Who was UConn's most spectacular player? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who was UConn's most spectacular player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am disappointed that Ryan isn't being listed. There is a reason, but still disapppointed not to be talking about him. I expected him to 'show out' with his size, speed, quickness, toughness, shooting, and 'spurtablility'.

I know Bazz took some seasons away, but this kid was to be a new and improved John Gwynn. I must say the reason attributing to this was his not so talented teammates his senior year. Sad story because he was one of the most explosive players to suit up.

I don't like thinking or talking about it, just wanted to give him a shout out in terms of UConn spectacular.

Reaction Score
I would go with Ray too, he was special. Hall of Famer. But Kemba gets into the conversation because he won a title while making so many amazing plays. His footwork, lightning quick first step, everything...he was exhilarating to watch that junior year.

And if we're talking about "spectacular," Rudy Gay does deserve mention. I remember sitting in the cheap seats at the Civic Center, behind the hoop. When he got the ball alone on the break, the whole section started to stand up and wait for something ridiculous to happen. Can't remember another UConn player who could add quite that level of pure excitement.

Reaction Score
Maybe not the most spectacular but Marcus Williams dazzled with his passing ability. Of course once Wingett gets here we will learn the real meaning of spectacular

Reaction Score
Ray with Kemba a close second. KEA because he wasn't afraid of JC. The first and probably only player.

Reaction Score
Ray... He could really take it to the rack back in the day,plus shoot the 3

Reaction Score
He is the best UConn lyricist of all time.

ed_nelson_2006_03_04.jpg

Reaction Score
Ray Allen, see NCAA loss to UCLA. We are not in that game without Ray!
UCLA players and coaches after the game said that Ray was by far the best player they had seen all year.

Reaction Score
Going old school. Definitely agree with Stormin Norman Bailey. He had the best jam I have seen in person in the old field house in Feb of 1980 in a double overtime loss to Villanova. He stole the ball at half court ,raced to the basket, double pumped over a Villanova defender and slammed it. HE was incredibly athletic. To bad he never reached his full potential.
Other old school nominees are Tony Hanson, Earl Kelley, Lee Otis Wilson and Mike McKay

Reaction Score
I'm going Kemba, Ray, Donyell. Ray and Donyell were amazing, but Kemba's buzzer beaters and lightning quickness was just mind blowing. I can't think of anything as spectacular as winning five games in five days in a loaded Big East.

Reaction Score
Need more love for Donyell. Until Kemba trumped him by winning the BE Title and National Championship, Donyell had the single greatest individual season in Husky history. 360 dunk among many things he did that no one else his size could do in college.

arch

Reaction Score
Going old school. Definitely agree with Stormin Norman Bailey. He had the best jam I have seen in person in the old field house in Feb of 1980 in a double overtime loss to Villanova. He stole the ball at half court ,raced to the basket, double pumped over a Villanova defender and slammed it. HE was incredibly athletic. To bad he never reached his full potential.
Other old school nominees are Tony Hanson, Earl Kelley, Lee Otis Wilson and Mike McKay
No Wes, no Toby?

Reaction Score
It seems we have varied definitions of spectacular.
Could be athletic ,shooting or even rebounding ,defense,and blocking shots.
From an eye popping achievement ,
the most spectacular record ever for a UConn player.
has to be Art Quimby averging 21.5 rebounds per game. That over 4 more a game
than Toby Kimball who was a rebounding machine.Toby once got 28 rebounds in an NCAA tourney loss to a team that went pretty far.
Other memorable
Ray against UCLA and Caron carrying the team were memorable.
But Kemba's thee weeks lifting a bunch a freshman to NC might be the best post season performance in BB history.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The late, great Wes Bialosuknia. If the three point shot had existed during his era, he would still be among the top five leading scorers in UCONN history to this day, including all the players who came after him that enjoyed four years of eligibility instead of only the three that Wes had. His 28/ppg average during his senior season remains a UCONN record, and without the three-point shot.

Reaction Score
No Wes, no Toby?
Just a little before my time. Never saw either play. Another player I forgot to mention was Jimmy Foster. If I remember correctly he was a left handed junior college transfer point gaurd

Reaction Score
Just a little before my time. Never saw either play. Another player I forgot to mention was Jimmy Foster. If I remember correctly he was a left handed junior college transfer point gaurd
Foster lead an upset of St John at MSG in the. Old NIT

Reaction Score
Ray. As a junior he shot 47% from 3 while taking 9 (!!!) per game, and was the undisputed No. 1 option - there was no doubt who defenses were gearing up to stop. They just couldn't stop him.

Go back and watch those games, and you'll see how fast he came around those screens and how precise his footwork was. He was always ready to catch-and-shoot, and if they closed out on him too hard he took it to the rack and yammed it. He was spectacular in every single way each of his last two seasons, and totally unstoppable.

Except for one f*&$ing lousy night in March. *sigh*
Plus.... He was competing with kittles, iverson, and a slew of other wings at that time. Similar to jeter vs tejada, nomar, arod, etc at the shortstop position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom