Who was UConn's most spectacular player? | The Boneyard

Who was UConn's most spectacular player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The case can be made for Kemba. His pass of the backboard to himself, he one handed underhanded toss from 35-feet against Texas. He certainly did some things we never saw before. Not to mention the buzzer beaters.

Of course, Rudy Gay was a highlight machine. Monster hops and finished with authority.

But Stanley Robinson takes a backseat to no man as an athletic freak. He had some halves with more high flying dunks than many careers.

Reaction Score
Ray. As a junior he shot 47% from 3 while taking 9 (!!!) per game, and was the undisputed No. 1 option - there was no doubt who defenses were gearing up to stop. They just couldn't stop him.

Go back and watch those games, and you'll see how fast he came around those screens and how precise his footwork was. He was always ready to catch-and-shoot, and if they closed out on him too hard he took it to the rack and yammed it. He was spectacular in every single way each of his last two seasons, and totally unstoppable.

Except for one f*&$ing lousy night in March. *sigh*

Reaction Score
Most spectacular moves from a uconn player? Gentle Ben for me. Devastating cross over and confident shooter, the ultimate bucket getter.

Reaction Score
And this by the newest Husky of Honor was one of the best in the history of UConn basketball. It starts with Caron tapping the rebound to himself.

Reaction Score
I'm always amazed that Rudy Gay gets mentioned with the upper tier elite of the program, even for things like "most spectacular player". He was completely forgettable for me and seemed as generic a "star" as they come.

My vote would be for Ben Gordon, dark horse candidate is Tony Robertson.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bazz, Kemba, Ben and KEA
All four did spectacular things at the most needed times

Reaction Score
I think people forget how explosive an athlete Ray Allen was. To me, he's still the most spectacular player we've had.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I recall when Caron saved the ball from out of bounds, as he was ready to kiss the stands he underhanded a pass to Taliek as he was running towards the basket. Caron was at half court and his pass was in front of Taliek and scored. Taking dog to animal hospital in 3 minutes. I would look it up. However great play, still clear in my mind.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I'm always amazed that Rudy Gay gets mentioned with the upper tier elite of the program, even for things like "most spectacular player". He was completely forgettable for me and seemed as generic a "star" as they come.

My vote would be for Ben Gordon, dark horse candidate is Tony Robertson.
He's pretty far from my favorite player, and I get that his teams underachieved (if 30 wins can be considered disappointing). Still, one day I would like to see Rudy Gay's name come up, in any context, without someone feeling the need to rip him. I do not get it.

Reaction Score
Scott Burrell was also a pretty amazing athlete. And this may be the most spectacular single play in UConn history. Scott jumps over Rodney Rogers and steals the ball.

They ran a 1-3-1 with Scottie running baseline, fun times.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The fact that there's even a discussion and so many names are being thrown out is a testament to the power of this program over the last 2 decades. 95% of programs would only have a single name to through into the ring for this thread and it would be over immediately.

Reaction Score
The fact that there's even a discussion and so many names are being thrown out is a testament to the power of this program over the last 2 decades. 95% of programs would only have a single name to through into the ring for this thread and it would be over immediately.

This same thread on the Davidson board has been going for 6 months.

Reaction Score
Ray Allen, see NCAA loss to UCLA. We are not in that game without Ray!

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
My favorites are just that because they often carried their team on their shoulders & managed to come through in clutch moments: Kemba, Shabazz & Ray. They also have warriors hearts & have never shied away from a big moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom