Who takes last shot? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who takes last shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Gotta be Nolan. If Nolan is taking the last shot, you have to be up by twenty.

Reaction Score
Gotta be Nolan. If Nolan is taking the last shot, you have to be up by twenty.
If it weren't Nolan shooting, it would be unsportsmanlike to shoot when you're up that much. But... it's Nolan.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If it weren't Nolan shooting, it would be unsportsmanlike to shoot when you're up that much. But... it's Nolan.

I'll always remember that dunk against MSU in '14.

Reaction Score
Scotty has it right. You want a guard that can drive and shake, and shoot. But its key they can shoot from the foul line if they get hit. What did Gibbs shoot from the line last year? Hope it was better than Purvis. He probably also has a little better shake to him. Rodney's a bigger guy and has lots of power but I don't recall seeing him shaking defenders that often. Will be fun to see if a frosh can enter into this conversation but he needs to play more at this level before we can say he's the guy. No doubt we are over analyzing this.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I could see Gibbs and Adams playing off of each other as the season develops, one driving and either shooting if open or dishing to the open man. It seems like Jalen may have an edge in the "quickness to get past a defender" category, but that remains to be seen. In the mean time, I think that Sterling is our "last shot" guy, or at least has the ball in his hands to get the shot or draw a defender and dish.

Reaction Score
DHam, Rodney, Gibbs, Adams? Depends on situation and who's hot, who has a good match up in their advantage. As of now we can only guess, as the year goes on it may turn out to the go-to-guy or even guys.

Reaction Score
I'd go with a walk on. The other team isn't even likely to guard him. The element of surprise....

Reaction Score
Just bought tickets to opening night at Gampel. CANNOT WAIT! But, yeah, hopefully we won't need a last second shot to beat Maine.

Reaction Score
Gibbs high screen n roll with miller is probably the go to set in crunch time ; Gibbs is the most clutch player on the team and miller is the best screen setter.

Reaction Score
If it has to be one person, I'm going with Gibbs. He's shown he can do it at SHU and his stroke really is great, I mean that thing is good.
He couldn't have had that much practice though

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The majority of our last shots will be taken by walk ons.
It took me a second to "get" this, but I see what you did there.

For what it is worth, I think that our last shot game planning is going to look different. Instead of running down the clock and setting up a one on one opportunity, look for more effective ball movement and more shots in the paint. If that's correct, it would be Miller and DHam. Right now I think that Ollie's thinking that he wants DHam to be "the guy" but having options is going to be key. Look for Ollie to exploit mismatches more than rely on "the guy."

Last edited:

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This year is different, we don't have 1 sure-fire guy who will take the final shot, and that's NOT a bad thing. Because if we don't know who's taking the last shot, neither does the opponent... so they have to account for everyone which means they have less room for error.

Who takes the last shot of a game depends on a few key factors:
1) Match-ups -what is our opponent's personnel (big/small) and what have they been trying to take away from us defensively (are they pressing/zone)?
2) Game flow - who's shooting/playing well that game?
3) Game situation -how much time is left? do we need a 2 or a 3?

KO will draw up a play with 2 primary options and maybe a 3rd fall-back option depending on the situations above. What transpires during the play will determine who takes the final shot.

My random guess... Gibbs/D-Ham will be primary options with Purv or Adams as the desperation 3rd. But again, our personnel all depends on the above scenarios.
If we need a quick 2 and there's some time left, I think we let Purv drive to the hoop.
If we need a 3 and there's only a few seconds, I think Gibbs takes the shot.
If we need a 2 and there's only a few seconds left, I think D-Ham drives the lane maybe pulls up mid-range.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The majority of our last shots will be taken by walk ons.

If a walk-on pulls the trigger in that spot, it'll be HIS last shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom