Who takes last shot? | The Boneyard

Who takes last shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe I posted this same question during the offseason, but it has more relevance right now. Now I am wondering who is the go to guy in a tight game? Who can be the Walker/Napier guy? Gibbs is the best option IMO, but will he take control coming into a program with more experienced guys looking for opportunities around him? (Purvis/Hamilton) What do you guys think will happen?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm starting to think we've been thinking about this all wrong. It's a blessing to have so many guys who can take it, keeps the defense off balance. And KO's ability to draw up inbounds plays is one of his biggest X & O Strengths.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to think we've been thinking about this all wrong. It's a blessing to have so many guys who can take it, keeps the defense off balance. And KO's ability to draw up inbounds plays is one of his biggest X & O Strengths.
So just to be clear you think multiple guys can step up and take over a game?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If it has to be one person, I'm going with Gibbs. He's shown he can do it at SHU and his stroke really is great, I mean that thing is good.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
So just to be clear you think multiple guys can step up and take over a game?
Gibbs, Purvis, Adams, Hamilton and Miller are all capable of going off offensively IMO.

Reaction Score
I'm taking Gibbs, he's hit game winners for SH and was also their end of shot clock guy.

Reaction Score
I'm taking Gibbs, he's hit game winners for SH and was also their end of shot clock guy.
Is he going to be comfortable telling Purvis to move over, being a first year guy at UConn? That's my only question

Reaction Score
A fair question. WE haven't lived Gibbs yet but he is a clear candidate having done at a high level just what aceboon said. I can also see giving it to Purvis to take it strong depending on matchups. DHam is another that can get his shot almost any time but doesn't have Gibbs pedigree. Who knows how Jalen grows but he doesn't get my Election Day vote for the coming season.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Gibbs for sure. He's a vet. Or Brimah as long as it's St. Joe's baby hook and-one.

Reaction Score
I think at this point it's pretty much an unknown.

It could absolutely end up being situational though.

If we're just looking for a bucket, Miller is a great option, DHam gets into the lane pretty easily and usually gets a decent look, Rodney can get himself to the foul line (Knocking the free throws down on the other hand...)

If were looking for an outside shot, the obvious person to look to would be Gibbs, but who knows? Jalen could end up being that guy, and if his year ends up playing out well... Why not Omar?

I think the exciting part about this team is that we know that there is a lot of talent there, and at least one of these guys is gonna WANT to step up and be the guy who takes the last shot. Let's see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
If we are down I would prefer someone other than purvis until he can prove he can make foul shots. Gibbs would be preference if you need a quick two I say Miller or dham

Reaction Score
Outside shot Gibbs, if we go inside it's definitely Miller, but If they are covered I can see Adams taking it and starting next year, he will be the one from then on.

Reaction Score
Just thought I would share a quote from Cushing Academy's coach who coached Jalen Adams in 2014.

"I'm not telling you he's the best player in the country, that's not my point, but the game comes to him easier than anyone else," Connors said. "He's just in the right spot. If there's a loose ball, it ends up in his hands. We need a rebound, he gets it. He's got that 'it' factor. He's had, like, six game-winning shots the last two years."

I watched the tampa game. I saw a HUNGRY Adams out there. Basically licking his chops to get the ball. He made mistakes, sure. Give him some games and I expect great things to happen...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
whoever has the ball in their hands when the clock says 00.01
I would say Gibbs has the most experience in this area but I think the young JA would relish the opportunity
Have reservations about RP.
Would love to see DHam do it but will he have the confidence
A freshman OC would be nice but don't know if the very uneven performance since that time will allow him the confidence
They have options

H

huskymagic

Just thought I would share a quote from Cushing Academy's coach who coached Jalen Adams in 2014.

"I'm not telling you he's the best player in the country, that's not my point, but the game comes to him easier than anyone else," Connors said. "He's just in the right spot. If there's a loose ball, it ends up in his hands. We need a rebound, he gets it. He's got that 'it' factor. He's had, like, six game-winning shots the last two years."

I watched the tampa game. I saw a HUNGRY Adams out there. Basically licking his chops to get the ball. He made mistakes, sure. Give him some games and I expect great things to happen...

Alfonse totally agree 100%. Best post on this thread. Jalen Adams has the hunger, desire, composure, and talent that it takes to be an ALPHA. Jalen is our most talented player, and that's saying something with Hamilton, Brimah, and Purvis on this team. If I had to pick a player to get me a bucket in crunch time, Adams would be the guy.
I don' t trust Purvis or D-Ham in last second situations, too erratic and their handle isn't tight. Sterling would be my second option after Jalen with Miller a third option in the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom