Who starts? (And why) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who starts? (And why)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Bria Hartley is not a point guard. Moriah will start; Bria will be the shooting guard. KML, Breanna and Stef will start up front. Morgan will get the minutes of a starter. Brianna shouldn't be rushed. It's up to Kiah as to how much time she'll play. Saniya will get more minutes than I imagine most people would think. She is going to be a special player.
If Hartley is in the game with Jefferson, you are correct. But when Uconn goes with Hartley and Lewis in the backcourt, Hartley will be playing point. Plenty of minutes with that lineup.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Bria Hartley was all over the floor during the NCAA Tmt last yer also! Defensively she was awesome, steals & disrupting passing lanes, and was pushing the ball like crazy and distributing! Even if she isn't shooting as well as she used too- she is a great player!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
MoJef is going to be starting. She was a great PG in HS and had a stellar USA run this summer. Last year was a struggle for her as it is with most PGs transitioning from HS to college but she finally learned how to use her speed and be in control and she had a very nice run in the postseason. This team does not need her to score much - heck, they are going to have a hard enough time finding enough shots for KML, Dolson, Stewart, and Hartley. She is needed to set the pace and distribute as needed and that was what she learned last year and through the summer. I do expect both her outside shooting and her drives to the basket to improve as she has gained the confidence of when to do those things. And her defense is solid and will improve - she may get posted by some larger guards, but she has great leaping ability and timing and will get some help if that happens.
The other starters - Stef, Stewart, KML, and Hartley
I think we will see Stef's minutes managed early to make sure she does not have any recurrence of her foot problems - she is healthy now, but bigs put added pressure on their feet and ankles, and both issues she had sometimes can become chronic. So I expect Kiah to get a long look to see if her summer confidence can be carried over into games. I think Morgan, Kiah, and BB will alternate being first off the bench depending on circumstances in the game, and Chong will get worked in slowly.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Mo
Bria
KML
Bree
Stef

First off the bench will be Morgan. She showed this summer what a leader she is in being selected as the team captain. I think if she has an injury free season, we will see why she was one of the top 5 kids in her class. I also think this year Kiah gets 20+ minutes per game. If Geno still shows frustration with her effort on the court, it could be less, but really I don't think he will have a choice unless he wants to play Stef, Briana and KML 30-35 MPG.

I think Banks will be brought along slowly and Chong will struggle with the speed and strength required at the college level. I think early on in the season we will see Brianna and Saniya getting less than 10 minutes per game. Depending on how Saniya develops, her PT could go up in the 2nd half of the season. Depending on how Brianna recovers will also determine the amount of PT she gets.

Honestly I'd like to see no one over 30 minutes per game, but I keep thinking that even if they all average no more than 25 MPG, that extra 5 minutes they are "saving" will really have no impact on their potential for injuries, etc, since practices are way harder than games anyway. We always worry about kids tiring out by the end of the season, but I think that has far less to do with wear and tear from playing time in games, and more to do with practicing hard for 2+ hours every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom