who rates these girls ?????????? | The Boneyard

who rates these girls ??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saniya is ranked 75th by espn hoopgurlz, 30th by blue star, and yet is one of the twenty young women to play in the wbca high school girls ALL-AMERICAN Game. What gives with these rankings? That much of a spread between different recruiting services. So you invite a 75th ranked player, yet leave all those above her off? Mind Boggling and confusing to say the least.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Saniya is ranked 75th by espn hoopgurlz, 30th by blue star, and yet is one of the twenty young women to play in the wbca high school girls ALL-AMERICAN Game. What gives with these rankings? That much of a spread between different recruiting services. So you invite a 75th ranked player, yet leave all those above her off? Mind Boggling and confusing to say the least.
A lot goes into the rankings. Some of the gurus are located in the West Coast with may be one East Coast ref, so unless the girl goes to the bitg AAU tourneys out west, the service may not have a lot of chances to see her. What if she has a bad game or is playing with the flu? With few viewings, a bad game may be the impression the service is left with.

Then, there's the rankings themselves. Is the service ranking girls on their relative ability now or how they project the girls will end up after college? It's important to know what filter the service is viewing the girls through.

Then, there's the scout himself. Maybe he likes a big scorer and the kid is a Kelly Faris type. Some scouts like uber-athletes or whatever. It's all so subjective.

Rankings are fun for fans but other than offering a chance for bragging rights, they don't really mean a lot.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Geno has said he thinks trying to rate high school athletes is a colossal wasting their time.

Reaction Score
th

Reaction Score
WBCA is heavy Nike heavy college coach influence, the fact she's going to UConn weighs more heavily than rankings. Her playing year round with her high school teams in blue chip tournaments that most major services don't attend didn't allow her to get viewed then some evaluators. Many have said publicly and privately that she would need to play against the so called elite or in a "major" event to move up. USA Basketball trials & Nike TOC was good enough for blue star who has publicly stated that they really love her. Most of these rankings are but a big game for selling books at tournaments having high ranked players at their events. We put too much stock in something that should be only a guide as its the Gospel of if a kid can play or not.

Reaction Score

Some "talent scouts" have a pre-concieved vision of a great basketball player. Some also are not always altruistic in their projections. It is up to the college coach to sort through the external player evaluations and their own internal looks to see which service is most consistent with their player thoughts. Note: this is only the best way if you are part of a winning program. If you find yourself in agreement with a service and lose with the kids you want, then you may be a bad coach or sourcing a bad scout evaluation. USA basketball has long stated that they are putting together teams that can win not strictly the 12 most popular all americans. I believe that even carried thru to the men's olympic team. You had to scratch your head on some of the picks but it worked out. They were a talented team that could play together and win. Saniya could be ranked 200th and still be the best pick for Uconn in her class. I am curious where ASGR might have her ranked.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
If we look at the UCONN Women's roster, what would be the conclusion regarding rankings?

Reaction Score
Some "talent scouts" have a pre-concieved vision of a great basketball player. Some also are not always altruistic in their projections. It is up to the college coach to sort through the external player evaluations and their own internal looks to see which service is most consistent with their player thoughts. Note: this is only the best way if you are part of a winning program. If you find yourself in agreement with a service and lose with the kids you want, then you may be a bad coach or sourcing a bad scout evaluation. USA basketball has long stated that they are putting together teams that can win not strictly the 12 most popular all americans. I believe that even carried thru to the men's olympic team. You had to scratch your head on some of the picks but it worked out. They were a talented team that could play together and win. Saniya could be ranked 200th and still be the best pick for Uconn in her class. I am curious where ASGR might have her ranked.

Good post. Chong is #20 with asgr. I know of 4 instances where i was told that people have paid for rankings or higher rankings. I know of one evaluator that gave the money back. There is a dark side to this although 4 is not a lot im sure there must have been a few others. Of course dont take what im saying as fact because i could be making it up, but im not. I see Chong around 30 so plus or minus 10 should be about correct in a ranking in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom