Who opts in to Charlie Baker's plan? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who opts in to Charlie Baker's plan?

Reaction Score
FSU is losing a star DE to the portal. He went to the coach’s office and demanded an extra $100 k to play. He was told ….we love you…but No.

The kid has now deleted his goodbye tweet...and hasn't yet entered the Portal...so...who knows ?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
1. Whether a school opts in or out does NOT affect their FBS status (at least for now) or Division 1 status.

2. Whether a school plays FBS football, FCS football, or no football has no bearing on their ability to opt in or opt out.

3. Charlie Baker now thinks it will be closer to 100 schools opting in.

Here is who I think will opt in:

P4 (including ND)
Big East (including UConn football)
Gonzaga
Oregon State
Washington State
MW (except for Air Force)
AAC (except for Army and Navy)
Liberty
UTEP
James Madison
Appalachian State
St. Louis
Dayton
VCU
UMass

Total: 113 schools

Reaction Score
It seems like it would make things super confusing if the whole conference didn't have to opt in or out. That would be like some teams being FBS and some FCS having the different scholarship rules in the same conference. It doesn't really make too much sense.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
College sports just lost an antitrust case 9-0 at the U.S. Supreme Court. These justices can't agree on anything and trash each other publicly, but they agreed 9-0 that college sports was violating antitrust law. College sports then addressed the specifics of the Alston case, and went right back to acting like the rest of its anti-competitive, cartel behavior was legal.

Baker's proposal is less problematic then doing nothing, but I think the major conferences are going to do nothing, or something really stupid like splitting off. The next step after that will be that major conferences are going to get sued and lose badly

Reaction Score
Will UConn even have a spot in this plan?? If based on football, I highly doubt it.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
It seems like it would make things super confusing if the whole conference didn't have to opt in or out. That would be like some teams being FBS and some FCS having the different scholarship rules in the same conference. It doesn't really make too much sense.
It would be like high school sports in CT. You are in a conference of schools comprised of teams who all don't compete in the same state tournament but still vie for same conference title. Not sure if this model would work in college

Reaction Score
It would be like high school sports in CT. You are in a conference of schools comprised of teams who all don't compete in the same state tournament but still vie for same conference title. Not sure if this model would work in college
I'm still not convinced this would be a separate tournament. It's all a mess. This a proposal. The final results remains to be seen

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The NCAA loses again in court on antitrust grounds. Courts HATE college sports, both at the NCAA level, and as a cartel. It would be the peak of idiocy for the P4 to risk a court case. They would lose so badly and so definitively, that the commissioners and university presidents are at risk of a breach of fiduciary lawsuit if they led their institutions into litigation that they were so obviously going to lose.

Reaction Score
Conferences will vote as one. All BE teams will have to pay both the men’s and women’s teams. At the proposed 30k it’s not a huge amount. The problem is if the P4 decides to pay 100k per player or separates their football and basketball programs from the university itself. This would force us to drop football, but not hoops. It might make a lot of sense to just fund basketball without the financial burden of football.

Reaction Score

The NCAA loses again in court on antitrust grounds. Courts HATE college sports, both at the NCAA level, and as a cartel. It would be the peak of idiocy for the P4 to risk a court case. They would lose so badly and so definitively, that the commissioners and university presidents are at risk of a breach of fiduciary lawsuit if they led their institutions into litigation that they were so obviously going to lose.

Sure there may have been collusion between NCAA and networks.

At some point the big networks might have decided that the dilution of the product through way too many teams was an issue and they knew they had to get it down to a more reasonable NFL style number of teams.

Purposely creating a have and have not situation and the marketing of one or two leagues and killing off the others is a strategy...

When the Pac 10 began to negotiate its TV contract, it was caught off guard. They did not realize that their product was no longer deemed worthy or even necessary. They negotiated and got left with no real offer..

And that was great for the networks because if the Pac could be dismantled, the networks could take whoever they wanted and toss the rest aside. So the networks took the four name brands, and off they went. The SEC took Texas and Oklahoma from the B12 on the way to consolidation.

I have seen where this is going for some time...and so have my booster club contacts. Going up against the establishment and their paid hacks wins no friends...but I am hoping that the the few who are kicking may bring some oversight to this process.

I’m not really sure how I feel about this but the reality of it is it is the destruction of college football as we have known it.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Conferences will vote as one. All BE teams will have to pay both the men’s and women’s teams. At the proposed 30k it’s not a huge amount. The problem is if the P4 decides to pay 100k per player or separates their football and basketball programs from the university itself. This would force us to drop football, but not hoops. It might make a lot of sense to just fund basketball without the financial burden of football.

Yup.

This plan is just a "conversation starter".

The schools that would opt in are going to leave the NCAA anyways. This is just Baker making a limp wristed effort to stop it.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yup.

This plan is just a "conversation starter".

The schools that would opt in are going to leave the NCAA anyways. This is just Baker making a limp wristed effort to stop it.
Nobody is leaving the NCAA. In the next five years, the Supreme Court will rule that student athletes are employees. This plan will be long forgotten by then.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Us?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

IMG_1723.jpeg

Reaction Score
My advice to all UConn fans at this juncture is not to listen to or read anything on this topic. Things will change a hundred times before they get set in stone. Your head should already be hurting and will hurt a lot more if you continue to pay attention. (To wit, how did you feel when the Pac12 disbanded and UConn's place in the B12 went shimmering into the ether.) And finally UConn and its fans will have zero influence in the final structure which means Rule Number One will be inserted firmly uno where. Try not to cry when it happens. And it will be much worse if you follow every little curve in the road. Best to sleep through it.

Reaction Score
Sure there may have been collusion between NCAA and networks.

At some point the big networks might have decided that the dilution of the product through way too many teams was an issue and they knew they had to get it down to a more reasonable NFL style number of teams.

Purposely creating a have and have not situation and the marketing of one or two leagues and killing off the others is a strategy...

When the Pac 10 began to negotiate its TV contract, it was caught off guard. They did not realize that their product was no longer deemed worthy or even necessary. They negotiated and got left with no real offer..

And that was great for the networks because if the Pac could be dismantled, the networks could take whoever they wanted and toss the rest aside. So the networks took the four name brands, and off they went. The SEC took Texas and Oklahoma from the B12 on the way to consolidation.

I have seen where this is going for some time...and so have my booster club contacts. Going up against the establishment and their paid hacks wins no friends...but I am hoping that the the few who are kicking may bring some oversight to this process.

I’m not really sure how I feel about this but the reality of it is it is the destruction of college football as we have known it.
Eventually Congress, and the Supreme Court will get involved. When Congress gets involved, and they will the TV executives, College AD's, and they will have to answer questions. They also will have to open books provide contracts, and many other documents.
The whole cartel will end up coming down around their ears.
Schools will lose their tax exempt status, and find that big business isn't the way they want to go.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Eventually Congress, and the Supreme Court will get involved. When Congress gets involved, and they will the TV executives, College AD's, and they will have to answer questions. They also will have to open books provide contracts, and many other documents.
The whole cartel will end up coming down around their ears.
Schools will lose their tax exempt status, and find that big business isn't the way they want to go.
I doubt it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Everything the NCAA or any permutation of the NCAA (like the P4) does is an antitrust violation and will lose in court. The NCAA or some organization is going to need legislation to enable it to regulate the sport.

Reaction Score
The US is unique in offering free education for athletes because sports at that level enjoy a popularity unheard of elsewhere..The assumpion of the sustainability of that model in the face of exponential cost increases is naive.
The idea that athletes are not compensated flies in the face of a generation saddled with tremendous student debt..
I come from a family of good athletes with no delusion of becoming a professional like 99 % of all scholarship athletes. They have used this skill to make a step up the socio economic ladder through education at schools typically beyond their means.
Thats an important model ,that Congress in their focus on the few wealthy schools and their typical lack of ever addressing the possible negative effects of legislation never consider . Their good intentions could throw the baby out with the bath water.which would be a disaster.for the country .

Reaction Score
The US is unique in offering free education for athletes because sports at that level enjoy a popularity unheard of elsewhere..The assumpion of the sustainability of that model in the face of exponential cost increases is naive.
The idea that athletes are not compensated flies in the face of a generation saddled with tremendous student debt..
I come from a family of good athletes with no delusion of becoming a professional like 99 % of all scholarship athletes. They have used this skill to make a step up the socio economic ladder through education at schools typically beyond their means.
Thats an important model ,that Congress in their focus on the few wealthy schools and their typical lack of ever addressing the possible negative effects of legislation never consider . Their good intentions could throw the baby out with the bath water.which would be a disaster.for the country .
People will find out quick that you can't make all athletes into employees... only some. And that line is going to make a mess of both athletics and even clubs at larger universities.

What is the line between football and a special scholarshipped chess team?

Sure major state university football may look like employees but not everybody will fit that role. Where is the line

Reaction Score
People will find out quick that you can't make all athletes into employees... only some. And that line is going to make a mess of both athletics and even clubs at larger universities.

What is the line between football and a special scholarshipped chess team?

Sure major state university football may look like employees but not everybody will fit that role. Where is the line
If they are employees will the have to go to class?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom