Who opts in to Charlie Baker's plan? | The Boneyard

Who opts in to Charlie Baker's plan?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Granted, this will not be the final plan, but who opts in?

Here is my guess:
P4 (ND, SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Big 12)
Big East (including UConn football; other BE schools all drop football)
Gonzaga
OSU/WSU/MW (not including Air Force)
AAC (not including Army and Navy)
Dayton
St. Louis
VCU

Reaction Score
I got a feeling Congress might opt in on that that plan or the courts . as it’s reeks of monopoly , and possibly an attempt to restrict interstate commerce.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I got a feeling Congress might opt in on that that plan or the courts . as it’s reeks of monopoly , and possibly an attempt to restrict interstate commerce.
How? They aren't leaving Division 1 and there is no cap on compensation.

Reaction Score
They have been headed this way for a while...the big brands break away.

Baker of NCAA:

The model “gives the educational institutions with the most visibility, the most financial resources and the biggest brands an opportunity to choose to operate with a different set of rules that more accurately reflect their scale and their operating model,” he writes.

• 59 DI schools spend more than $100 million on athletics; another 32 DI schools spend over $50 million; and a whopping 259 spend less than $50 million, with half of those spending less than $25 million.

• On average, 1.8 percent of Power Five athletic budgets are subsidized by student fees while about 15 percent of budgets in the rest of the DI schools are funded by student fees.

A vast majority of those within the NCAA — the 95 percent, perhaps — have begun to publicly and privately encourage the high-revenue producing athletic departments to distance themselves from the rest of the pack.

Reaction Score
well, if one sees it as pay to employees then it is absolutely a cartel to restrict those incomes. the NCAA is playing a dangerous game but these just have to be seen as proposals meant to be beaten around.

Reaction Score

Here is my guess:
Gonzaga
Dayton
St. Louis
VCU

Schools that are pulling in $20-$30M minimum in media earnings and the few that don’t that have donors with unlimited money to burn.

Reaction Score

Here is my guess:
Gonzaga
Dayton
St. Louis
VCU

Okay. How are Dayton, Charlotte, VCU and etc. going to pay for all this?

Reaction Score
VCU has almost 30k students and $3 billion endowment.

I'm sure programs in the Sun Belt and MAC will do their best to opt in but at some point it will be too obscene. All those schools have more students than Wake Forest but at some point, even Wake with 9k students has to be thinking, this is not what we are.

Reaction Score
VCU has almost 30k students and $3 billion endowment.

I'm sure programs in the Sun Belt and MAC will do their best to opt in but at some point it will be too obscene. All those schools have more students than Wake Forest but at some point, even Wake with 9k students has to be thinking, this is not what we are.

Isn’t this for a new FBS Subdivision? So is VCU launching a football program?

Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if the teams who "opt-in" to the new subdivision don't pass a rule requiring that football be fully funded. Saves them having to dilute their revenues with those who opt not to support football.

They will just keep raising the bar until they hit the number and the schools that they want.

Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if the teams who "opt-in" to the new subdivision don't pass a rule requiring that football be fully funded. Saves them having to dilute their revenues with those who opt not to support football.
What revenues would they be sharing?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Okay. How are Dayton, Charlotte, VCU and etc. going to pay for all this?
They don’t have to pay for football. (Charlotte will). This will really only cost VCU an additional 3-5 million per year. If it were 20-30 million, I could see it being a problem, but 3-5 is manageable.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
That reeks of anti-trust. This proposal is as extreme as it is going to get. It will get watered down further.

Reaction Score
They don’t have to pay for football. (Charlotte will). This will really only cost VCU an additional 3-5 million per year. If it were 20-30 million, I could see it being a problem, but 3-5 is manageable.

So VCU is joining an FBS subdivision?

Reaction Score
Don’t think it is extreme given the courts’ stance on having athletes share in the bounty the big brands are spending $ 7 million or more to pay a head coach, pouring money into facility…even paying ex coaches millions to go sit at home. If the program is bringing in 125-200 million per year…they will have to send some the athletes way. If you don’t have as much coming in, well you have less. Play with folks in the same category.

Reaction Score
FSU is losing a star DE to the portal. He went to the coach’s office and demanded an extra $100 k to play. He was told ….we love you…but No.

Reaction Score
FSU is losing a star DE to the portal. He went to the coach’s office and demanded an extra $100 k to play. He was told ….we love you…but No.
Now he gets to see if he can get that or not. Look we've seen this over the years with the NBA draft. There's a lot of people out there with more dollars in their ears from their friends and interests than there are actually dollars out there.

Reaction Score

Here is my guess:
Gonzaga
Dayton
St. Louis
VCU
Sec opts out. Why limit?

Reaction Score
That reeks of anti-trust. This proposal is as extreme as it is going to get. It will get watered down further.
So it's ok to set the bar as you are willing to spend XX amount per athlete; but not that you have to participate in YY sport? They both are fairly arbitrary. The NCAA already has rules that say you must sponsor a certain number of sports, it's not hard to envision the power schools adding a requirement that football be one of them, in their special subdivision, especially when you get to set the rules. Schools who want to opt-in can opt to fully fund football... it's not any more or less "anti-trust," it's a choice those schools can make to opt-in; but the bar is not going to be set at a level to encourage non-football program participation in the top level.

What revenues would they be sharing?
There are still television rights fees to be shared by that divisions championships. Those schools who elect in will still be apart of conferences. This whole move is about the power schools consolidating their power, but mostly about consolidating the money among themselves and limiting eliminating paying out tens of millions to the "Lesser" schools with the rights fees to the championships in football and men's basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom