Who on here is a UConn Alum? And who is not? I am. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Who on here is a UConn Alum? And who is not? I am.

Reaction Score
Go WesConn!!!
Not an alum. Graduate of Bucknell. Wife went to same HS as Geno and knew his family, cousin in particular (all in family lived in same house after coming over from Italy). Watched Geno play in HS at Palestra. Amazed that an Italian from Phila area would take a women's basketball coaching job in Conn and have followed UConn since game 1.

Reaction Score
two years at Wtby branch when it was on the hill and 2 years at Storrs, Class of '77; grad degree from Villanova so I get to cheer on lots of good teams. Lived on South Campus in Crawford. Had lots of fun at Jury's Tavern and saw lots of good bands at the place down the hill in or near Willimantic -- can't recall the name but it was big old red barn type building that is no longer there. Became a fan in the early 90s. Just back from the Toronto game and traveled west to Eugene and Reno. Appreciate the team style of play.

Reaction Score
I lived in Hanks B at the time and it was a very easy walk to Ted's!

A lot the the women basketball players would attend Teds. I heard the (civic)pub does not exist anymore?! Is huskies still there?

Reaction Score
A lot the the women basketball players would attend Teds. I heard the (civic)pub does not exist anymore?! Is huskies still there?
I'm not sure about Huskies - I went there a lot too. We used to play a lot of drinking games there...lol.
I used to play racquetball every afternoon and then hang out and watch whatever game was being played in the field house. I truly loved it there. When my parents pulled me out because of my grades I was devastated, but I couldn't blame them.

Reaction Score
There wasn't a CS major. It was a concentration in the EE dept. So it's not a official CS degree, but I took more CS courses than Math.

I started in '68 and there were a fair number of courses available. Including one that used an aged (even then) IBM 704 in the School of Business building. There was a room full of assorted DEC PDPs in the new computer center and an IBM 360 that appeared to be dedicated to CS coursework.
I was working on Honeywell computers in the Navy in 1971. Still working with computers. Pays the bills. Thankfully still employed.

Reaction Score
UConn grad. Class of 1991. Like others have posted, the field house was fun. I use to run the track while the women's team would practice basketball. Heck I was probably one of the blockheads that CD complained about for knocking down the hurdles as I tried to jump over them!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"UConn" people, not UCONN. Its not an acronym.

#petpeeve
Take it up with the University

1024x1024.jpg

In the meantime, do it correctly, UCONN.

#petpeeve#grammarnazi

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not an alumnus. Lived in CT for a few years....hated it. Moved north to MA to escape. Followed women's/girls basketball since the late 70's. (IL HS Girls State Championships - Elite Eight on - were televised) Started following UCONN around the 93-95 seasons. CPTV I'm sure. Found the Courant's "Boneyard" around 95/96? seasons, been around ever since (much to the dismay of moderators and posters alike). Consider myself a contrarian, witty, basketball savant, .....but mostly I'm just a smart@ss. :cool:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Grew up in Wethersifield, but not an alum: BA from Brandeis and MA and PhD from Johns Hopkins. Lived/taught in Oregon since 1985. (And, yes, I so miss good lacrosse!) Actually was a fan of the men's BB team back when they lost to Duke in the NCAAs (late 60s, maybe?); my 88-year-old sister, who still lives in Wethersfield, is the reason I started following "our girls" (her words) in the early 90s.

Reaction Score
Not an alumnus. Lived in CT for a few years....hated it. Moved north to MA to escape. Followed women's/girls basketball since the late 70's. (IL HS Girls State Championships - Elite Eight on - were televised) Started following UCONN around the 93-95 seasons. CPTV I'm sure. Found the Courant's "Boneyard" around 95/96? seasons, been around ever since (much to the dismay of moderators and posters alike). Consider myself a contrarian, witty, basketball savant, .....but mostly I'm just a smart@ss. :cool:
Myers you are Barack said to Hillary '' you're not so bad Myers".I started in Storrs in 68 and lived in Eagleville next to the firehouse catycorner to Spiro's . th2en out to Willimantic for a semester before my apt burned down, then out to Coventry for 3 years . Bartended @Chuck's in Farmington then Mansfiel. I was a major financial supporter of virtually every bar in the neighborhood including The Barn, A's and I's and the joint at the Eagleville end of Coventry Lake oh yeah I also attended a few classes. Not surprisingly I attended AA for the next 43 years and all is well.

Reaction Score
I listened to that one. The shot clock makes that tactic a thing of the past. That was, if my old memory serves, the Doug Melody show.

Most fun game in my time at school was UConn over Rutgers where it became Wes B. Vs. Bobby Lloyd. Two of the leading scorers in the country lived up to their billing, Wes 40-Lloyd 39.
I remember they had to give oxygen to Melody during one of the time outs. I don't think he even was a starter during the regular season but Uconn lost two starters and a reserve just prior to that game. I don't remember if it was for disciplinary or academic reasons.

I remember listening to the Wes versus Bobby Lloyd game. On the freshman team when Wes was on it, he was not considered the star. Bill Holowaty was the big star but injuries kept him from being all he might have been.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I remember they had to give oxygen to Melody during one of the time outs. I don't think he even was a starter during the regular season but Uconn lost two starters and a reserve just prior to that game. I don't remember if it was for disciplinary or academic reasons.

I remember listening to the Wes versus Bobby Lloyd game. On the freshman team when Wes was on it, he was not considered the star. Bill Holowaty was the big star but injuries kept him from being all he might have been.

You’re right about that Freshman team .Holowaty was deadly.But leg injuries hampered him throughout his career. Tom Penders didn’t even start for that team. A guy name PJ Curran did but as their carrers evolved Penders was the overall better player.

The slow down game happened because several players were suspended due to, as it turned out, false charges of I think theft. The belief was that gamblers were behind the story.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
two years at Wtby branch when it was on the hill and 2 years at Storrs, Class of '77; grad degree from Villanova so I get to cheer on lots of good teams. Lived on South Campus in Crawford. Had lots of fun at Jury's Tavern and saw lots of good bands at the place down the hill in or near Willimantic -- can't recall the name but it was big old red barn type building that is no longer there. Became a fan in the early 90s. Just back from the Toronto game and traveled west to Eugene and Reno. Appreciate the team style of play.
Shaboo iirc. I was there same time frame!

Reaction Score
In reading many of these posts, I've gleaned that some of the posters are not UConn alums, but I haven't really been able to tell who is. So I thought I would ask. :) And if you do reply, how did you come to be a fan?

I graduated UConn before they even had a women's team. I used to play hoops daily in the old Field House, which Geno and CD fondly describe as the place they practiced while the track team was running around the track surrounding the court. I watched MANY men's games in the same venue, when they were members of the old Yankee Conference. Interestingly, there was a group of black students who remained seated during the national anthem, which did not bother me in the least. Kaepernick was definitely not the first!

I also attended Yale graduate school, but when people ask where I went to school I always say, "UConn," because that is where my fondest memories reside. And with 11 women's national championships and 4 men's championships, it is where the bulk of my most enjoyable fan moments have originated as well!

CLAS 1975
Why does it matter?

Reaction Score
UCONN 71 and UCONN 74 married 44 years. She and friends picked me hitchhiking back from Yale UCONN in 70. (Good move????) You'll have ask her I guess). UCONN (men) since I was 11 (TIC with my Dad) Ladies since Geno's 1st year. Live near SYRucks and thank God for SNY. Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
Nope.

B.A. Smith College, 1986
M.AL.S. Wesleyan, 1989
M.A., Hollins, 1994

I became a UConn fan when I moved to CT in 1986, though I admit to rooting for Stanford in their 1990 championship game. I was away for the weekend at the Newport Goat Island. The front desk gave us a free extended checkout (it started out as the Never-Ending Weekend, or something like it, but then continued on) in the room to allow us to watch the end of the game. (Coincidentally, this was the same year -- and hotel-- in which I also saw the end of the Tyson-Douglas fight just a few months earlier. And I was also accidentally in Newport in 1983 the day that the USA lost the Americas Cup. Not sure what this all means. . . and who among you might even care. . . )

I was always a women's sports fan (um, Smith College anyone?), but the paucity of televised women's basketball games in 1986 and shortly thereafter made that a challenge.

In 1995, I left work early and drove to Gampel to welcome home the champions. I lived under an hour away and it seemed like a great idea (and it was) at the time. The place was rocking and I will always cherish the vision of Kara Wolters dancing her heart out on the floor when they got back. Those were the days that you could still drive up and get seats to watch a championship team.

Reaction Score
Not an alum. Grew up and live outside of Albany, NY. SUNY Oswego undergrad ('94) and Russell Sage Graduate School ('97). I played and appreciate disciplined teams that thrive on teamwork and hustle. I also love that my eleven year old son is a big fan and the team poster is proudly displayed on his bedroom door for all to see.

Reaction Score
Had to check dates with my 95-year old Mom who never misses a game!

Raised in Bristol. My Dad did his Masters (ME) in '55-'56. With 4 kids, I was usually sent along with Dad to give Mom a break, and waited in the car while he went to evening class (after his work). I was 5-6, so I do remember wandering around the campus as much as I could escape.

Was in CT All-State Band in '66-67' (French Horn) and we met and played in the stands outside the field house. Ate stale bag lunches in the stands. The field house looked leaky already.

Went to Univ Denver (Math) '68-70' where I basically taught skiing full time at Arapahoe Basin.

Came back to complete at UCONN (Psych/Math minor) '72.
Played in the Band at games. No French Horns now as all today's horns face forward to impact!

Did an MBA (PKE) at Pepperdine '80-'82. As a consultant, helped turn Pac Bell in CA from a utility to a profit-making culture along with the original management team at Procter & Gamble, now consulting.

Now in CA, got back into the UCONN women through my Mom, who never misses a game, going way back.

I was never a fan of watching sports on TV. Ever. And never a fan of basketball. I lived in Santa Fe, NM at 8,500' ('76-'85), had 3 boys, and ended up in Carmel, CA in 1985. Didn't have a TV.

What hooked me on our women is what I now brag to all my Left Coast friends: In CT, we grow strong women!

Geno and our women prove that game after game, year after year.

I could not be prouder to be a fan and of the State of CT!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1975 in my heart. 2006 on the nice diploma paper. Long, but not uninteresting story.

South Campus. Buckley Hall-South Tower. People knocked on our 6th floor corner room door to politely ask if they could look out our window across campus . Everybody called it “best view” on campus. What times. Sadly, I wasted too much opportunity at that time. Late bloomer. But all Storrs memories are happy.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm a UCONN alum, but was only in Storrs for two years. I transferred from American University. We were still only a Yankee Conference power during my time.

We went to the 1976 NCAA Sweet 16 with a team that featured Tony Hanson, Joey Whelton, Al Weston, and John Thomas from Bogalusa, LA. I believe John still lives in CT to this day. Jeff Carr and I believe Randy LaVigne were freshmen on that team. Also Jim Abromaitis, I think. Abro later served on the Board of Trustees, I believe. That may have been Dee Rowe's next to last season coaching the team. We attended the Sweet 16 in Greensboro, NC. It was Rutgers, VMI, DePaul and us. We lost to Rutgers something like 92-79. They had Phil Sellers and Eddie Jordan. They went undefeated that season until they lost in the semis of the Final Four. Indiana went totally undefeated and won the title that year...last team to go undefeated on the men's side. We sat right behind the UCONN bench in Greensboro. Rutgers beat VMI to advance to the Final Four. DePaul was still a few years away from making the Final Four during the Mark Aguirre era, but Dave Corzine was on that DePaul team.

UCONN's first women's BB team played in 1975. I think they finished 2-8. Sadly, neither myself or anybody I knew on campus, male or female, had any idea we had an official women's intercollegiate team. Let's just say it was not highly publicized or promoted. If I had known I might have checked out a few of their games. I attended a HS which had a great women's BB team. I had friends on the team and attended a lot of their games.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom