Who on here is a UConn Alum? And who is not? I am. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who on here is a UConn Alum? And who is not? I am.

Reaction Score
St. Lawrence; grad degree from Syracuse. Have always felt welcomed as an ardent UCONN Huskies fan.....::):):)
Cookie, I graduated from St. Lawrence as well, too many years ago! Grad degree from Fairleigh Dickinson in NJ, moved to CT and took some additional grad courses at UConn. Both daughters graduated from UConn, got great educations, and are doing very well for themselves now.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
SMU grad. but Mrs. Z taught at UConn for a few years during the Shea, Sveta, Sue, Swin Diana era. We were very lucky; she was a llaison between the language dept. and athletics, so we usually got left-over student seats in the "parents area". Been hooked ever since.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not an alum, but grew up in Connecticut and started following sports at a young age around the time that Huskymania (both men's and women's) took hold in the early-mid 90's.

Reaction Score
CANR 1980, then worked as a lab tech in Beach Hall before moving to VA in 1989. I, too, thank CPTV for televising all those games, used to have a friend in CT tape them on her VCR and mail them to me.

Reaction Score
SMU grad. but Mrs. Z taught at UConn for a few years during the Shea, Sveta, Sue, Swin Diana era. We were very lucky; she was a llaison between the language dept. and athletics, so we usually got left-over student seats in the "parents area". Been hooked ever since.
Does OTP know that?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I graduated with a BA in math in 1964 and an MBA in 1969. Was in the Navy in between. I have been a fan of Uconn basketball every since I attended my first game at the old field house. I thought that I would never seen a championship (I am also a Red Sox fan) until Geno finally pulled it off in 1995. Since then I have enjoyed many championships. I find that there are few teams that I can completely trust. Teams that are consistently good and always seem to find a way to win. The Uconn women are the best at that. I also trust the New England Patriots and the Ansonia High football teams.
Geez, you’re almost old enough to be my father. Ansonia and not a Giant fan? I know you and I pre-date the AFL or whatever that new League is.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Does OTP know that?

Yup. In fact, he and I were there about the same time (the time of the "death penalty". He was studying business and I was in the grad school of econ.

Reaction Score
Geez, you’re almost old enough to be my father. Ansonia and not a Giant fan? I know you and I pre-date the AFL or whatever that new League is.
Just so you know, the best game I ever attended at the old field house was the Uconn - URI championship game. It was the famous slow-down game that Uconn had no chance to win and yet they did.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just so you know, the best game I ever attended at the old field house was the Uconn - URI championship game. It was the famous slow-down game that Uconn had no chance to win and yet they did.
I listened to that one. The shot clock makes that tactic a thing of the past. That was, if my old memory serves, the Doug Melody show.

Most fun game in my time at school was UConn over Rutgers where it became Wes B. Vs. Bobby Lloyd. Two of the leading scorers in the country lived up to their billing, Wes 40-Lloyd 39.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I started college at Lehigh, got my B.A. from UConn (CLAS '72), Masters at Brown, Ph.D. studies at Penn.

I left Storrs when Geno was still in high school. I watched WCBB starting about 1990. I liked Kate Starbird, Dawn Staley, and Ticha Penicheiro. I thought Tennessee played bully ball from the dark ages. In 1995, as it turns out, my alma mater became the one team that could beat bully ball consistently. Having lived in the Philly area for 15 years, I could understand Geno. I was a total convert by the Final Four of 2000. I've been to Final Fours in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Not a UConn alum. (A.B., Dartmouth 1969, M.B.A., Wharton Grad. 1978).
Lived in Norwalk in the 1980s and 90s, saw the Huskies on CPTV by accident
and have admired them ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Not an alum, but was born and raised a short distance from campus. My friends and I used to sneak into the leaky old fieldhouse to play basketball. My earliest memories of the basketball programs are when my uncle took us to men's games in the field house. Specifically, I remember a 1970 game against UMass and Dr. J. Dee Rowe was our Head Coach and Jim Valvano was an assistant. My classmate's older brother, Tony Budzinski played for UConn.

My son is a UConn grad and I still live in Connecticut.

I started following the UConn women's game probably in the late 80s and really drank the KoolAid during the '91 final four run.

Reaction Score
I'm at 1988 UConn School of Pharmacy grad. ...I've lived in Connecticut my entire life (but hope to go to a warmer spot in the winters when I retire).

Reaction Score
I grew up and spent most of my life in Westport and taught at UConn in Storrs back when a mid-winter walk across campus was a real test.

Reaction Score
UCONN graduating class of 2001.

Not sure if anyone was on campus for the men beating Duke in 2000 it was an amazing night.

The women were amazing that year too. To be honest the buzz was not as great as the men's win.

I played against shea and rigby in the field house. Shea had the mouth guard in and was all business. She was a very good player. I was varsity in HS and she was better than me. All the girls were so nice. Good times.

Reaction Score
I did my jr .year at Uconn but got a b.s.at another college in new england. M.ed. in Cal. I formed my lifetime Uconn fanhood when i spent 10 years there and meandered around campus for part of it.Then i went to Penn St.-No wait i may have that backwards,but anyway a fan of everything Uconn for life.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Didn’t know they had a CompSci degree by 74. Don’t remember any classes in 68-69. Started at UConn in 68, left after draft lottery win in 69, finished degree in 89 at CCSU (Storrs was too far for night and weekend classes) on GI bill.

There wasn't a CS major. It was a concentration in the EE dept. So it's not a official CS degree, but I took more CS courses than Math.

I started in '68 and there were a fair number of courses available. Including one that used an aged (even then) IBM 704 in the School of Business building. There was a room full of assorted DEC PDPs in the new computer center and an IBM 360 that appeared to be dedicated to CS coursework.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
There’s a name from the past, and an answer to a trivia question, “Who led the NCAA in 3-pt shooting the year the 3-pt shot was first introduced?” The pg on that team was Tom Penders from my hometown in Stratford.
The 3-Point line was installed in the 86-87 season. Tom was the point guard from 64-67. Played with him up there. Now if the 3-Point line was in use in 67, Wes would have led the nation. He averaged 28+and nearly everything was long range. Woulda averaged 38

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The 3-Point line was installed in the 86-87 season. Tom was the point guard from 64-67. Played with him up there. Now if the 3-Point line was in use in 67, Wes would have led the nation. He averaged 28+and nearly everything was long range. Woulda averaged 38
I stand corrected and plead faulty old dude memory. But I wasn’t too far off.

The 3-pt shot was experimented with off and on in college and various pro leagues going all the way back to 1945. During the 1967-68 season, the old ABA first introduced the 3-pt shot.

Wes B, a.k.a. The Mad Bomber, was a rookie during that year with the old Oakland Oaks of the ABA. He was 2nd in the league in 3-pt percentage, not first, but set a league record by making 9 3-pt shots in a row.

Penders, who was also a very good baseball player went on to coach college basketball where he had a long and successful career coaching at Tufts, Columbia, Fordham, Rhode Island, Texas, George Washington & Houston.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom