Who(m)* do you hate? | The Boneyard

Who(m)* do you hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some clickbait tempted me:
27 Most Hated Coaches of All Time

Obvious problems with list: only male coaches of the biggest American sports. Again, it's just clickbait.

But it got me thinking during this season of compassion and love of fellow humans: why should I hate these guys? Some of them I don't like. But Greg Popovich? Who hates him? Joe Torre? I'm a Red Sox fanatic and even I like him? Bobby Knight? I sort of understand, but I've never hated him. I've both felt sorry for his demons and have had enormous admiration for his skills. Etc. Etc.

Is it a good thing that Geno's not on this list because then we'd be upset? But aren't we upset that he's not on the list? It's a weird world when we're defined by how many people hate us. Or maybe it's just that "hate" has ceased to mean anything anymore....

*Should be whom to keep the grammar nazis away, but it's colloquially who.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Didn't bother looking at this though I had seen it as clickbait on a couple of sites. Assume the guy with the Patriots is prominently listed near the top. And the answer is probably to change the title to 'Envied' rather than hated, because a lot of what gets called hatred is sports fan envy of another team's successful coaching and management.

And i agree with the Greg and Joe comments, though I sort of understand Knight - his personality/behavior is pretty bad. Another who was famous for tantrums was Billy Martin, but somehow even as a Red Sox fan I always liked him - found his antics funny and he was dealing with pro players rather than college kids.

Reaction Score
I don't hate but i strongly root against all Tennessee sports teams and i must say that i just love me some Holly and what she does to.....er.....um...does WITH all that athletic talent she has to work with.I find her absolutely splendiferous as a coach.Hope Santa delivers a 10 year contract into her stocking.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let me modify the topic a little. Which woman's basketball coaches current or past do you: a) dislike, b) like, c) respect, and why? Lists need not mutually be exclusive.

For me,

Dislike:
Pat Summitt - I have respect for what she achieved but her deliberate attempt to smear the program, players and members of the board bothers me to this day. It's an ugly footnote on a great career, but she made it personal.

Quentin Hillsman - Well it's way down in intensity but he's on the list. On a one to 10 scale if Pat was a 6 (and she definitely was 10 when this was going on) Quentin is a 3. His teams tried being a little chippy with our girls and Geno showed him what it was like to play us without Geno's largess. Then Hillsman wouldn't give Stewie and home game and instead choose to play a game in front of maybe 300 people, silly. Still his girls used pluck and grit to get the NC game last year.

c. Vivian Stringer - Same issue of questionably chippy play. I personally believe one shove to the back of Maya Moore, after the game was decided, may have cost us a championship as Moore struggle with back spasms the rest of the way.​

Like:
a. Sherri Coale - Good coach who has great respect for our program and Geno and is pretty easy on the eyes.

b. Courtney Banghart - Princeton has had some good seasons since she's been there. I've met her on a few occasions and she is warm and friendly.

c. Doug Bruno - likable guy who is respect of our program and is a friend of Geno. He has his kids ready to play and ready to play hard, what's not to like.

d. Holly Warlick - Only because she is the gift that keeps on giving.​

Respect:
a. Summitt: She's #2 WBB coach behind Geno, so she gets respect.

b. Muffet: Her teams are prepared and have been our closest competitors. She could have been on either of the 1st two lists on any given day. But for Geno, she would likely be the gold standard in WCBB. That has to sting for her.

c. Tara VanDerveer: Stanford is where UConn streaks go to die. She is a very good coach who has sustained success.

d. Mulkey: 2 NCAA championships. What more needs to be said?

e. Dawn Staley: The building job she has done at South Carolina is very very impressive.

f. Steve Gomez: Remember him? He was the Lubbock Christian head coach. The way he handled his trip to Storrs and used a 60+ point beat down as motivation to take his team to a national championship is a great story. Here's how it started.

e. Bruno, Jose Fernandez, Banghart all come to mind as well.​

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I have to respect Jim Foster for the success he's had at four institutions.

Hate? Well, I strongly disliked Pat Summitt during her hey-day. I hated the fact that she had so many big, athletic players and won big for that reason, which at the time seemed to be that reason alone. But time, and her tragic illness, has mellowed me.

Reaction Score
The Teflon John.
gettyimages-76532515.jpeg

Reaction Score
Let me modify the topic a little. Which woman's basketball coaches current or past do you: a) dislike, b) like, c) respect, and why? Lists need not mutually be exclusive.

For me,

Dislike:
Pat Summitt - I have respect for what she achieved but her deliberate attempt to smear the program, players and members of the board bothers me to this day. It's an ugly footnote on a great career, but she made it personal.

Quentin Hillsman - Well it's way down in intensity but he's on the list. On a one to 10 scale if Pat was a 6 (and she definitely was 10 when this was going on) Quentin is a 3. His teams tried being a little chippy with our girls and Geno showed him what it was like to play us without Geno's largess. Then Hillsman wouldn't give Stewie and home game and instead choose to play a game in front of maybe 300 people, silly. Still his girls used pluck and grit to get the NC game last year.

c. Vivian Stringer - Same issue of questionably chippy play. I personally believe one shove to the back of Maya Moore, after the game was decided, may have cost us a championship as Moore struggle with back spasms the rest of the way.​

Like:
a. Sherri Coale - Good coach who has great respect for our program and Geno and is pretty easy on the eyes.

b. Courtney Banghart - Princeton has had some good seasons since she's been there. I've met her on a few occasions and she is warm and friendly.

c. Doug Bruno - likable guy who is respect of our program and is a friend of Geno. He has his kids ready to play and ready to play hard, what's not to like.

d. Holly Warlick - Only because she is the gift that keeps on giving.​

Respect:
a. Summitt: She's #2 WBB coach behind Geno, so she gets respect.

b. Muffet: Her teams are prepared and have been our closest competitors. She could have been on either of the 1st two lists on any given day. But for Geno, she would likely be the gold standard in WCBB. That has to sting for her.

c. Tara VanDerveer: Stanford is where UConn streaks go to die. She is a very good coach who has sustained success.

d. Mulkey: 2 NCAA championships. What more needs to be said?

e. Dawn Staley: The building job she has done at South Carolina is very very impressive.

f. Steve Gomez: Remember him? He was the Lubbock Christian head coach. The way he handled his trip to Storrs and used a 60+ point beat down as motivation to take his team to a national championship is a great story. Here's how it started.

e. Bruno, Jose Fernandez, Banghart all come to mind as well.​

Your list of likes and respects reflects my opinions exactly.

I don't dislike Pat Summit--I think her issues started much earlier than we knew--so I choose to believe her negative actions against uconn/Geno/Team were disease related--you have to have one in the family to understand !

C ViVian and Q---they are doing what THEY feel is necessary to promote their team and to get them to win--I respect that--if i didn't --I would not like Geno so much.

I'm not much of a Holly Fan--I don't dislike her or wish her not well for her or her team--I just wish she coach ---but i don't believe success is in her genes'.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Greg Popovich? Who hates him?
*Should be whom to keep the grammar nazis away, but it's colloquially who.

Bags is 100% correct on both counts. "Whom" is grammatically correct but "who" is colloquially acceptable.

Even the most severe grammar nazi wouldn't call Bo Diddley out for his big hit, "Who Do You Love?"

Note the Q&A about Greg Popovich: "Who hates him?" Greg (him) is the object, and "him" includes the letter "m," just as "whom" does.

Get it? The answer to the hypothetical question cannot be "I hate he" (no "m"). Sooo. . .

. . . Try to remember the "him/whom" tip when writing studiously. Head bang
For routine communication, why bother? ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I hate no one in sports. Even the biggest of "villains" are and where entertaining to me. Politics? People who affect our lives in the most discrete of ways? I've a list of past and present.

Reaction Score
I used to hate George Steinbrenner for some of his team decisions and then one day someone explained to me that everything George did was to improve the Yankees. I guess I changed my mind after that. I still didn't agree with some of his decisions but understood why he made most of them. Also, as I age it seems like it is pretty petty to hate someone I don't know because of some sport decision or attitude.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
LOL, it's more like who do I enjoy beating the most?
The answer; Any Coach that won a recruit over UCONN, especially if they still have that said recruit.. :)
Can't really dislike those who we have bettered over the years.. It would be kind of wasted energy..

So Instead I choose the following words:
(motive, motivating force, incentive, stimulus, stimulation, inspiration, inducement, incitement, spur,)

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
My coach at Duke coach P. That is a sad situation with a coach that is not going to
change her methods at all.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Not too fond of using "hate" to describe that feeling of satisfaction I feel when one of my (imagined) adversaries meets demise. But there ARE some teams I really, really, really like to see get beat. In no particular order: Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Iowa State, BYU, North Dakota State, anybody in the SEC, and all the rest of the Big Ten, save Iowa.

Sure, that's a fair number of targets for my fan wrath. But hey, a guy has to keep busy in retirement.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Mike Krzyzewski and John Calipari
That list is not correct by any means in my book except for those two.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Your list of likes and respects reflects my opinions exactly.

I don't dislike Pat Summit--I think her issues started much earlier than we knew--so I choose to believe her negative actions against uconn/Geno/Team were disease related--you have to have one in the family to understand !

C ViVian and Q---they are doing what THEY feel is necessary to promote their team and to get them to win--I respect that--if i didn't --I would not like Geno so much.

I'm not much of a Holly Fan--I don't dislike her or wish her not well for her or her team--I just wish she coach ---but i don't believe success is in her genes'.

I agree with you; the affects of Alzheimer's begin long before diagnosis. I likewise know that from personal experience. I'm a fan of a team that was something like 1-38 against Pat Summitt, but I still had a great deal of affection towards what she accomplished.

Reaction Score
Don't hate any coaches, but there are a couple of football coaches for whom I have no respect. Ara Parseghian for settling for a tie in the first "game of the century" that I can recall, and John Madden, whose style of play, in my opinion, did nothing to discourage cheap shot artists.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hate more teams than individual coaches. But there are a couple. Bill Parcels, Tony Dungy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom