Who is the Uconn GOAT? It's all in the numbers...maybe. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who is the Uconn GOAT? It's all in the numbers...maybe.

Reaction Score
Mays must have been full of himself. NOBODY ran on Clemente!! He had a reputation all around the league. During a game at Dodger Stadium, a Dodger batter hit a line drive over first base and down the line. It had double written all over it.

Clemente cut it off before it got by him In the corner. He gloved it and spun around and fired a laser to second base. The throw was never more than 7 feet off the ground. The runner was out by so much, he didn’t bother to slide.

There were oohs and ahhhs throughout the stadium. Then the crowd gave Roberto an ovation. A few of them stood. A true baseball fan appreciates a superior play no matter who makes it. I remember Vin Scully giving that play all of the justice and respect it deserved. I always listen to the game on a headset radio when attending a game.

For a long time, Clemente was the standard by which all other right fielders were judged. Dave Parker, the cobra, was another pirate outfielder that you didn’t run on. He had a few notches on his glove too. :D

If "nobody" ran on Clemente, how do you explain the 27 assists in one season, and 5 seasons of 19 or more assists? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Respectfully, I disagree .... I think there are ebbs and flows insofar as talented teams nationally and I think that the teams that Diana faced in those two final championships was of a lesser quality .... I know all you could do is beat the team in front of you but as most people concede, year in and year out there are more and more quality teams than there ever have been in women's basketball. The one thing I do know is that UConn lost miserably to Notre Dame in Dee's freshman year when she put on easily one of the worst if not the worst performance in UConn final four history. Maya Moore never was close to having a night like that and the quality of women's basketball had already elevated substantially year by year because of the effect of UConn emerging nationally in the mid to late 90's and drawing more and more young girls into taking up the game
Diana was a freshman and supposed to be supporting Shea and Sveta. Because they went down before the ND game DT was forced into a role she wasn't quite ready for, but she still wanted to carry us.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If "nobody" ran on Clemente, how do you explain the 27 assists in one season, and 5 seasons of 19 or more assists? :rolleyes:

That’s easy........lunacy. 27 tried that season and didn’t make it. I wonder how many had the opportunity to try and stretch that single into a double, but because it was Clemente in right field, they had second thoughts and held at first. There have been some daring base runners that dare you to throw them out.

That’s how Roberto got those 27 notches on his glove that year. The no one refers to the smart players that had seen him before, and had the utmost respect for his arm. There’s a fool in every crowd.

Reaction Score
I understand the arguments for the three players that have attracted the most attention in this discussion, but my GOAT at UCONN is Sue Bird, three time Nancy Lieberman Award winner, like Sabrina. I just watched replays of the 2001 team games, after the regular season loss to Notre Dame. For me it comes down to the Big East tournament final against Notre Dame. Abrasimova already out for the season after the Tennessee game, Shea goes down before halftime. Bird makes the half court shot with 1.9 seconds left. Game tied at 76 with 5 seconds left. Bird dribbles length of the court for winning basket. She played with bad back. Bird lost her freshman year; she could have won in 2001 if Taurasi hadn't had a bad game. Bird doesn't have the numbers, but I think you put her on the court with UCONN, the US national team, or WNBA Seattle, and you win. You put the ball in her hands with the game on the line.

Reaction Score
Diana was a freshman and supposed to be supporting Shea and Sveta. Because they went down before the ND game DT was forced into a role she wasn't quite ready for, but she still wanted to carry us.
I'm not condemning her but there's a tendency for people here to treat her like she's flawless. She couldn't hit the broad side of the barn in that second half and that's the type of performance that Maya never had, from Day 1 of her freshman year .... some people talk about Diana's junior and senior year and act like she had absolutey no support and that's not quite true .... she had a mature team with a good amount of talent though maybe not all-americans and a totally underappreciated Ms. Conway who was superb in her role .... beyond that, in her sophomore year, she had probably the best collection of talent that UConn has ever had on the court with her and as I said, the competition in those final fours weren't nearly as tough as they've gotten in subsequent final fours as the talent level in women's basketball has been improving exponentially ... there are very few easy outs in the later part of the NCAA tournament NOW

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There have been Boneyard discussions on who the Uconn GOAT is over the years although a quick search didn’t pull up a poll on the subject. I’m talking about Uconn career, not including post-college performance. Include that and Taurasi wins hands down, end of discussion.
We (I) actually did do a vote/poll a couple years ago. Final outcome was
Stewart
Taurasi
Moore

Did a positional one at the same time. Final outcome was
1 - Bird/Jefferson (tied)
2 - Taurasi
3 - Moore
4 - Stewart
5 - Charles

Reaction Score
Does anyone really think Stewart isn't the greatest?

As much as I love Taurasi and Maya...Should anyone be mentioned with Stewart as "GOAT".... She was basically perfect...

Just my opinion.

I'll go with Diana. The one national championship she didn't win was her freshman year after two starters went down with season-ending injuries, and she had the worst game of her career- 1 for 15 shooting against Notre Dame.

I've never seen a more amazing basketball player. Ever.

Reaction Score
I'll go with Diana. The one national championship she didn't win was her freshman year after two starters went down with season-ending injuries, and she had the worst game of her career- 1 for 15 shooting against Notre Dame.

I've never seen a more amazing basketball player. Ever.
The Huskies had a massive lead in the 2nd half with those two injuries before Taurasi started shooting (and missing) shot after shot after shot .... She was the main reason the Huskies blew that big lead .... a more amazing basketball player was Maya who never had a bad game, never .... her off games were games that 99% of America would have called a good or great game ..... the most heady player to ever put on a Huskie uniform, always in control

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
While the use of numbers is a reliable way to determine greatness because of its objectivity, this cannot disguise the subjectivity involved. Reliable methids are not always valid.

Deciding what greatest means is subjective; selecting which numbers to use is subjective; weighting those numbers in relation to each other is subjective; qualifying those numbers in relation to their context in different years is subjective.

My subjective definition of greatest would be having the most positive impact on the most successful teams. My subjective selection of numbers would be +/-, compiled for a season, normalized to the +/- of all team members from that same season, adjusted by a subjective multiplier for the success of the team (championship be ing the highest), adjusted by another subjective multiplier for the competition faced during a season (probably something related to SOS), and added together from all four seasons for a total.

Stewart would have an edge with the successful team multiplier because of four championships. Outside of that I would leave it up to JRRRJ or the reincarnation of Phil to figure it out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom