Who is the most overrated ranked team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who is the most overrated ranked team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In Calhoun's first few decades we would blitz these teams with our press. At some point Calhoun seems to have concluded that it hid other deficiencies that would be exploited against better competition. I think this is maybe the greatest thing he did. You rarely see a coach with a "system" abandon that system and have the program get better, especially when the system was so successful. I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of any others. We could of gone on forever crushing bad teams by 50 and getting bad losses in the tournament to teams with solid guard play. For me, I'll take a few close wins against lower competition and enjoy the banners.

I think one of the reasons he did this is that the players he brought in over the years got better and better (from top to bottom). With better, more athletic players, you don't have to press to compete. It is impressive that a man as hard headed as JC made this switch in philosophies, especially given JC's "imposing his will on his team" fits like a glove with the press.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I think one of the reasons he did this is that the players he brought in over the years got better and better (from top to bottom). With better, more athletic players, you don't have to press to compete. It is impressive that a man as hard headed as JC made this switch in philosophies, especially given JC's "imposing his will on his team" fits like a glove with the press.
Totally agree on this. The press is good for three things, 1) trying to make up a lot of ground when you are basically out of a game - the hail mary of basketball, 2) speeding up a game where the other team wants to grind it and that doesn't suit your style and 3) for teams that don't have players as good or athletic as the competition hoping to disrupt what they would normally do.

We might employ a soft press when Boat gets back for the 2nd condition, but we've moved way beyond having to use a press for the 3rd condition. Hopefully we don't need it often for the 1st.

Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with having a basketball conversation early in the season and sharing yours thoughts on what you have seen so far.

I would certainly include Dook in the mix. They seem to overrated and are loaded with overrated players (see the Plumlees (sp)).

We are in the mix for that distinction at this point as well- but as last year proved you just have to get better and gel at the right time to make a good run in March.
People need to stop lumping the Plumlees together - Mason's legit this year.

Duke will be very good, but they're definitely a tier below UNC/Kentucky/UConn/OSU/Cuse in terms of talent. That lack of a true PG is gonna hurt them a lot at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom