XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Has to be Camby.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Has to be Camby.

Objectively and empirically he comes up short to others already listed.

Reaction Score
Has to be Camby.

Calvin Murphy

Murphy attended Niagara University, where he was a three-time All-American. He scored 2,548 points in 77 games (33.1 points per game).[2]

One of his best games was a 68-point outing against Syracuse University at Niagara's Gallagher Center.[4] In 1970, he led Niagara to the NCAA tournament and advanced to the second round, where they lost to Villanova. During his career he was famous for being one of "The Three M's", along with Pete Maravich and Rick Mount, both of whom were NCAA Men's Division I Basketball All-Americans at the same time as Murphy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Calvin Murphy

Murphy attended Niagara University, where he was a three-time All-American. He scored 2,548 points in 77 games (33.1 points per game).[2]

One of his best games was a 68-point outing against Syracuse University at Niagara's Gallagher Center.[4] In 1970, he led Niagara to the NCAA tournament and advanced to the second round, where they lost to Villanova. During his career he was famous for being one of "The Three M's", along with Pete Maravich and Rick Mount, both of whom were NCAA Men's Division I Basketball All-Americans at the same time as Murphy.

You would think you would start a list with players who are in the NBA Hall of Fame and then work your way down. For some the correct and easy answer is never easy. You chose wisely.

Reaction Score
You would think you would start a list with players who are in the NBA Hall of Fame and then work your way down. For some the correct and easy answer is never easy. You chose wisely.
He's before my time but I've never understood why Calvin Murphy is in the basketball Hall of Fame. I get that it's not the NBA Hall of Fame but it's curious he's in the Hall with only one All-Star appearance. He was a truly great high school and college player but there's a college basketball Hall of Fame for that. Is he in the HOF because of ft shooting?

You can certainly make a case for Camby over him, IMO.

Reaction Score
Best player I’ve seen in person in high school was Bobby Moore

This... Insane how good he was when I saw him playing for MCI.

To answer the original question, to my knowledge Calvin Murphy is our only HOF player so I'd think he'd be the guy. Vin Baker was a four-time all star, Drummond's made a couple. Any other guys make all-star teams who played HS in CT?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A couple comments on my earlier post:

I listed the three chronologically. I am unsure as to who belongs at the top of the list (depends in large part on the parameters) but I believe I could make a strong argument for any of the three.

Yes, there have been many tremendous in state HS players and I am not about to disparage any of them. The three I mentioned were (as HS players) at a mythic level. I don't know of any other in state players who achieved this.

With Murphy, all you need to do is read the article that was linked and see Bob Ryan's comment.

Super John led the nation in scoring and in the ABA, when Julius Erving was widely viewed as the best player on the planet, Super John often outplayed him, especially playoff games.

Walter Luckett blew out his knee in college, killing any realistic shot at playing professionally at the highest level but as a HS senior was the best player in the country. I also have been told by quite a few people that a healthy Walter Luckett was better than Murphy or Williamson.

Reaction Score
Rocket Rod Foster....got hurt in a roll over with Ed Pickney in Arizona

Great career at UCLA....88% free throw shooter

At least a mention

Reaction Score
Mike Adams from Harford Public was pretty good. 9 year NBA career 9,621 points.
He was a tough little guy and underrated but we always called him Michael Adams
I caught a little bit of the Washington USC PAC 12 tourney game as it was on Fox right after UConn.
Washington hung with them because of a little guard who reminded me of Adams
Both played at 100mph.
Even though he received the inbounds pass he would beat the USC players down court for an uncontested layup. That was classic Michael Adams.
Only his shirt wasn’t 3 sizes to big.

Reaction Score
A couple comments on my earlier post:

I listed the three chronologically. I am unsure as to who belongs at the top of the list (depends in large part on the parameters) but I believe I could make a strong argument for any of the three.

Yes, there have been many tremendous in state HS players and I am not about to disparage any of them. The three I mentioned were (as HS players) at a mythic level. I don't know of any other in state players who achieved this.

With Murphy, all you need to do is read the article that was linked and see Bob Ryan's comment.

Super John led the nation in scoring and in the ABA, when Julius Erving was widely viewed as the best player on the planet, Super John often outplayed him, especially playoff games.

Walter Luckett blew out his knee in college, killing any realistic shot at playing professionally at the highest level but as a HS senior was the best player in the country. I also have been told by quite a few people that a healthy Walter Luckett was better than Murphy or Williamson.
He was on the kiss of death cover of sports illustrated.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's before my time but I've never understood why Calvin Murphy is in the basketball Hall of Fame. I get that it's not the NBA Hall of Fame but it's curious he's in the Hall with only one All-Star appearance. He was a truly great high school and college player but there's a college basketball Hall of Fame for that. Is he in the HOF because of ft shooting?

You can certainly make a case for Camby over him, IMO.

I don't know other than he was one of the first mighty mites to make it in the NBA.

As you said, it's not the NBA HoF, it's basketball. Sum total of his HS, college and NBA careers. And his college career was lights out. Tough to do much better.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mike Gminski up there
Helped pre K Duke grt to a FF when he was 17-18 . He graduated HS in 3 years and went straight to college.

An often forgotten player when we discussed best or most accomplished.

He played four seasons with the Duke Blue Devils, from 1977 to 1980. He led the team in scoring during his junior and senior years. Gminski was named the ACC Rookie of the Year (tied) in 1977, first team All-ACC three years, 1978, 1979, and 1980, and ACC Player of the Year in 1979. He was also named an AP Second Team All-American in 1979 and 1980, and a UPI First Team All-American in 1979 and Second Team All-American in 1980.[3]

At the time of graduation, he was the Duke career leader in points (2,323), rebounds (1,242), and blocked shots (345). As of early 2020,[4] he is eighth all time in the ACC in points and rebounds. He is sixth in blocked shots all-time in the ACC and second in Duke history. He is also second in Duke career rebounds behind Shelden Williams and fifth in points behind JJ Redick, Johnny Dawkins, Christian Laettner, and Kyle Singler. His jersey number 43 is retired by the Duke men's basketball team. In 2002, Gminski was named to the ACC 50th Anniversary men's basketball team as one of the 50 greatest players in Atlantic Coast Conference history.

Still ranks in the top of several categories at dook, 40+ years after he left. Had a real good run of years in the NBA in the 80's with the Nets before being traded to the Sixers.

Reaction Score
An often forgotten player when we discussed best or most accomplished.

He played four seasons with the Duke Blue Devils, from 1977 to 1980. He led the team in scoring during his junior and senior years. Gminski was named the ACC Rookie of the Year (tied) in 1977, first team All-ACC three years, 1978, 1979, and 1980, and ACC Player of the Year in 1979. He was also named an AP Second Team All-American in 1979 and 1980, and a UPI First Team All-American in 1979 and Second Team All-American in 1980.[3]

At the time of graduation, he was the Duke career leader in points (2,323), rebounds (1,242), and blocked shots (345). As of early 2020,[4] he is eighth all time in the ACC in points and rebounds. He is sixth in blocked shots all-time in the ACC and second in Duke history. He is also second in Duke career rebounds behind Shelden Williams and fifth in points behind JJ Redick, Johnny Dawkins, Christian Laettner, and Kyle Singler. His jersey number 43 is retired by the Duke men's basketball team. In 2002, Gminski was named to the ACC 50th Anniversary men's basketball team as one of the 50 greatest players in Atlantic Coast Conference history.

Still ranks in the top of several categories at dook, 40+ years after he left. Had a real good run of years in the NBA in the 80's with the Nets before being traded to the Sixers.

Chris Dudley played in the NBA from 1987 to 2003......should be mentioned with Giminski from Stamford then Yale

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
No love for Tom Roy?

Reaction Score
Vin Baker
People forget how good he was in the NBA because the end of his career was a joke.
4 time all-star, 4 years at or close to 20 and 10. all-rookie team, 2nd team all-NBA once, 3rd team all-NBA once
Olympic Gold Medal
Depends on what you look at though because he was not a very good high school player
University of Hartford numbers Soph 19.6/10.4 JR 27.6/9.9 SR 28.3/10.7
Has any other D1 player at a college in CT ever put up numbers like that?

Reaction Score
Not the greatest but if you're making a top 10 list Harold Pressley should be in consideration

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Chris Dudley played in the NBA from 1987 to 2003......should be mentioned with Giminski from Stamford then Yale

Dudley was a nice player for Yale and definitely got more out of his time in the NBA than most thought possible. Kudos for him.

Gminski was a HS AA, NCAA AA, ACC POY, 7th overall draft pick................ and had a much better career than Dudley.

Reaction Score
Dudley was a nice player for Yale and definitely got more out of his time in the NBA than most thought possible. Kudos for him.

Gminski was a HS AA, NCAA AA, ACC POY, 7th overall draft pick................ and had a much better career than Dudley.
understood......15 years in the NBA is pretty amazing

Reaction Score
Best player I’ve seen in person in high school was Bobby Moore
I saw him do the craziest move in a CT. high school all-star game. We were joking about him never dunking in the game. A few plays later he throws it off the glass, goes around him defender and dunks it. Dude could take anyone off the dribble, if he ever got the school stuff figured out he would've been running point for UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom