who is the greatest player out of CT? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

who is the greatest player out of CT?

Reaction Score
I saw him do the craziest move in a CT. high school all-star game. We were joking about him never dunking in the game. A few plays later he throws it off the glass, goes around him defender and dunks it. Dude could take anyone off the dribble, if he ever got the school stuff figured out he would've been running point for UConn.
My uncle has Refereed high school basketball for about 30 years now. Says he’s the best he’s ever scene didn’t look like he had bounce but said one game he saw him do one of the nastiest dunks over the center on the opposing team and his jaw dropped

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Calvin Murphy - not even close
Super John was plain nasty but Calvin is on a level all alone
Tyler O has 2 rings

Tom Roy in South Windsor would have been a much better player if he didnt go to Maryland and played at UCLA - kid was more than just a big player

Reaction Score
Calvin Murphy - not even close
Super John was plain nasty but Calvin is on a level all alone
Tyler O has 2 rings

Tom Roy in South Windsor would have been a much better player if he didnt go to Maryland and played at UCLA - kid was more than just a big player
Didn’t Roy hurt his knees at Maryland

Reaction Score
Just think if more than a few of those 25 had decided to go to UC instead of leaving the state. Think of the possibilities. Big men like Gminski, Charles Smith, Tom Roy, John Pinone, Camby, SOUP Campbell, guards like Luckett, Dave Hicks, Calvin Murphy, Mike Adam's, John Bagley, Rocket Rod Foster, etc. Too bad.

Reaction Score
Before my time, but what was the story with Luckett? Best player in the country and he goes to Ohio U?

Reaction Score
In my lifetime it has to be Chris Smith. The one that got away for me was Harold Pressley. Wayne Gomes honorable mention.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Just think if more than a few of those 25 had decided to go to UC instead of leaving the state. Think of the possibilities. Big men like Gminski, Charles Smith, Tom Roy, John Pinone, Camby, SOUP Campbell, guards like Luckett, Dave Hicks, Calvin Murphy, Mike Adam's, John Bagley, Rocket Rod Foster, etc. Too bad.
Gminski & Roy went to ACC schools when the ACC was as good a basketball conference as there was and football clearly took a backseat on campus. Campbell (and not listed, Garris) went to B-10 schools when the B-10 also had a legitimate claim to being the top hoops conference.

The last three names listed are all intertwined in terms of UConn. Foster was (a tossup with Isiah Thomas) the top HS PG in the country his senior year. He was locked up by Larry Brown at UCLA early but Perno kept offering even though he was told no countless times. Bagley was also a HS senior that year (and was set to play for then D-2 Central Ct, until BC ended up with an open scholarship very late in the process) and as a HS teammate of Mike McKay, kept lobbying (along with McKay) for an offer from UConn, Perno said no.

Once Bagley demonstrated his talent, Perno decided to look at smaller PG's and landed Giscombe (really a 2 guard in a small PG's body) and Hobbs (who DP thought would help land Ewing, a HS teammate). The following year, because of the two smaller guards, there was no room for Adams (and once BC offered, we may not have had a shot anyway).

Massimino was all over Pinone early on and with Corny already there and Aleksinas transferring in, Pinone may have gone elsewhere even if Rollie wasn't in the picture.

I don't know the story behind Murphy, Williamson or Luckett (beyond that they each went to less than substantial programs) and fully believe that we should have made some effort to land each of them.

One name that (unless I missed something) I haven't seen yet was Sly Williams. Yes, he did have his issues (not the least being that in HS he verbally committed to two schools while enrolling in a third) but from what I remember (and what many have stated) when he wanted to play (unfortunately for him wasn't often enough) he was as good as anyone.

Reaction Score
Gminski & Roy went to ACC schools when the ACC was as good a basketball conference as there was and football clearly took a backseat on campus. Campbell (and not listed, Garris) went to B-10 schools when the B-10 also had a legitimate claim to being the top hoops conference.

The last three names listed are all intertwined in terms of UConn. Foster was (a tossup with Isiah Thomas) the top HS PG in the country his senior year. He was locked up by Larry Brown at UCLA early but Perno kept offering even though he was told no countless times. Bagley was also a HS senior that year (and was set to play for then D-2 Central Ct, until BC ended up with an open scholarship very late in the process) and as a HS teammate of Mike McKay, kept lobbying (along with McKay) for an offer from UConn, Perno said no.

Once Bagley demonstrated his talent, Perno decided to look at smaller PG's and landed Giscombe (really a 2 guard in a small PG's body) and Hobbs (who DP thought would help land Ewing, a HS teammate). The following year, because of the two smaller guards, there was no room for Adams (and once BC offered, we may not have had a shot anyway).

Massimino was all over Pinone early on and with Corny already there and Aleksinas transferring in, Pinone may have gone elsewhere even if Rollie wasn't in the picture.

I don't know the story behind Murphy, Williamson or Luckett (beyond that they each went to less than substantial programs) and fully believe that we should have made some effort to land each of them.

One name that (unless I missed something) I haven't seen yet was Sly Williams. Yes, he did have his issues (not the least being that in HS he verbally committed to two schools while enrolling in a third) but from what I remember (and what many have stated) when he wanted to play (unfortunately for him wasn't often enough) he was as good as anyone.
It's weird how many CT. high school stars from back in the day went to lesser, almost no name college programs. A lot of these guys were the best high school players in the country.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It's weird how many CT. high school stars from back in the day went to lesser, almost no name college programs. A lot of these guys were the best high school players in the country.
Yeah.

I've always wondered how much more quickly we could have become a national program if we brought in some of these guys. Among other things, if we were the school that Murphy took to the regional finals, followed by Super John entering the program as Calvin was leaving, quite a few of those who did go to higher profile schools shortly after that would have viewed UConn in a far more favorable light.

Reaction Score

A lot of these players played in the Schoolboy Classic at the Bridgeport JCC. I got to work handing out towels and scorekeeping when I was a kid which was awesome. I remember John Garris and Pinone and Bagley and Corny and Mike McKay. Rafael Addison played for the Jersey team and went on to Syracuse.

Reaction Score

Didn’t Campbell go to URI and Garris to BC?? Those schools weren’t in the Big 10 as far as I know

Reaction Score
Didn’t Campbell go to URI and Garris to BC?? Those schools weren’t in the Big 10 as far as I know
I think Garris went to Michigan out of high school and then transferred to BC.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
My error. I was thinking Wes Mathews (father of Marquette's Wes) who went to Wisconsin.

That's another name to be added.

Reaction Score
I'll go with the trio of Calvin Murphy, Super John Williamson and Walter Luckett.
I don’t think there is any question as far as the greatest high school player. Walter Luckett.

Reaction Score
A lot of these players played in the Schoolboy Classic at the Bridgeport JCC. I got to work handing out towels and scorekeeping when I was a kid which was awesome. I remember John Garris and Pinone and Bagley and Corny and Mike McKay. Rafael Addison played for the Jersey team and went on to Syracuse.
I was at the JCC Schoolboy Classic that had Corny and McKay. I will never forget it, the atmosphere was electric. Corny took the game over after the visiting team (NY or NJ, can’t remember) took an early lead. All the big tristate coaches were there, I do remember a thin tall white kid for New Jersey (I think) who was off the charts good. Dean Smith was there IIRC.

Reaction Score
Campbell went to Providence (not B1G either).
I always got him and Sly Williams confused….he was the one that went to URI. But the point is still accurate, not a Big 10 school.

Reaction Score

Never understood why Gminski did not stay at home... Anyone know the story?

Reaction Score
Surprised no one has mentioned Roosevelt Lee. At one point ranked higher than Lebron James and was being recruited by UNC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom