• Gtown

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Butler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xavier

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
In theory it should be Georgetown/Nova (old BE historic teams) or Providence (promixity)

But Georgetown sucks right now. Nova dropped off right as we picked up so we didn’t get both teams elite at the same time. Providence feels forced and not natural at all

Marquette and Creighton would be the next 2 just because they’re the strongest teams, but CT rivals being from Wisconsin and Nebraska doesn’t make sense to me

So I’m going with nobody

Reaction Score
UConn in the New Big East is very forced. We aren’t a natural fit. We have no rivals. We are a big school in a small school league. We are a major public university in a league of private urban commuter schools. The fact that people are calling Marquette and Creighton, schools we have zero history with, our rivals is telling.

Reaction Score
UConn in the New Big East is very forced. We aren’t a natural fit. We have no rivals. We are a big school in a small school league. We are a major public university in a league of private urban commuter schools. The fact that people are calling Marquette and Creighton, schools we have zero history with, our rivals is telling.
Let's face it: realignment in the high-major conferences is killing natural rivals. It's not just a Big East or UConn problem.

What's more important is that we are in a league with a lot of teams whom we get excited to face. DePaul will always stink, so be it, but Georgetown will only get better and this season, every other team we face brings intrigue and excitement.

Who cares if Marquette isn't a "rival"...Saturday afternoon will be one of the most anticipated regular season college basketball games of the season.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Further, it's been absolutely dreadful for the basketball program. We haven't even won a title in 11 months.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Let's face it: realignment in the high-major conferences is killing natural rivals. It's not just a Big East or UConn problem.

What's more important is that we are in a league with a lot of teams whom we get excited to face. DePaul will always stink, so be it, but Georgetown will only get better and this season, every other team we face brings intrigue and excitement.

Who cares if Marquette isn't a "rival"...Saturday afternoon will be one of the most anticipated regular season college basketball games of the season.
As i said, right now our “rivals” change by how good we are vs. the teams in the league that are good when we are. A real rivalry is when there is one team you want to beat every year even if both stink. See Yankees vs Sox.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The fact that people are calling Marquette and Creighton, schools we have zero history with, our rivals is telling.
Until we get a few BE trophies, that's what is... Calhoun used to say "you get three shots at a championship every year". I want them all.

Reaction Score
Most of you don't understand what makes a rivalry.

It is not simply who else is good in our conference.

You can read our board for a week and see posts attacking PC and Cuse' more than any other school. Cuse dedicates a thread to the boneyard on their board.

We relish in both of these team's failures, clear rivals.

Reaction Score

You can read our board for a week and see posts attacking PC and Cuse' more than any other school. Cuse dedicates a thread to the boneyard on their board.

Do you actually have to play the other team to be a rival? We haven't played Cuse in 6 years and unless they win the ACC, we won't play them in the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the alternatives would be even more forced. ACC? Big 12?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

No. Hate without competition is just hate.

Reaction Score
The Yankees and Sox rivalry has been so watered down. There used to be a hatred between fans and players/managers getting into it that I don't think really exists anymore. Cuse is less competitive than PC, even if we were to play them it would be a blow out. Maybe the older UConn fans still consider Cuse a rival but I bet if you went into the student section at Gampel, most students wouldn't have a clue that UConn and Cuse used to have a huge rivalry.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Unfortunately the alternatives would be even more forced. ACC? Big 12?
I feel like the ACC would provide better rivalries than the Big East does.

Old Big East rivals in Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Louisville, etc. (even if they are bad they are pretty much Providence and in some cases like Syracuse with more mutual dislike).

Also can have some potential great new rivalries with Duke and UNC which would be much better than Marquette and Creighton given the profile of the two programs.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I don't think we have ever had traditional a "rival" in the sense that you see it with UNC/Duke, PC/URI, Xavier/Cinci, etc. I don't think we have a rival at all right now. We have rivalries with certain teams that come and go depending on the conference situation, how good each team is, etc.
I agree with you 100%, the closest we had was Syracuse but their "main" rivalry has always been with Georgetown. Pitt too, but their main rival is obviously WVU.

It could have (and should have) been UMass IMO. They are the 2 dominant public institutions in New England and have played 108 times in MBB (plus sort of have a football and hockey rivalry) but have not played in MBB since 2005.

Reaction Score
UConn's rival is UConn

We set a standard and are competing against ourselves

I'm totally serious. I don't see any program that has done more with less.

We're not number 1 in recruiting. That's dook, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, etc.

We're not in national power conference

This program is literally fighting itself to be better than the standard it set.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You're not wrong 'scooter, but I have to admit I enjoy playing against the former big east teams a heck of a lot more than I enjoyed playing against anyone in the American. Plus, it's good to have away games are pretty easy to get to, especially Seton Hall and St. John's.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn's rival is UConn

We set a standard and are competing against ourselves

I'm totally serious. I don't see any program that has done more with less.

We're not number 1 in recruiting. That's dook, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, etc.

We're not in national power conference

This program is literally fighting itself to be better than the standard it set.
I was thinking a similar thought, but I think you expressed it better. I was going to say arrival is history because our goal is to make new history every season.

Reaction Score
I feel like the ACC would provide better rivalries than the Big East does.

Old Big East rivals in Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Louisville, etc. (even if they are bad they are pretty much Providence and in some cases like Syracuse with more mutual dislike).

Also can have some potential great new rivalries with Duke and UNC which would be much better than Marquette and Creighton given the profile of the two programs.

The old BE teams in the ACC aren't anymore rivals than Marquette, Gtown, Nova, PC, in fact most of those teams are worse than the handful in the New BE (except Gtown, who at least has promise)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The old BE teams in the ACC aren't anymore rivals than Marquette, Gtown, Nova, PC, in fact most of those teams are worse than the handful in the New BE (except Gtown, who at least has promise)
I agree, they are pretty much the same because they are all not that good. Kind of sad to see how all of the OBE has fallen off both in the ACC and the NBE.

The potential rivalries with Duke and UNC would be fun though.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Our rival is always, whomever is good at the time. We've cycled through the rise, fall, and demise of every single one of them.

Reaction Score
My vote is no one at the moment. Although I feel some sense of rivalry when the visiting team has some representation in the stands. I feel like PC has the most fans in the stands when visiting us. Anyone have a different experience lately?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The answer is everyone. It's UConn vs. everyone else. We are trying to be alone on the mountain top in the modern era. And to do that we need to kick everyone's tail on the way.
I was torn between two responses. The first, like you, is "everyone" because UConn is rapidly being identified in the mens college basketball world as the team that has had the most success in the modern era. The team that casual fans who root for underdogs identify as the name they most want to see lose. However that does little to satisfy the issue of a rival because as UConn fans we don't identify "everyone" as teams we get delight when they lose.

If there is something that riles up the passion of UConn fans to a similar degree I'd say it's UConn versus the blue bloods. Every time an article is written that does not include UConn as a blue blood we have a thread with many indignant posters feeling slighted. Every time one of the so called blue blood loses a predominant number of our fans feel satisfaction. Concurrently fanbases of those so called blue bloods teams have professed an interest in targeting the UConn coach to replace their unsuccessful one. They are envious of our success. Thus I propose our rivals are Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas.

Either way UConn is analogous to the Roman Empire. Like Rome we took out Syracuse first and then one by one the blue bloods in the Mediterranean came under their control.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom