Who is on the short list? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who is on the short list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
The short list is Billy Donovan, Bill Self, and Alvin Gentry, dark horse Tom Thibodeau.

They would all be great if Ollie leaves, not sure Self would leave KU for UConn though. ;)

Reaction Score
A short time ago, I always felt UConn had a shot at Sean Miller and Billy Donovan. Now we are lucky to get Sean's younger brother or a guy from URI. Wow, what a kick in the nuts.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Do you think using miracles would be an NCAA violation? If so, I don't know if it'd be worth the media circus...
It would not - but UConn president says Jesus cant be in the huddle then we certainly cant use him for miracles either...

Reaction Score
Offer Miller, Marshall and Hurley and if they don't take the job hire JC as a stopgap until he can find the next perfect replacement for us. This is really bad timing of the year to have to look for a new coach.

Reaction Score
A short time ago, I always felt UConn had a shot at Sean Miller and Billy Donovan. Now we are lucky to get Sean's younger brother or a guy from URI. Wow, what a kick in the nuts.

They're really good, young coaches. Look at what Hurley did at Wagner, and then what he did at URI. The guy knows how to win.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Honestly, we never had a shot at those guys.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Whoever/whenever we hire another coach, I hope it's someone that is likely to stay a college coach for his entire career rather than bolt for the NBA. Can't have a revolving door at the helm.

I also would expect Archie Miller to go to whatever team loses their HC to OKC. People who are scoffing at Miller because he is the Dayton coach are inept. The guy brings his team way above their talent level every year. He isn't a better coach than Ollie, but he sure as hell out coached KO this year. He's no joke. Hurley really doesnt deserve to be equated with Miller.

Reaction Score
Whoever/whenever we hire another coach, I hope it's someone that is likely to stay a college coach for his entire career rather than bolt for the NBA. Can't have a revolving door at the helm.

I also would expect Archie Miller to go to whatever team loses their HC to OKC. People who are scoffing at Miller because he is the Dayton coach are inept. The guy brings his team way above their talent level every year. He isn't a better coach than Ollie, but he sure as hell out coached KO this year. He's no joke. Hurley really doesnt deserve to be equated with Miller.

Hurley took over a URI team with single-digit wins for two straight years, and in his third year they were a 23-win team. He's a very good coach. He's a northeast guy, too.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Hurley took over a URI team with single-digit wins for two straight years, and in his third year they were a 23-win team. He's a very good coach. He's a northeast guy, too.
I wasn't disrespecting Hurley, I'm just saying I think it's obvious that Miller is the safer play for a school looking to win a championship at this juncture.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Hey, if Boneyard by-laws stipulate that we shouldn't speculate about potential transferring players, the same rule should apply to coaches. Ollie stated that he is not pursuing other opportunities and if he does, he is no better than Bobby Petrino or Nick Saban (as Jeff Jacobs points out). I for one have no info other than what I see of the man, but I also don't think he is on the level of those coaches. I see the chances of reneging against yesterday's statement to be somewhere between zero and none.

Ergo, there is no short list until the job opens up. Period.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Ergo, there is no short list until the job opens up. Period.

That's nice...if you aren't living in reality.

I am sure, or at least I would hope, Warde has a short list RIGHT NOW, just in case.

Coaches and players are totally different in my eyes - I respect your positions that we shouldn't speculate about coaches leaving, don't agree. They are grown men.

Reaction Score

Hurley's the URI coach today. But a year from now he's probably at Seton Hall and 5 years from now he's probably somewhere in the P5.

Reaction Score
First name I thought of too.

Why not consider something like St John's did, maybe Ray, Rip or even Donyell, who has many years as an assistant. As long as they can build strong staffs they can be successful.

Archie Miller is a no brainer. 12 years younger than Sean Miller, who has had a good amount of success and is a great recruiter. Archie has a bright future.

Don't think this will be an issue this year though.

Bonehead

Reaction Score

Why not consider something like St John's did, maybe Ray, Rip or even Donyell, who has many years as an assistant. As long as they can build strong staffs they can be successful.
Do you believe KO has a strong staff?

Reaction Score
Hurley's the URI coach today. But a year from now he's probably at Seton Hall and 5 years from now he's probably somewhere in the P5.
Probably. But hate to rain on your parade, its far from a guarantee we land him(his father and family hates calhoun and the program) or Archie Miller.

Reaction Score

Can we put some sort of macro in that automatically deletes any post that suggests Ray Allen or Richard Hamilton as UConn's head coach?

Reaction Score
Why not? This would be akin to what St John's did with Mullin. It would be a nonstandard move, but what's to lose. Not going to attract an elite coach to coach in the AAC, regardless of your past success. Be realistic.

Can we put some sort of macro in that automatically deletes any post that suggests Ray Allen or Richard Hamilton as UConn's head coach?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Why not? This would be akin to what St John's did with Mullin. It would be a nonstandard move, but what's to lose. Not going to attract an elite coach to coach in the AAC, regardless of your past success. Be realistic.
You seriously don't see a differences between St. Johns and UConn or Chris Mullin and Ray Allen/Rip Hamilton?

Reaction Score

What St. John's did with Mullins was to get a big-name figurehead and then surround him with elite recruiters. We have 0 idea what's going to happen when St. John's starts playing actual basketball games.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Mullin at least had front office experience. That's better than nothing.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
What's Steve Pikiell's buyout?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If JC comes back to coach again, Emmert finds way to get us banned again....

Reaction Score
I'm saying get Ray for example and let him build an elite staff. It's a flyer for sure, but why not. If you're stuck in the AAC you have to try new and different approaches.

You seriously don't see a differences between St. Johns and UConn or Chris Mullin and Ray Allen/Rip Hamilton?

Reaction Score
I'm saying get Ray for example and let him build an elite staff. It's a flyer for sure, but why not. If you're stuck in the AAC you have to try new and different approaches.

It's not new and different. Schools have tried it, and it generally fails. Why would we do that rather than just hiring a good coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom