Who is more popular UConn's Men's Basketball or UConn Woman's Basketball? | The Boneyard

Who is more popular UConn's Men's Basketball or UConn Woman's Basketball?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If both are doing well it is the men's team, but women's team consistency lift it higher during the men's down years.

1600975680073.png

Google trends, based upon internet searches.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
It depends on what you define as popular. By some standards total (away included) attendance, TV, revenue, when the men are doing well, it's not close the other way.
If your standard is on the knowledge, refinement and sophistication of the fan base then @Sonny44 has it right, it's not even close.
But then I might be biased just a bit.

CL82

Reaction Score
It depends on what you define as popular. By some standards total (away included) attendance, TV, revenue, when the men are doing well, it's not close the other way.
If your standard is on the knowledge, refinement and sophistication of the fan base then @Sonny44 has it right, it's not even close.
But then I might be biased just a bit.
The metric used in the graph is internet searches. Really interest how the interest has been so high notwithstanding the pause in the championships

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If you're comparing Women's BB Fans, the UConn Women probably have a significantly more fans as a percentage then the Men's Team would have for Fans that that are Men's BB Fans. The UConn Women have fans in all parts of the country, not sure the Men's Team has the same.

Reaction Score
If both are doing well it is the men's team, but women's team consistency lift it higher during the men's down years.

View attachment 58993
Google trends, based upon internet searches.
Interesting graph... clearly since 2015, it shows the Women have gotten more interest. This could well be due to the success of the UCONN Women BB Team (11 NCs, 12 straight Final 4s, ESPN documentary, etc)... but it could also be due to the way the Men's game (college and NBA) has changed. I lost interest in mens BB when it turned into dunk contests or bombs away from 3pt land with little in between. It became rare to see TEAM basketball where the 5 players worked together to find the best shot for the team. Players seemed to want to show what they could do as individuals...perhaps to get on Sports Center top plays, etc. Womens BB is played the way one might think it was intended by Naismith himself... a Team game with ball movement, cutting, screens, finding the open player, etc...to find the best shot for the team to score...and on defense, to play Team defense to stop the opponent. I pretty much stopped watching basketball, mens or womens, until I found the UCONN Huskies Womens Basketball...courtesy of my Sister-in-law and her husband, Niantic, CT residents and LONG time UCONN BB fans. Now...my wife would say I'm addicted. She's not far off... and it's because of the way they play the game, the way they are Coached to play, the way they give up a shot for a team mate to take a better shot. It's just FUN to watch!

Reaction Score
Interesting graph... clearly since 2015, it shows the Women have gotten more interest. This could well be due to the success of the UCONN Women BB Team (11 NCs, 12 straight Final 4s, ESPN documentary, etc)... but it could also be due to the way the Men's game (college and NBA) has changed. I lost interest in mens BB when it turned into dunk contests or bombs away from 3pt land with little in between. It became rare to see TEAM basketball where the 5 players worked together to find the best shot for the team. Players seemed to want to show what they could do as individuals...perhaps to get on Sports Center top plays, etc. Womens BB is played the way one might think it was intended by Naismith himself... a Team game with ball movement, cutting, screens, finding the open player, etc...to find the best shot for the team to score...and on defense, to play Team defense to stop the opponent. I pretty much stopped watching basketball, mens or womens, until I found the UCONN Huskies Womens Basketball...courtesy of my Sister-in-law and her husband, Niantic, CT residents and LONG time UCONN BB fans. Now...my wife would say I'm addicted. She's not far off... and it's because of the way they play the game, the way they are Coached to play, the way they give up a shot for a team mate to take a better shot. It's just FUN to watch!
Great observation, PaHuskey. I was a huge fans of men's basketball, both college and pro, up until the dunk era. You can only watch a dunk, no matter how spectacular, so many times before your eyes glaze over and you wish to see a great pass or assist. I also believe that one of the reasons you don't see dominant teams anymore is because of the rapid turnover from the better players leaving for the pros. This is one of the primary reasons for the rise on so many mid-level teams. They keep their players together for the entire four years.

CL82

Reaction Score
You can only watch a dunk, no matter how spectacular, so many times before your eyes glaze over and you wish to see a great pass or assist.
Uh, no.

Reaction Score
For me it is the women. As for some of the other comments I'd like to mention a WNBA Dallas game I watched where Arika was doing her thing and the announcer said something like Watch her girls because if you want to be successful in college and the WNBA you need to be able to create you own shot and score like her. I almost decided at that moment I was done then with even the women's game!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wore my UConn polo shirt on our trip to Australia and the only comment I received was from a Qantas flight attendant who was a big fan of the women's team.

I don't think the men's team has as many fans but there is awareness. I remember in 2013 we were visiting Napa wine tasting and the younger couple next to us was lamenting the state of their FB team (Cal). I said that they were better than us and felt the need to add, "But out BB team will be good this year." The woman said, "But you always are."

Reaction Score
I have traveled to 34 countries and there were UConn women's basketball fans everywhere. Men's team, not so much.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I would say that the team that shows the most concentration on BASKETBALL will be the most popular.......Yes, BASKETBALL, not politics or current events, but BASKETBALL!

Reaction Score
Well, when Calhoun was coaching, the men's team had an amazing streak with both titles & future NBA stars. Men's team was nationally recognized as a "Blue Blood". Last 5 years or so, nothing but misery. So, its not a good time to do the poll. But, looks like the men's team might be turning the corner & it might be a good debate once again!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would say that the team that shows the most concentration on BASKETBALL will be the most popular.......Yes, BASKETBALL, not politics or current events, but BASKETBALL!
Nah, that has nothing to do with it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have traveled to 34 countries and there were UConn women's basketball fans everywhere. Men's team, not so much.
Yep. I also travel often and when I wear a generic UConn shirt, I get a lot of “They have a really good women’s basketball team” comments.

Having said that,the teams’ fans have different demographics with some overlap. It’s comparing apples and oranges to ask which ream is more popular. I understand the OP references Internet searches but the thread seems to be going in a different direction

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom