Who is Memphis looking at? | The Boneyard

Who is Memphis looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i know their fans r doing cartwheels! I heard Gregg Marshall but I'd think that is a long shot (certainly possible though).

Who else is under consideration?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Memphis fans of Reddit we're excited by that Scout.com moron's ranking of the best AAC jobs putting them above us, so they seem to be expecting a big hire.

I can't wait for them to be disappointed by the nobody that will take over for Pastner.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Really need Memphis to be relevant for future UConn seeding in tournaments. But if UConn gets into another conference than it doesn't matter.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
You guys want to hear something funny? Memphis fans online think there's a legit shot that Gregg Marshall will be their next head coach. All I can say is LOL!

Reaction Score
If Marshall goes to Memphis it's as misguided of a decision as Hamilton hiring an agent. They both have every right to do it, but it doesn't make it a good decision.

presskh

Memphis Fan
Reaction Score
Plus Buzz Williams and even Tubby Smith. If we can't land Marshall, I'm ok with Williams. I like Tubby but he's just getting too old, IMO.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
If Buzz Williams is actually on the table and he's willing to sign then that would actually be a great hire for Memphis. I feel like he would fit well with that program recruiting wise as well as personality.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
ACC to AAC :rolleyes:
It's kind of depressing how many non-fans online thought Pastner got lucky and upgraded his job for the sole reason of "P5". It's like a chorus of parrots just repeating these buzzwords they hear on ESPN, despite the fact a non-P5 has won 2 of the 3 last titles in basketball.

Everyone seems just so thrilled with the P5 label because it creates a dichotomy between the "in crowd" and the rest, and everyone wants to elevate their own situation by putting down another, it's human nature. /rant

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if Marshall left Wichita State for Memphis. He is in a great spot there. A decent conference that if he keeps recruiting well he should be able to win most years and make the tournament like Few and Gonzaga. Memphis could be a be careful what you wish for situation with him.

Reaction Score
It's kind of depressing how many non-fans online thought Pastner got lucky and upgraded his job for the sole reason of "P5". It's like a chorus of parrots just repeating these buzzwords they hear on ESPN, despite the fact a non-P5 has won 2 of the 3 last titles in basketball.

Everyone seems just so thrilled with the P5 label because it creates a dichotomy between the "in crowd" and the rest, and everyone wants to elevate their own situation by putting down another, it's human nature. /rant

Fair point, but I think the real reason Pastner left was that he saw the writing on the wall, a la Frank Heath. If Pastner was going far in the tournament (or even making the tournament) with Memphis I doubt he leaves. I don't think this really had anything to do with P5 v. G5 or AAC v. ACC or any other abbreviations.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Fair point, but I think the real reason Pastner left was that he saw the writing on the wall, a la Frank Heath. If Pastner was going far in the tournament (or even making the tournament) with Memphis I doubt he leaves. I don't think this really had anything to do with P5 v. G5 or AAC v. ACC or any other abbreviations.
It definitely didn't, and that's not really the point I was trying to make. Pastner left because someone offered him a decent job when he was months from being fired anyway, anyone with a brain takes that lifeline. I'm just commenting how fans of other programs think Pastner got lucky and "fell upwards" simply because he went into the P5 while disregarding the fact that Memphis is easily a better job than GT.

Reaction Score
It definitely didn't, and that's not really the point I was trying to make. Pastner left because someone offered him a decent job when he was months from being fired anyway, anyone with a brain takes that lifeline. I'm just commenting how fans of other programs think Pastner got lucky and "fell upwards" simply because he went into the P5 while disregarding the fact that Memphis is easily a better job than GT.

Yeah. And I do think it's possible that a conference - like the ACC or old Big East - becomes so good that it begins to dilute the value of jobs in the lower half of the league. What's the saying, a cup can only be full? Between Duke, Miami, Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia, and Notre Dame, there's only so much pie left at the table. You're just as well off - exposure wise - playing at a top tier AAC school where you're on TV every night and you're not getting drubbed by a top ten opponent every night.

Look at how programs like Pitt, Villanova, and Providence have split in opposite directions since the conference overhauls. And programs that were mediocre, like Virginia Tech, even before the infusion of ammunition, have been buried even further under the sand. In a conference of 15 teams, many of which are heavyweights, somebody has to be a punching bag. In the AAC, unless you completely screw it up, like Pastner did, you're going to be a big dog on the block at a school like Memphis.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

The mindless masses. I have half a mind to join them. It sucks to be aware of stupidity. I just have to figure out how to get rid of the first half of my mind. Then I'll tackle the second half. Then I can walk around fat, drunk and stupid the remainder of my life.

for the pc bunch -not friars you idiots- the reference is to Animal House and not a statement about peoples conditions. Except for the idiot part because I know there are idiots amongst those reading this.

caw

Reaction Score

In a vacuum Memphis is a much better job but Pastner created such a mess that as a program right now, Georgia Tech might actually be a better gig. God knows it is for Pastner. He lowered Memphis' rep so much he managed to fail up to Georgia Tech. More a testament about Pastner than Memphis or GTech.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
In a vacuum Memphis is a much better job but Pastner created such a mess that as a program right now, Georgia Tech might actually be a better gig. God knows it is for Pastner. He lowered Memphis' rep so much he managed to fail up to Georgia Tech. More a testament about Pastner than Memphis or GTech.
I'm not so sure, Memphis never seemed to have a problem attracting talent even under Pastner's worst seasons, it was more of an issue with the management of that talent. I don't think that type of rep would carry over to a new coach necessarily.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure, Memphis never seemed to have a problem attracting talent even under Pastner's worst seasons, it was more of an issue with the management of that talent. I don't think that type of rep would carry over to a new coach necessarily.

I agree, again in a vacuum Memphis is better and should be salvageable for the next coach. But for Pastner, if he had remained, I don't think he could have turned that boat around, and it may have ended up at BCs level

Reaction Score
Memphis needs a local guy with local ties to be successful. Penny Hardaway????

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if Marshall left Wichita State for Memphis. He is in a great spot there. A decent conference that if he keeps recruiting well he should be able to win most years and make the tournament like Few and Gonzaga. Memphis could be a be careful what you wish for situation with him.

Marshall would be a target for any major P5 job that came open. Memphis is really a lateral move, there's no way he'd take that. I've go no idea who Memphis will get, but it may be a bit of a struggle.

Reaction Score
Gtech isn't a bad job and I think its a better place than Memphis.

ATL>>>>Memphis
ACC>>>>AAC

Memphis probably has better facilities and a better fan base but Gtech has better recruiting pipelines and its a less stressful job than Memphis

No way Marshall leaves for Memphis. Didn't he turn down p5 jobs previously? Only way he leaves WSU is for a high major program in a power conference. And for those saying 2 of hte last 3 champs have come from outside the p5 well you guys realize that those teams came from the OLD BE and are known commodities. Its not like they are VCU or WSU or Butler.

Reaction Score
Gtech isn't a bad job and I think its a better place than Memphis.

ATL>>>>Memphis
ACC>>>>AAC

Memphis probably has better facilities and a better fan base but Gtech has better recruiting pipelines and its a less stressful job than Memphis

Not sure about that. There's talent in Atlanta, but the other ACC, and SEC schools are in play there. Memphis is a much bigger dog in their local area than GT is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom