Who is High Point University? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who is High Point University?

Reaction Score
At one time years ago I believe High Point had one of the few Bentley dealerships in the USA. More recently some consider it to be the heroin capital of the south.

Reaction Score
High fives to High Point U. for making their very first NCAA WBB Tournament appearance! It's a pretty high certainty that the final score of the game will not be the high point of High Point's season. But it should still be a really high thrill just to be there among the most highly regarded programs in the sport. Let's hope that every High Pointer who plays gets to score at least once so they can leave on a real high.

Reaction Score
I've been to Charlotte. Spent an exciting two days and one night in a warehouse in the freight area of the airport on a hurricane US&R deployment...

Reaction Score
1615925787731.png

That is an actual four story high dresser in High Point, NC. Still the furniture capitol of the world btw. There are tables there and you can have lunch under it while you contemplate the $20,000 dining room table you just bought inside the joint. The chairs are an additional $1,500 each (you'll need 20) and the two for the end $2,500 each. They have some richy rich stuff in there.

Reaction Score
Fellow Charlottean here...

Not having heard of High Point is different than not knowing there was a D1 university there...

There are 18 NCAA D1 schools in NC, and I think you’d be hard pressed to find a fan of any sport that can name them all, and quite a few probably wouldn’t have heard of HPU, NC A&T, NC Central, or Garnder-Webb. No shame, @Urshurak
Yes, I did misread @Urshurak's post and apologize for that. If either of you crave a spot to enjoy D1 sports, my alma mater UNCC is right around the corner. They even have football now! Their sports claim to fame is making the final four in the 70s. The only final four I've attended and saw Marquette dispatch UNCC and then Carolina in the finals.

Reaction Score
A look inside of HPU's new basketball and conference center which opens up in the fall. I've driven by it a few times while in High Point.... Its very impressive from the outside. I've posted this video on the other board in a new arena thread. from 0 to the 2:48 mark highlights the arena section.

Well you know I know all 18 :p But I'm not a average fan.

NC A&T is a big brand among HBCU's.... but then again... alot of people don't even know what a HBCU is. :confused:

Geez - luxury suites for the students!

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Well she played at FGCU and was an assistant coach there for a decade. I expect her to be here for two more years max.. before she is snatched up by a bigger program. The past two HPU coaches have parlayed success into better jobs (Wake Forest, Miami of Ohio), so I'm just gonna enjoy it until that day comes. She is pretty young... and is a very intense coach on the sidelines. I sat behind the bench at a game last season...... probably five feet away from the coach...and was like :eek::eek::eek: .,,, this young lady has some fire.

I've labeled them FGCU North.... they play the same style.... five out offense... shoot a TON of threes.... combined with a lot of drives to the hoop. They essentially are a team full of guards... with every player having the green light beyond the 3 point line. Very little post up game.... Wyatt and Curran are about the only two who will attempt to get position down low. Probably the smallest team in the tournament.. the two tallest players are out for the year due to injury. They go 9 deep.... Curran was the conference player of the year.... Jensen Edwards is the straw the stirs the drink.

Looking at the NCAA statistics... HPU is #2 in the country in 3pt'ers attempted.... more than 130 more than Arkansas... #2 in 3pters made... #16 in 3pt percentage. Skylar Curran is #4 in the country in 3pters attempted... and #2 in 3pters made after Catilyn Clark of Iowa. She shoots it at a 42.5% clip.

Nice, but what about good places to eat?

Reaction Score
Based on HP's 3-point philosophy, UConn might score 100 by halftime. Should be a fun game...

Reaction Score
Interesting article on the reality of High Point University...

"A new type of college attempts to redefine what constitutes an “elite” education. Students live in the lap of luxury while learning how to accumulate it....And then there is High Point University."

- Has tripled in undergrad population over the past 16 years - to 4500."

- Trademarked tagline: "Premier Life Skills University"

- Entry level room & board is $15,438. "Tier 5" plan is an additional $12,256 (upgraded single room with your own bathroom).

- Competing as a luxury brand, in an "amenities arms race" with other elite schools: “If you want something to be popular with rich white people, tell rich white people they can’t have it.”
we took a visit to High Point last Spring when my daughter was considering it..........I'd call it the Disney World of colleges...........everything is picture perfect.........different levels of dorms depending on how much extra you are willing to pay.........the regular no extra cost dorms are nicer than many apartments I've seen...........the level three units look like luxury apartments, a TV broadcasting major who led our tour said their TV station had far better equipment than the big city NBC affiliate she interned for over the summer........it's some operation........no she didn't end up there........it was just too perfect for her liking........

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
we took a visit to High Point last Spring when my daughter was considering it..........I'd call it the Disney World of colleges...........everything is picture perfect.........different levels of dorms depending on how much extra you are willing to pay.........the regular no extra cost dorms are nicer than many apartments I've seen...........the level three units look like luxury apartments, a TV broadcasting major who led our tour said their TV station had far better equipment than the big city NBC affiliate she interned for over the summer........it's some operation........no she didn't end up there........it was just too perfect for her liking........
My son considered High Point when he was looking at colleges. On our tour, there was an emphasis on the fountains (designed by the person that designed the fountains at the Bellagio in Las Vegas) and the steakhouse that’s included in the meal plan. When they pulled out the menu to show us the dessert selections, my son asked if we could leave. He ended up down the road at Elon. And loved it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nice, but what about good places to eat?

I'll repost a story I posted in a sandwich thread

I guess you were asking what the best sandwich I ever had? Well there is a place on the east side of High Point (NC) called Five Points Subs... located at...... Five Points. Its a city staple....... it was owned and operated by a couple of Greek Immigrants. It was one of those places that if you drove by it... you might just overlook it because its small and so modest looking. Anyway....back when I was a young lad.... once I obtained my driver's license.... After school.... I went there at least 2-3 times a week... didnt even go home first.. just head straight from the parking lot to pick up a sub. Sometimes I would switch it up... but 99% of the time I would get a large cheeseburger sub. A rarity in those days.... they would steam the buns... and instead of regular onions... they would have these diced cubed onions, and they added some kind of greek spices to it. My regular order was a cheeseburger sub, fries, a Coke, and a fried apple pie.

If you go to this restaurant today...... if you look at the exterior rear corner.... you can see where a over eager young duke fan... back in 1989.... with visions of a cheeseburger on a sub roll in his head... rammed into the side of the building... leaving a dent in the wooden exterior. Apparently it jolted the building... cause soon after, one of the owners came out..... looked at it... shook his head in disgust.. and went back into the building. I followed soon after... and with a sheepish look on my face.. ordered my usual cheeseburger sub... fries, coke, and a fried apple pie :oops:

five-points-subs_0.jpg

Reaction Score
Yes, I did misread @Urshurak's post and apologize for that. If either of you crave a spot to enjoy D1 sports, my alma mater UNCC is right around the corner. They even have football now! Their sports claim to fame is making the final four in the 70s. The only final four I've attended and saw Marquette dispatch UNCC and then Carolina in the finals.
@and one, I was just at UNCC yesterday! I'm a Service Engineer with Carrier and we have a few projects going on over there.

Reaction Score
My son considered High Point when he was looking at colleges. On our tour, there was an emphasis on the fountains (designed by the person that designed the fountains at the Bellagio in Las Vegas) and the steakhouse that’s included in the meal plan. When they pulled out the menu to show us the dessert selections, my son asked if we could leave. He ended up down the road at Elon. And loved it.
they say Elon is where kids that don't get into Duke or UNC go. High Point is for kids that can't get into Elon...........;)

Reaction Score
@and one, I was just at UNCC yesterday! I'm a Service Engineer with Carrier and we have a few projects going on over there.
The campus as it is now is unrecognizable from what it was when I was there as a student from 72 to 74. The school had maybe 8,000 enrollment, many like myself living off campus. The area around the school, now fully developed, was basically cow pasture. I worked one summer painting out mechanical rooms (color coding piping and dodging steam leaks) and another working with the campus electricians. My first job on graduating was with the electrical department, which lasted for about 6 months. A couple of years later I ended up working for the campus safety office, assuring OSHA compliance, while waiting to start law school at NC Central. By that time I probably knew the campus better than most, having been a student, done maintenance and building inspection. Fast forward to 2010 or so and I had reason to hold some functions at the campus. I literally could not find my way around.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A look inside of HPU's new basketball and conference center which opens up in the fall. I've driven by it a few times while in High Point.... Its very impressive from the outside. I've posted this video on the other board in a new arena thread. from 0 to the 2:48 mark highlights the arena section.

Well you know I know all 18 :p But I'm not a average fan.

NC A&T is a big brand among HBCU's.... but then again... alot of people don't even know what a HBCU is. :confused:

It's OK but where do they set up the Kegs for barbecue nights?

Reaction Score
High Point costs more than Duke or Elon.
High Point
2020-21 Tuition: $38,080
Tuition + Room & Board (avg): $57,268

Duke
2020-21 Tuition: $58,085
Tuition + Room & Board (avg): $76,270

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads