Who is Geno’s top-five mystery recruit? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who is Geno’s top-five mystery recruit?

Who is Geno’s top-five mystery player commitment?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
my guess, the statement was made before Cheli made a public statement.
So, Cheli & Ziebell.

Reaction Score
my guess, the statement was made before Cheli made a public statement.
So, Cheli & Ziebell.
No offense, I’m sure they are terrific players and I’m more than thrilled they are coming here, but the way he said it was like wait til you see who we have coming here, we ain’t going anywhere. Those two players don’t make me feel like whoa, we ain’t going anywhere. I think it’s those players plus someone else who is a big deal.

Reaction Score
... and yet comparisons are still possible. Toby is not the talent Stewie was for a few reasons. But she is reminiscent of her in some respects: the long arms, the leaping ability, the shot blocking, and she is very competitive. Another player who reminds me of Stewie is Jana -- also long arms, runs the court well with good handles and a decent perimeter and midrange game. But being reminded of Stewie isn't the same as saying she's just as good. She just shares some qualities. I'm sure lots of SC fans thought Amihere would turn out to be a bit like Stewie, because she too is reminiscent of her, minus the overwhelming competitive drive. She is similarly tall and lanky with good handles and excellent floor speed. But that competitive drive is rare. Maya had it. Diana had it. Sue had it. Jen Rizotti had it. Rebecca had it. I think Paige has it. Nika, too. We'll see if any of the current freshmen has it.
Long, lengthy, shot blocking IQ, can dunk at 6-2, she's still growing as well so could be 6-3/4. Not comparing her to Stewie, she just reminds me of her with that skillset. This post sums up what I couldn't

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The two Geno top five recruits may have already verballed to UCONN. I know the rankings may not have them as top five, but in Geno's mind they are top five. I hope this is not the case since I would love it if Sarah Strong was the mystery recruit.

Geno called them commits so they definitely gave verbals, but I don't think Geno was talking about some ranking he put together. Ziebell was top-5 at ESPN when he made his initial comments in January so she's likely one of them. Cheli hasn't been ranked in the top-five at any outlets yet and she didn't commit until early February. Put it all together and it appears there is another highly rated silent commit, assuming she hasn't changed her mind.

Reaction Score
as much as I would love another top player in the program, Geno's comments are still open to question as far as I'm concerned......Strong or Koval would be my two top picks if it turns out to be true...
I tend to think this idea is a "wish list" kind of thing. Geno doesn't play games like that, although I did see his remark. I think we are making far too much of it, because we want it to be true. We always eat all the best players. But that doesn't guarantee anything.

Reaction Score
I tend to think this idea is a "wish list" kind of thing. Geno doesn't play games like that, although I did see his remark. I think we are making far too much of it, because we want it to be true. We always eat all the best players. But that doesn't guarantee anything.
I'd say he was more specific and positive than usual when talking about recruiting but the particular players he was talking about still seem open to conjecture...

Reaction Score
I've seen most of the available video from her high school days...........Stewie was certainly not the finished player she would become in college yet she was already pretty much unstoppable..........I haven't seen that level of dominance from Fournier nor would I expect it as she doesn't have Stewie's size advantage...........also note that I said Stewie improved her midrange and outside shooting while at UConn......don't get me wrong, I'd love to see how the UConn coaches could develop Fournier but she doesn't need to be the next Stewie, just the best version of herself....

+1

She looked dominant enough in that all star game. Quickness, and her ability to elevate at 6'2 will make college a fairly easy adjustment. Shorter players who can make 8' turnaround jumpers in HS often get that shot blocked in college. Hailey Van Lith is one example.

Reaction Score
+1

She looked dominant enough in that all star game. Quickness, and her ability to elevate at 6'2 will make college a fairly easy adjustment. Shorter players who can make 8' turnaround jumpers in HS often get that shot blocked in college. Hailey Van Lith is one example.
you know how easy it is to look great in a game where nobody defends...........UConn already has a 6'2" dunker who quickly learned life in big-time college ball is tough.............I'll be waiting to see how well she develops in college..........hopefully at UConn.......

Reaction Score
No offense, I’m sure they are terrific players and I’m more than thrilled they are coming here, but the way he said it was like wait til you see who we have coming here, we ain’t going anywhere. Those two players don’t make me feel like whoa, we ain’t going anywhere. I think it’s those players plus someone else who is a big deal.
They may not elevate us but they are certainly good enough to maintain us!

Reaction Score
you know how easy it is to look great in a game where nobody defends...........UConn already has a 6'2" dunker who quickly learned life in big-time college ball is tough.............I'll be waiting to see how well she develops in college..........hopefully at UConn.......

I could care less about her dunking, she has "the feel" for blocking shots and she elevates on her layups. The only thing those 2 share is being 6'2 and a love for UConn. Patterson will be a power player.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It takes time to develop. Relearning how to play and making adjustments in your game takes time. You do it and do it and do it and do it until you dont get it wrong. Then you do it and do it and do it to make sure you dont loose it. It aint easy but its worth it. Stewie was a great player at 13/14 yrs of age. Stewie Tina are a couple that were coachable and became great because they were coachable. Give Ayanna and everybody else time to be developed. It doesnt happen over nite. You dont pop them into a microwave and presto theyre great. It takes time.

Reaction Score
I could care less about her dunking, she has "the feel" for blocking shots and she elevates on her layups. The only thing those 2 share is being 6'2 and a love for UConn. Patterson will be a power player.
I'm looking forward to a big leap from Patterson next season, but I guess only time will tell.......as for Fornier, I hope she follows in the footsteps of two other pretty good Canadian basketball players and is UConn bound....

Reaction Score
Every year bone yarders get excited because some kid manages to dunk the ball in high school. They get to UConn and we are lucky if they can consistently make layups at first; let alone dunk the ball. I'm still waiting to see a UConn player dunk the ball in a game - unless you consider the men. Time to give all the dunking talk a rest.

Reaction Score
Every year bone yarders get excited because some kid manages to dunk the ball in high school. They get to UConn and we are lucky if they can consistently make layups at first; let alone dunk the ball. I'm still waiting to see a UConn player dunk the ball in a game - unless you consider the men. Time to give all the dunking talk a rest.
sno-cat- - -I agree 100%!
I would be thrilled if they banned the Dunk in WCBB!
Too much is placed on possible dunks by the "talking suits"!
Geno once said "any of his players can dunk if they can, but they better NOT miss!"

Reaction Score
“But but but… [splutters in outrage] … it’s dunking!”

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to a big leap from Patterson next season, but I guess only time will tell.......as for Fornier, I hope she follows in the footsteps of two other pretty good Canadian basketball players and is UConn bound....
The similarities in athleticism to bball skill make me think Patterson will have a Gabby like progression....

Reaction Score
The similarities in athleticism to bball skill make me think Patterson will have a Gabby like progression....
Not sure she's as smooth or skilled as Gabby but she's taller and stronger and is willing to put in the work so I've got great expectations....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Patterson has the most functional dunk out of any UConn basketball player that I can remember on the woman’s side. I think it is strongly possible, if not likely, that she will dunk in a game. If it happens, it’ll be because that was the best functional play, and not because of showboating.

Reaction Score
I am not concerned if dunking is allowed or banned. Since 1984 there have been 31 dunks in NCAA D-1 women’s basketball. Hardly reason enough to ban it.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Patterson has the most functional dunk out of any UConn basketball player that I can remember on the woman’s side. I think it is strongly possible, if not likely, that she will dunk in a game. If it happens, it’ll be because that was the best functional play, and not because of showboating.
If the dunks can be at a higher percentage than lay-ins, we are all for them - right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the dunks can be at a higher percentage than lay-ins, we are all for them - right?
Yep, but very few women have the hops to be able to do that. Stewart was kind of on the fringe and didn’t dunk in college. Candace Parker was pretty close to the same space but did. The only time I see Patterson doing it is off of a rebound.

Speaking of dunking, Andre Jackson on the men’s side has incredible hops.

1681851252077.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom