LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Batgirl. A bit of a 'tude and has some sand in her pants. :D

No one can look at her and ask the question "Where's the beef?" :D

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As far as NON - Uconn players go, Sophie Cunningham impressed me today. Not sure where she was ranked during recruiting but I thought she was by far the best player on the floor today as Mizzou beat Tenn.

Reaction Score
Let's not overlook the obvious. I'm not sure KLS has played a better "overall" game in a UCONN uniform. She is on a mission to drag this team across the championship line.
And... I saw no indication of the ankle issue... the latest brace is working well and not inhibiting any movement in Lou. I was worried in the first quarter when she was knocked to the floor on a drive and was slow to get up. I held my breath as she went back down the floor for defense.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Not really fair to include the usual cast of characters because they impress most of the time. For me, it was hands down Batouly. She was aggressive, physical and a presence on the boards.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
As much as I liked what I saw in the 4th quarter, let's not heap too much praise yet on the benchers as a group. After all, Temple is about the worst team in the conference. We should not attach too much weight to one good performance against a weak team in a blow out game. The real pluses I took away were the potential they showed and no committing of stupid mistakes.

Reaction Score
for me it was Touley and we are going to need her. It is so good to see her beginning to be able to move after all her struggles. She showed so real flashes of quickness moving to the basket, and strength. If she ran into me I would be out for the count. But every game it seems the question is how quickly will Z get 5 fouls. We have all those estimates of her points and rebounds per 40 minutes. Would be interested to see her fouls per 40. Did she just play zone at Duke so she just never learned man? I would have thought that with all of last year as a learning experience she would be better at the D by now. I can't imagine what would happen if she had to play big minutes against Baylor, Miss State or S. Carolina. Only hope would be could she get them in foul trouble as fast as she gets herself in foul trouble. Stay healthy Gabby, and everyone else too. Other item I noted today, all the starters follow Geno's rule, hands up on defense. I was watching Walker and Z. Hands down at the knees for Walker and at the waist for Z a lot. I must say, someone posted the video of Shea teaching defense, and after one session of her yelling at someone else just by video, I got it. But maybe in a game it is harder than it looks to keep your hands up. I never played the game so I guess I have no business criticizing. But it seems strange to think back to all the raves we were giving Z last year and this Fall and she would push several people aside as starters. I guess we just saw the great offense and the good zone she could play at Duke, but Geno demands a whole nother level D.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not really fair to include the usual cast of characters because they impress most of the time. For me, it was hands down Batouly. She was aggressive, physical and a presence on the boards.

Hopefully she impressed the coaches today to the point they want to see more, to see if her play today was just an aberration, or a prelude of things to come, and an indication of where she's at in her development. :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
for me it was Touley and we are going to need her. It is so good to see her beginning to be able to move after all her struggles. She showed so real flashes of quickness moving to the basket, and strength. If she ran into me I would be out for the count. But every game it seems the question is how quickly will Z get 5 fouls. We have all those estimates of her points and rebounds per 40 minutes. Would be interested to see her fouls per 40. Did she just play zone at Duke so she just never learned man? I would have thought that with all of last year as a learning experience she would be better at the D by now. I can't imagine what would happen if she had to play big minutes against Baylor, Miss State or S. Carolina. Only hope would be could she get them in foul trouble as fast as she gets herself in foul trouble. Stay healthy Gabby, and everyone else too. Other item I noted today, all the starters follow Geno's rule, hands up on defense. I was watching Walker and Z. Hands down at the knees for Walker and at the waist for Z a lot. I must say, someone posted the video of Shea teaching defense, and after one session of her yelling at someone else just by video, I got it. But maybe in a game it is harder than it looks to keep your hands up. I never played the game so I guess I have no business criticizing. But it seems strange to think back to all the raves we were giving Z last year and this Fall and she would push several people aside as starters. I guess we just saw the great offense and the good zone she could play at Duke, but Geno demands a whole nother level D.

She's been relegated to coming in late in the game with other reserves. It would be interesting to see how she would fare/perform with 4 of the starters. We can't forget she did start 14 of the 33 games she played in for Kentucky her freshman year in the SEC. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Batouly is such a presence out there. She is built like a tank, fights hard on the glass and she has some good moves as well. Cant take my eyes off of her when she is on the floor. I think she was the first of the subs off the bench (after the core 7) :D

I would really love her to get some more playing time since she would be very valuable if we play some of these monster post teams.

Edit: Oh yeah, she passes well (3 assists) and she plays without the yips (0 TO).
She also seems to be a calming and unifying force for the 2nd string, something Geno has wanted for some time.

Reaction Score
I've been saying all season that we haven't seen the "real" Batouly Camara yet and just wait till she gets healthy!
She played above her pay grade her freshman year at KY, really banging on the boards and shooting inside and 10' to 12' with accuracy!
Today she moved like she did 2 years ago, for a big body, she moves well up and down the court, and shows some nice inside moves! Also she LIKES to bang inside, she won't shy away from contact.
If she can continue to stay healthy and get in better shape she'll expand the rotation to 8 which will really help us as we get to the Sweet 16, Elite 8, and Final 4!
She's an event waiting to happen!

Reaction Score
I have to agree that Camara is beginning to position herself as a force. Not afraid to mix it up and can score. I keep seeing posts about Z and her outside shooting. Try listening to Geno - he wants her to go outside and shoot because if she starts hitting from there her defender will have to come out to guard her and take a big away from the lane for the rest of the team to benefit from. UConn is at its best when all 5 can sit around the 3 complete with their defenders which leaves the rest of the court for the cutters to dominate.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Touly for all the comments posted above. No sense repeating all the positives again.

Z for the first time I saw her ripping rebounds. To me this is the first time I saw her demonstrate any level of ferocity and attack the rebounds. I also felt like she did a better job catching the ball.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
<<If she can continue to stay healthy and get in better shape she'll expand the rotation to 8 which will really help us as we get to the Sweet 16, Elite 8, and Final 4!
She's an event waiting to happen!>>

Exactly what I've been hoping for. This team can handle one of the core four having an off night but can't having two with the same problem (Miss. State game). With seven in the rotation (Z and MW) that problem declines in significance. With eight, it all but disappears.

Here's hoping we're seeing the nascent "core eight" starting to take shape.

If Coombs also breaks out, I'd be ecstatic.

Reaction Score
Good question

1. Clearly Lou. She is the best player in the country. She's becoming the ultimate complete player with her strength as that deadly three point weapon. I'd take LOU over AJA every day of the week. Center position is not as important as a wing or guard that is handling the ball anyways.

2. Kyla- Kyla for those that don't get to the games in person is perhaps the most active bench player. She's the loudest, she helps point things out. You see that when she's on the court too. She's a leader. She hit a nice three, a few nice rebounds and put backs. The girl really gets it. I think next year you will see it pay off for her.

3. Genos one handed three from mid court. Saw that clip, from before game?!? Wow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom