Who impressed you today? | The Boneyard

Who impressed you today?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Who made you lean forward in your seat and say.........Humm? For me, it was Stevens and Camara. Z made her bunnies today. Usually a source of frustration. Not today. I'd really like to see this carryover to the Tulane game..........and beyond.

Camara showed me a little sump'um sump'um today. I thought she played very well. She made a couple of nice moves on offense to score a couple of buckets. Very happy to see the knee brace gone. She's starting to look more comfortable out there. IMHO, she earned a longer look next game. Even Geno agrees. Here's an excerpt from an article written by the Courant's Mike Anthony - "Camara, formerly at Kentucky, sat out last season per NCAA transfer rules and has missed significant time this season due to knee injuries. On Sunday, she played a season-high 11 minutes, had a season-high eight points and a season-high three rebounds.

She hasn't had a chance to play and she looked good — looked good, felt good, was moving a lot better,” coach Geno Auriemma said. “It's unusual to have somebody sit out a year and then miss a lot of time in practice because of an injury. It just takes forever to get into the swing of things. Like I said about the other guys in the group, I want them to have a little bit of success and I'm glad they did.”

The doctors and trainers have been bringing her along slowly. The brace is off, and it looks like she's been given the green light. Once she settles in, I think Batouly will pay mucho dividends. I look for her to make a huge impact in 2018-2019. I hope to see more of her in their last 3 games. Hopefully she peaked the coach's curiosity and they want to see more during the last 3 games.

Last edited by a moderator:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Camara is finally looking like she is ready to play and performing well - not only was she decisive and aggressive going to the basket, but the three assists were really nice - understanding the offense and where players were going around her.

Z had some nice aggressive rebounds, a few too many fouls, but as you say making the bunnies.

And I thought Walker and Irwin both played well.

The starters - all solid and while Crystal hasn't yet got her stroke back, she led the team well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Batouly is such a presence out there. She is built like a tank, fights hard on the glass and she has some good moves as well. Cant take my eyes off of her when she is on the floor. I think she was the first of the subs off the bench (after the core 7) :D

I would really love her to get some more playing time since she would be very valuable if we play some of these monster post teams.

Edit: Oh yeah, she passes well (3 assists) and she plays without the yips (0 TO).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Touly! Tuffk
I think Camara is finally looking like she is ready to play and performing well - not only was she decisive and aggressive going to the basket, but the three assists were really nice - understanding the offense and where players were going around her.

Z had some nice aggressive rebounds, a few too many fouls, but as you say making the bunnies.

And I thought Walker and Irwin both played well.

The starters - all solid and while Crystal hasn't yet got her stroke back, she led the team well.
Man, you guys beat me to it. Clearly you were watching the game. Touly's moving well, becoming more aggressive in the lane on offense and bodying up on defense. There is still barely a few pieces of paper between her and the court when she jumps, but she uses her body and feet so well on offense and defense she's in good position to make plays. She has a nice quick release around the hoop. If between now and Dancing Time she can get in better game shape she's going to be a sweet addition against bigger, physical teams.

Reaction Score
That was the best the bench has played in quite some time.................they moved the ball really well and had some nice assists.................as others have commented Camara moved much more freely today and looked for her own shot on several occasions.................Walker missed several initial shots but followed well on the offensive glass for the put back...................overall a really complete team effort today.............

Reaction Score
Mikayla also had a great first step to the left on that baseline drive. We’ve seen her blow by a defender with that move multiple times. Didn’t get the shot, but that will come.

I thought the whole second unit finally played comfortably as a team

Carnac

Reaction Score
Man, you guys beat me to it. Clearly you were watching the game. Touly's moving well, becoming more aggressive in the lane on offense and bodying up on defense. There is still barely a few pieces of paper between her and the court when she jumps, but she uses her body and feet so well on offense and defense she's in good position to make plays. She has a nice quick release around the hoop. If between now and Dancing Time she can get in better game shape she's going to be a sweet addition against bigger, physical teams.

I just hope and pray that Camara has a good summer, and comes back in the fall completely healthy, the light has come on, and she's ready to play. I mean really ready to play!!! Because of her injury, we were not able to see the real Batouly Camara this year. All we saw was quick flashes. Next year (and the following year), we'll see the full Monty!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Batouly is such a presence out there. She is built like a tank, fights hard on the glass and she has some good moves as well. Cant take my eyes off of her when she is on the floor. I think she was the first of the subs off the bench (after the core 7) :D

I would really love her to get some more playing time since she would be very valuable if we play some of these monster post teams.

Edit: Oh yeah, she passes well (3 assists) and she plays without the yips (0 TO).

Agree fully. Want to see more and then unleash her in the tournament!

Reaction Score
IMHO that was the best final 15 minutes of a game where the bench played like the starters. They had flow and movement that was in sync and most of the players were looking to score (except Molly.) Molly played good D and had some rebounds. She also dribbled a little more and had crisp passes. Molly also can show her soccer speed down the floor.
Megan was more relaxed and she is very fast. Megan and Pheese look alike on court and they move so fluidly. Megan will be a help this season yet. As others said, Z was much more aggressive and passed well. She is also a runner. Until she shot the 3 point brick I felt she played almost perfectly for her. Foul prone as UC said, but aggressive. Camara is a nice player. She reminds me of Serena Williams--big, strong, but quick with moves. Kyla looked like a senior in regards to her IQ. She constantly moves, looks for passes (low turnovers recently) and is starting to score more.
I felt that Lexi was the only one that was off kilter a little. Not much flow and a little unsure--of course, she has the lowest minutes on the year so that is understandable.
UConn is a solid top six player team. Megan, Kyla, and Camara can do emergency time when necessary without hurting the team too much. I like the projector. This entire game was fun to watch.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Who made you lean forward in your seat and say....Hummmmm? For me, it was Stevens and Camara. Z made her bunnies today. Usually a source of frustration. Not today.

Hitting bunnies you are supposed to make is nothing to be impressed about. Relieved, maybe but impressed ? She was a force on the boards but Temple is really small so hard to weigh her effort there. She still has the need to fire a 3 pt missile but I think it is now within the offense since we are now ready to get those massive rebounds. :rolleyes:

I appreciate what Z has to offer our team but she has a lot more in her that needs to come out and that starts with her believing she is the best player on the floor. Today baby steps.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hitting bunnies you are supposed to make is nothing to be impressed about. Relieved, maybe but impressed ? She was a force on the boards but Temple is really small so hard to weigh her effort there. She still has the need to fire a 3 pt missile but I think it is now within the offense since we are now ready to get those massive rebounds. :rolleyes:

I appreciate was Z has to offer our team but she has a lot more in her that needs to come out and that starts with her believing she is the best player on the floor. Today baby steps.

Thanks, but everyone sees the game differently.

Reaction Score
IMHO that was the best final 15 minutes of a game where the bench played like the starters. They had flow and movement that was in sync and most of the players were looking to score (except Molly.) Molly played good D and had some rebounds. She also dribbled a little more and had crisp passes. Molly also can show her soccer speed down the floor.
Megan was more relaxed and she is very fast. Megan and Pheese look alike on court and they move so fluidly. Megan will be a help this season yet. As others said, Z was much more aggressive and passed well. She is also a runner. Until she shot the 3 point brick I felt she played almost perfectly for her. Foul prone as UC said, but aggressive. Camara is a nice player. She reminds me of Serena Williams--big, strong, but quick with moves. Kyla looked like a senior in regards to her IQ. She constantly moves, looks for passes (low turnovers recently) and is starting to score more.
I felt that Lexi was the only one that was off kilter a little. Not much flow and a little unsure--of course, she has the lowest minutes on the year so that is understandable.
UConn is a solid top six player team. Megan, Kyla, and Camara can do emergency time when necessary without hurting the team too much. I like the projector. This entire game was fun to watch.

Coach---I miss your analytical skills, we need more of you. Really fine. I keep asking, because I rarely see the foul called on Azura. Is that my Uonn bias or is she getting ticky tack calls because of her size? Also she started this season less aggressive. I'll take a foul or 3 for her to assert her presence under the basket.\
Coach: Don't stay away so long, we need one of your knowledge. Good game played by the Bench, no doubt, .not perfect but way way better than previous

Reaction Score
Camara is a real piece of work. She plays that little bit nasty, east coast city game. She goes to the ball, and goes to the rack and isn't really concerned about where the bodies land. Quick hands and feet and something you don't see in the women's game too often, the ability to get off the floor quickly a second time after the initial jump. She knows what she's doing and is just what they need for 3-4 minutes a half come tournament time.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Camara is a real piece of work. She plays that little bit nasty, east coast city game. She goes to the ball, and goes to the rack and isn't really concerned about where the bodies land. Quick hands and feet and something you don't see in the women's game too often, the ability to get off the floor quickly a second time after the initial jump. She knows what she's doing and is just what they need for 3-4 minutes a half come tournament time.

I like NASTY!!! :D

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Let's not overlook the obvious. I'm not sure KLS has played a better "overall" game in a UCONN uniform. She is on a mission to drag this team across the championship line.

If KLS no longer impresses, it's becuase she has had so many great games recently that we tend to take for granted.

Among the bench players, I was most surprised by Batouly, perhaps because she has not played much so far. If she stays health, she could be a force next season when we lose Gabby and Kia. I also liked Kyla's movement and confidence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom