Who have been UConn's shortest players | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who have been UConn's shortest players

Poe

Reaction Score
Kemba was 5'11.5, Bazz 5'11, Boat 5'10.

Boat challenges Andre Jackson as our best pure athlete ever IMO. It's crazy the alley-oops he would routinely catch at his size.
FYI for everyone, these were their combine measurements.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was wrong about 85. I do remember them starting together at some point.

Reaction Score
I think there was a period when Hobbs, Giscombe, and Dulin were all starting together. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine can verify that?

Hobbs and Giscombe were the two big freshman recruits, but Perno did not want to send senior Dulin to the bench so he started all three. Trying to win games by going under the opponents, LOL. I don't think it worked very well.

Edit: I must be wrong about this. Looked it up, Corny McKay Aleksinas were all on the team and all three definitely starting. Memory is a crazy thing.
That never happened
Dulin started every game as a senior along with the Big Three
Hobbs and Giscombe alternated as staters in 27-29 games
The other 2 starts went to Storming Norman Bailey

Reaction Score
When we had Karl Hobbs and Vern Giscombe in the backcourt we were playing Patrick Ewing Georgetown teams. It wasn't pleasant. IIRC correctly we had more than 20 game losing streaks against GTown, St Johns and Nova.
We actually beat Georgetown a couple of times once even at their place in the Hobbs years.

arch

Reaction Score
I have been a fan since 1962 and never heard the name before.
I think Comey is Graduated in ’61? Don’t remember him starting. More of a 6th man in 60-61 season. Heck of a shooter.

Reaction Score
Where does it show Giscombe starting? I looked for this, including on this page and I couldn't find it.
I am willing to concede, and I urge Kathy and others to join me in this, that there is less than concrete evidence that Hobbs and Giscombe ever started together as a backcourt at UConn. My statement that they did so may well have been based on faulty recollection. You, CL82, have done a service to the forum by calling us out on this. Your watchfulness is admirable and your persistence only slightly less than breathtaking.

Reaction Score
Where does it show Giscombe starting? I looked for this, including on this page and I couldn't find it.
Click uconn next to 82-83 will give you whole roster then click Giscombe

Reaction Score

Doug Wiggins was no giant.
One of the smallest players I remember is Michael Adams. Before old age is causing me to shrink I was 5'6" and he and I looked eye to eye but I remember BCU saying he was 5"10" - hog wash
He played 100MPH , That little guy ran the court as fast as anyone who ever played.
with a shirt 3 sizes to big he was fun to watch . Dr Tom Davis was their coach before he left for Iowa

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I did all of that but I don't see where it says he started. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to figure out how I keep missing it.

Reaction Score
I am willing to concede, and I urge Kathy and others to join me in this, that there is less than concrete evidence that Hobbs and Giscombe ever started together as a backcourt at UConn. My statement that they did so may well have been based on faulty recollection. You, CL82, have done a service to the forum by calling us out on this. Your watchfulness is admirable and your persistence only slightly less than breathtaking.
Kathy is correct
in 82-83
Earl Kelly .( F) and Vern (J) alternated at guard with Karl who started every game
Vern started 13 games Hobbs all 28
I have a photo but the BY doesn’t accept .prn

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kathy is correct
in 82-83
Earl Kelly .( F) and Vern (J) alternated at guard with Karl who started every game
Vern started 13 games Hobbs all 28
I have a photo but the BY doesn’t accept .prn
Yeah, I didn't disagree with her I just don't know where you guys are seeing it. Doesn't matter, I guess.

Reaction Score
Alterique Gilbert was a towering 5’7”

I think Comey is Graduated in ’61? Don’t remember him starting. More of a 6th man in 60-61 season. Heck of a shooter.
Comey graduated In 63 and played in the same backcourt with Perno
he averaged 11ppg as a senior on a decent team with Toby Kimball
I‘m sorry I had forgotten him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1