Who have been UConn's shortest players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who have been UConn's shortest players

Reaction Score
Joey Welton, AL Weston , Karl Hobbs and Vern Giscombe come to mind.
I think there was a period when Hobbs, Giscombe, and Dulin were all starting together. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine can verify that?

Hobbs and Giscombe were the two big freshman recruits, but Perno did not want to send senior Dulin to the bench so he started all three. Trying to win games by going under the opponents, LOL. I don't think it worked very well.

Edit: I must be wrong about this. Looked it up, Corny McKay Aleksinas were all on the team and all three definitely starting. Memory is a crazy thing.

Reaction Score
Nowell didn't seem small to me at the dinner. I would guess a solid 6' or more. The picture I posted in the dinner thread next to Abraham isn't an accurate comparative height, but Abraham is slightly taller than Ross/Stewart even excluding hair. It is Mahaney that I think might be overstated in size. Skeptical 6'3 (unknown Hilton units on any of them)

I think being so wide in the shoulders must make him look shorter. Good to know he has adequate height. Hassan is going to be an awesome mentor for him, and hopefully he can tear up the Big East by mid-January.

Reaction Score

Alterique Gilbert - Men's Basketball ...

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
John Gwynn reffed some of my college games. One time when my number was called to rain some treys/cherry pick enough to catch a dunk during garbage time, I stood next to him and he was quite a bit shorter than me and I’m around 6’4”. He’s definitely under 6ft. Super nice guy BTW.

Reaction Score
Kemba was 5'11.5, Bazz 5'11, Boat 5'10.

Boat challenges Andre Jackson as our best pure athlete ever IMO. It's crazy the alley-oops he would routinely catch at his size.
love me some ajax, but still gotta be sticks. RIP.

Reaction Score
Karl Hobbs likely the all-time leader in minutes(or pts/assists)/height - who is on opposite end of that spectrum?
Justin Brown?

Reaction Score
I think there was a period when Hobbs, Giscombe, and Dulin were all starting together. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine can verify that?

Hobbs and Giscombe were the two big freshman recruits, but Perno did not want to send senior Dulin to the bench so he started all three. Trying to win games by going under the opponents, LOL. I don't think it worked very well.

Edit: I must be wrong about this. Looked it up, Corny McKay Aleksinas were all on the team and all three definitely starting. Memory is a crazy thing.
I believe Hobbs and Giscombe played together 1981 through 1983.

Reaction Score
Dale Comey was 5’9”. He was a starting guard in the early 60’s.
Your mentioning Dale Comey reminded me of his teammate Andy Czuchry, listed at 6-0. Andy became an engineering professor at East Tennessee State and the father of TV actor Matt Czuchry. Matt had longtime roles on "Gilmore Girls" and "The Good Wife" before a 6-year run as the lead in "The Resident," which my wife and I just got through bingeing on.

Reaction Score
Apologies being my UConn memories start in the late 80's.

RJ Cole: Short but stocky and strong.
Khalid El-Amin: See above.
Ryan Boatright: Probably equal in height to the two above, but being so lean, he looked smaller.
Antoine Anderson: Just looked short to me.

Shortest players I remember us playing against: David Cain (St. John's), Dominic James (Marquette), John Linehan (Providence), and Scoonie Penn (BC>Ohio St.).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe Hobbs and Giscombe played together 1981 through 1983.
Giscombe and Hobbs were at UConn from 1980-1981 through 1983-1984.

Giscombe was 5'10 and Hobbs 5'7" but each was listed an inch taller.

Both had some skills but all on all not enough for the level of competition we faced in the BE back then, especially when paired together in a miniature back court.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I don't think Vern was a starter.
I'm pretty sure he was. Very good distance shooter. One sportswriter referred to them as Uconn's pair of jockeys in the backcourt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he was. Very good distance shooter. One sportswriter referred to them as Uconn's pair of jockeys in the backcourt.
I could be wrong, but I remember talking with him about why he was stuck behind Hobbs, that was probably the 1981–1982 year though. Granted Hobbs was point and Vern was more of a two.

Minutes look more like six man then starter.

IMG_3066.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'm 5'9" and Hobbs was about an inch shorter. Boat was not much taller than me, if at all.

Reaction Score
When we had Karl Hobbs and Vern Giscombe in the backcourt we were playing Patrick Ewing Georgetown teams. It wasn't pleasant. IIRC correctly we had more than 20 game losing streaks against GTown, St Johns and Nova.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Giscombe and Hobbs started in 82-83 - 28 games. That was Kelly's freshman year
Where did you find that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1