• Geno Auriemma

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Defined by however you want-number of P5 coaches, # of overall head coaches, # of HC and assistant coaches, won-loss records...Feel free to add numbers to your replies as I am curious how the BYers assess this question.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Defined by however you want-number of P5 coaches, # of overall head coaches, # of HC and assistant coaches, won-loss records...Feel free to add numbers to your replies as I am curious how the BYers assess this question.

Definitely Pat for sheer volume, I don't think her coaching tree will ever be touched. She's had a zillion former players/ assistants become head coaches and assistants. Currently today 3 are head coaches in the SEC and a former grad assistant makes a 4th.

Other notables:
Carolyn Peck-associate head coach under Pat, National Championship coach at Purdue
Sylvia Hatchell-coached JV under Pat in 70s at Tennessee, National Championship winning coach
Sharon Fanning-Otis-grad assistant, became 30+ year head coach at UT-Chat, Kentucky, and Mississippi State
Nancy Darsch-former assistant, coached in NCAA Finals (Ohio State) and WNBA Finals (Liberty)
Jane Albright-former grad assistant, 30+ year head coach at 5 different schools
Holly Warlick-former player, head coach at Tennessee for 7 seasons
Niya Butts-former player, head coach of Arizona for 8 years, current UK assistant
Micki Demoss-former assistant, former head coach at Kentucky, serial assistant coach
Jody Adams-former player, 10 years head coach at Murray State
Kara Lawson-coaching in NBA

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Ok, someone put "Other" as a vote, do they care to divulge the name they are thinking of? :rolleyes:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
SEC has three Tennessee players as head coaches.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Im trying to think of Kay Yow's and Debbie Ryan's trees. Ryan has Staley, Trina Patterson (UNC-G)....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Did we have to put Geno's name up there. He is not going to fare well. :(

Berube is our only hope now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Im trying to think of Kay Yow's and Debbie Ryan's trees. Ryan has Staley, Trina Patterson (UNC-G)....
Tammi Reiss (Rhode Island)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Tammi Reiss (Rhode Island)

I had her listed then I took her off.... not sure how URI did this past season. Jenny Bouchard (sp) is also a member of the Ryan tree.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
What about Leon Barmore at Louisiana Tech?

Nell Fortner
Kim Mulkey
Brooke Stoehr (Lassiter)
Kurt Budke
Kristy Curry
Kelly Curry
Teresa Weatherspoon

I'm sure I'm missing a lot more.
I was thinking of that but not sure where Sonja Hogg started and Leon took over...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What about Leon Barmore at Louisiana Tech?

Nell Fortner
Kim Mulkey
Brooke Stoehr (Lassiter)
Kurt Budke
Kristy Curry
Kelly Curry
Teresa Weatherspoon

I'm sure I'm missing a lot more.

That's a heck of a tree. Mulkey obviously, Nell Fortner coached an Olympic team, Curry's almost won a title at Purdue, Budke had some great coaching years too. Probably best overall quality of coaches of any tree, and he only coached there 18 years.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Also worth a mention is the Cathy Rush (extended) coaching tree:

Theresa Grentz
> Chris Dailey
Marianne Stanley
> Anne Donovan
> Nancy Lieberman
Rene Portland
> Suzie McConnell-Serio

Probably there are other names I'm not thinking of.

Reaction Score
I was thinking of that but not sure where Sonja Hogg started and Leon took over...
Gary Blair began his college coaching career under Sonja Hogg and Leon Barmore in 1980. Technically Hogg signed him but Barmore was the coach he worked under.

Reaction Score
Gary Blair began his college coaching career under Sonja Hogg and Leon Barmore in 1980. Technically Hogg signed him but Barmore was the coach he worked under.

Can't believe I left him off. I went and looked at the La Tech media guide and saw his picture but just forgot to add him. Dude won a national championship.

Reaction Score
For someone with only 7 years HC experience, Mike Neighbors has Fred Castro at EMU, Adia Barnes at Arizona (along with former staffer Jackie Nared), and Morgan Valley at Hartford. And former player Chantel Osahor on his own staff at Arkansas.

I don’t for a minute think this puts him in the conversation with Pat, Muffett, etc., but it’s not bad for a fairly short tenure as a HC.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What is interesting is "criteria" - assistant coaches, head coaches, good coaches? Pat does lead, but not everyone on her tree is of equal success - Nyia Butts, anyone?

I agree that Cathy Rush and Leon Barmore certainly had significant coaching trees.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
For someone with only 7 years HC experience, Mike Neighbors has Fred Castro at EMU, Adia Barnes at Arizona (along with former staffer Jackie Nared), and Morgan Valley at Hartford. And former player Chantel Osahor on his own staff at Arkansas.

I don’t for a minute think this puts him in the conversation with Pat, Muffett, etc., but it’s not bad for a fairly short tenure as a HC.

Doesn't McGuff get credit for all of these since Neighbors was his assistant at Xavier and Washington? :rolleyes:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Very late arrival to this thread. Just missed it. Was maybe paying (too much) attention to the WNBA draft being held the next day or whatever, but missed it. While Summit, through her longevity and success, has a lot of folks who have populated positions throughout the NCAA, I want to point out that Muffet McGraw has a lot of players and/or former assistant coaches that have gone into coaching. Here's a Baker's Dozen of coaches with ND background:

Players and/or Coaches Who Have Gone On to Head Coaching Positions

- Coquese Washington, Point Guard for Fighting Irish under MM, also assitant at ND.
-- Former HC at Penn State (209-169)
-- Currently associate head coach at Oklahoma.
- Kevin McGuff. Was an assistant on the 2011 ND Championship Team. Head-coaching gigs include:
-- Xavier, Ohio (214-73)
-- Washington (41-26)
-- Ohio State (155-77)
- Jonathan Tsipis, Was assistant coach/chief recruiter during Skylar Diggins/Kayla McBride years)
-- George Washington (92-38)
-- Wisconsin (45-80)
- Megan Duffy, point guard for Fighting Irish.
-- Miami, Ohio (44-20)
-- Marquette (24-8)
-- Assistant coach at St. John's, George Washington, Michigan
- Beth Morgan Cunningham
-- Currently Associate Head Coach/Oversees Recruiting for Notre Dame
-- Head Coach at VCU for nine seasons (167-115). Was also asst. coach there for two years.
- Carol Owens
-- Two stints as Post Coach at Notre Dame. During first, she worked with Ruth Riley during first ND National championship.
-- Head Coach at Alma Mater, Northern Illinois from 2005-2010 (overall .449 winning %)
-- Returned to ND to coach posts/frontcourt players, including Dev Peters, Natalie Achonwa, Bri Turner and Jess Shepard. Currently Associate Head Coach.

Players and/or Coaches Who Have Gone On to Assistant Coaching Positions

- Niele Ivey, point guard on ND National Championship Team in 2001
-- Assistant Coach at Xavier under Kevin McGuff
-- Long-time Assistant Coach, Recruiting Coordinator (most notable recruit: Skylar Diggins) and Associate Head Coach at Notre Dame.
-- Currently in first year (abbreviated) of being assistant coach for NBA Memphis Grizzlies
- Melissa D'Amico, center for Notre Dame
-- Currently Assistant Coach at Wake Forest University
-- Prior to that, was Post Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Yale
-- Served same function prior to that at Colgate.
- Charel Allen, guard and two-year captain while playing at ND under MM.
-- Just finished fourth year as assistant at Cal State Fullerton, where she helps with the recruiting along with coaching the wings for the Titans.
- Ashley Barlow, guard for Notre Dame who graduated in 2010.
-- Currently assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for Wright State University.
-- Was also an assistant coach for Evansville University.
- Ariel Braker, center for Notre Dame, who was a member of the winningest class in ND history, finishing with a record of 138-15 (along with K. McBride and N. Achonwa).
-- Just finished first season as assitant at Oakland, Mich., near hometown of Grosse Point Woods.
-- Spent two prior years at Lehigh University, where MM had her only other HC experience.
- Markesa Wright, center for Notre Dame under MM, who graduated in 2015.
-- Has coached at Drake for last four years. She's a native of Des Moines.
- Michaela Mabrey, guard for Notre Dame; a.k.a. on Boneyard as "Mabrey1."
-- Currently assistant coach at her alma mater, Notre Dame, coaching the point guards.
-- Prior to that, had one-year stints as recruiting coordinator at LSU and assistant coach at Miami, Ohio, under fellow ND alum, Megan Duffy.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Did I see 2 men on that list? Ummm, interesting...:rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ryan's tree has more NCAA championships (Geno) than any other coach's except Jim Foster's (Geno and Muffet) and with just those 2 maybe more wins (2000ish)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ryan's tree has more NCAA championships (Geno) than any other coach's except Jim Foster's (Geno and Muffet) and with just those 2 maybe more wins (2000ish)

Great call on Jim Foster....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom