Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Did I see 2 men on that list? Ummm, interesting...:rolleyes:

(I'll let that drizzle slide off my London Fog :cool: )

Could've been three, but Bill Fennelly was on staff for one year when Muffet arrived from Lehigh. He stayed on for one more year, then took the job at Toledo, before embarking to Iowa State, where he's been since then.

Actually, addressing your point/dig ;) , what I found interesting doing this research was just how many of MM's more recent charges have taken to coaching, from Mabrey1 and Ariel Braker to Markesha Wright. A few of the slightly older players -- Melissa D'Amico, Ashley Barlow, Charel Allen -- could be up non P-5 HC jobs in a few years.

Good exercise. Thanks for putting me up to the research! :D

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There have been some really great comments from the contributors on this thread that have me wondering how to put together a chart to display. Coaches can and often do work for many different programs/coaches and therefore can have many roots from many coaches. The one I struggled with was Sonja Hogg and Leon Barmore who I do thing have had some pretty good students-Gary Blair, Kurt Budke (OSU coach who died in plane crash), Kim Mulkey, Nell Fortner, Micki DeMoss, Teresa Whitherspoon and Kristi Curry to name a few.

That said, while Pat Summitt has an enormous amount, I just don't think any have become elite other than Sylvia Hatchell (Triad will now reply with his requisite meme). Even Tara for as long as she has been coaching does not have a great tree other than Charli Turner Thorne. That's not a knock as I think just like Geno, she tends to keep assistant coaches for a long time. For those that voted for Geno, not sure what the heck you are looking at as his tree is not highly successful nor deep. All our hopes are pinned to Carla. Marissa is off to a nice start at BU but Tanya and Jen have been either average or underwhelming.

Debbie Ryan has two of the most famous coaching tree successes with Geno and Dawn but not sure if there is anyone else.

Overall, like I said, this has been a great thread to peruse back on to read. Thanks everyone! :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There have been some really great comments from the contributors on this thread that have me wondering how to put together a chart to display. Coaches can and often do work for many different programs/coaches and therefore can have many roots from many coaches. The one I struggled with was Sonja Hogg and Leon Barmore who I do thing have had some pretty good students-Gary Blair, Kurt Budke (OSU coach who died in plane crash), Kim Mulkey, Nell Fortner, Micki DeMoss, Teresa Whitherspoon and Kristi Curry to name a few.

That said, while Pat Summitt has an enormous amount, I just don't think any have become elite other than Sylvia Hatchell (Triad will now reply with his requisite meme). Even Tara for as long as she has been coaching does not have a great tree other than Charli Turner Thorne. That's not a knock as I think just like Geno, she tends to keep assistant coaches for a long time. For those that voted for Geno, not sure what the heck you are looking at as his tree is not highly successful nor deep. All our hopes are pinned to Carla. Marissa is off to a nice start at BU but Tanya and Jen have been either average or underwhelming.

Debbie Ryan has two of the most famous coaching tree successes with Geno and Dawn but not sure if there is anyone else.

Overall, like I said, this has been a great thread to peruse back on to read. Thanks everyone! :)
Weatherspoon. Witherspoon was her teammate on the original NY Liberty team.

I tend to agree about Pat's tree and "elite", and as I said earlier, how do you differentiate folks that were long time successful assistant coaches vs. the head coaches, vs the highly unsuccessful head coaches?

Vivian's tree is similar to Geno's, without the bright spot of Berube. Mostly successful assistant coaches - many quite respected. Mostly failures as head coaches. Off the top of my head, the most successful in Viv's tree would be Coach Abe at UCF. The best known might be Marianna Freeman, who was at Syracuse for 10 years. Both former top assistants, Carlene Mitchell and Jolette Law, were disasterous as HC's, although Law has a long career as an assistant and is currently at South Carolina (her home state, as well).

Reaction Score
Coaching tree can get complicated when one considers players verses assistant coaches.

Pat became a head coach at 22, fresh off of a degree, in a different era. That will never happen again. She basically got to hand pick every person to associate with the UT program from players to coaches. Pat coached tons of players over the years who would eventually become coaches at all levels. Additionally, consider Pat honestly had very few assistant coaches under her when one considers a 38 year career because they stayed, were loyal to her, and were part of one of the top programs.

There will likely never be another situation like that again given how players transfer, assistants often stay for fewer years before moving on and how there are more programs that get national attention, still not enough but it's more than in the 80s and early 90s.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Coaching tree can get complicated when one considers players verses assistant coaches.

Pat became a head coach at 22, fresh off of a degree, in a different era. That will never happen again. She basically got to hand pick every person to associate with the UT program from players to coaches. Pat coached tons of players over the years who would eventually become coaches at all levels. Additionally, consider Pat honestly had very few assistant coaches under her when one considers a 38 year career because they stayed, were loyal to her, and were part of one of the top programs.

There will likely never be another situation like that again given how players transfer, assistants often stay for fewer years before moving on and how there are more programs that get national attention, still not enough but it's more than in the 80s and early 90s.
Umm, not sure I agree with that. Tara and Geno had significantly more stability in their staffs. While Holly stayed on for many, many years, Micki came, went, came back again and Pat's 3rd assistants, grad assistants, basketball operations and video personnel regularly changed. MM also has stability with Cunningham, Owens but still movement with all those other roles. I would say Brenda Friese probably has the most movement of all her assistants over the last few years either by design or by behavior...

Reaction Score
From 1985 until 2012, when Pat retired, she had 5 assistant coaches. Prior to that she had 2, Sylvia Hatchell and Nancy Darsh. Holly, MIckie, Al, Nicki and Dean or some combination of the 3 made up the assistant coach ranks during the heyday. I wasn't referring to other personnel. That's not much turnover in 27 years.

CD has been with Geno all along and Amy Tucker served as one until recently for Stanford. I have no doubt Geno or Tara had much turnover either, I'm not sure "significantly" is the right word. All those programs have had stability due to support from the school, great head coaches and winning programs.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
From 1985 until 2012, when Pat retired, she had 5 assistant coaches. Prior to that she had 2, Sylvia Hatchell and Nancy Darsh. Holly, MIckie, Al, Nicki and Dean or some combination of the 3 made up the assistant coach ranks during the heyday. I wasn't referring to other personnel. That's not much turnover in 27 years.

CD has been with Geno all along and Amy Tucker served as one until recently for Stanford. I have no doubt Geno or Tara had much turnover either, I'm not sure "significantly" is the right word. All those programs have had stability due to support from the school, great head coaches and winning programs.
Perusing the Summitt Coaching Tree on Wiki, the data says she had 23 players go into coaching, 7 Grad assistants, 7 assistants, 1 son and 1 Assoc. Head Coach. Assistants were Darsch-7 years, DeMoss-18 Asst, 3 as Assoc, Greg Brown-1 year, Glance-1 year, Peck-2 years, Warlick-27 years. Remember this list is showing coaches who moved onto other programs so Al and Dean are not on the list. I suspect there are 2 or 3 others who only coached at Tenn not listed.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Perusing the Summitt Coaching Tree on Wiki, the data says she had 23 players go into coaching, 7 Grad assistants, 7 assistants, 1 son and 1 Assoc. Head Coach. Assistants were Darsch-7 years, DeMoss-18 Asst, 3 as Assoc, Greg Brown-1 year, Glance-1 year, Peck-2 years, Warlick-27 years. Remember this list is showing coaches who moved onto other programs so Al and Dean are not on the list. I suspect there are 2 or 3 others who only coached at Tenn not listed.
Beginning in '85-86 after Darsh left, it appears she had Holly and Mikki DeMoss as you indicate. Al Brown and Dean Lockwood were there 7 and 9 years respectively. Nikki Fargas was there 6 years, I'm not sure why she isn't on your list, The short termers you are looking for:
- Dawn Marsh - 2 years
- Pam Tanner - 3 years
- Peck - 2 years
and 1 year for Greg Brown, Daedra Charles and Stephanie Glance.

Glance was the long-time Associate Head Coach to Kay Yow at NC State and is currently (so far as I know) an executive with the Kay Yow Cancer Fund. In 2010 Pat hired her in a support role, but she took over as an assistant when someone (Charles, I think) became ill and left. Only there one year.
-

Reaction Score
Wow, very impressive with everyones memory and research skills!

This article mentions, Trish Roberts but everyone else already appears within this post. Trish’s coaching resume is long but not great - another example for the ‘elite’ debate.

The Pat Summitt coaching tree is massive

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom