Who has had the best off-season so far? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who has had the best off-season so far?

Reaction Score
Oregon had done an incredible job hiring head coaches in women's hoops, softball, T&F, and volleyball (well, I'll give Jim Moore credit for his coaching ability, but not player treatment). They have reached very high levels in those sports recently.
Oregon often gets good, very good, and sometimes even great coaches for their women's and men's teams, in part because they have the backing to shell out big bucks and in part because they have the "donor" willing to spend huge dollars for Oregon to build superior if not world class facilities. In part ($$$) + in part (more $$$) = in large part.

Oregon fans downplay if not entirely deny that the HUGE influx in money over the past 15-20 years has had anything to do with the massive improvement in the success of Oregon's sports program(s). Good grief. Before PK started pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into the school Oregon was basically known for 1 sport, track and field.
(and don't tell that some male athletes and possibly some women athletes don't select Oregon without daydreaming about what a Nike contract or Nike job might be like after graduation.)

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think we will just have to agree to disagree. Notre Dame led by McGraw is and has been an elite national program with elite teams for years and is performing like an elite national team. That is not overachieving in my book.

Oregon and Graves definitely overachieved in 2017-2018 by making the elite 8. They surprised no one this past year by making the elite 8 again. Oregon was picked to finish second in the Pac-12 this past season, and they finished first. Wooptie-doo. I would credit this to UCLA, the preseason first place selection, for underachieving more so than Oregon for overachieving. Ditto for the Pac-12 tournament. Overachieving 1 year (2016-2017) out of 4 does not make a team a "consistent" overachiever.

Now Rueck and Oregon State....they are the DEFINITION of consistent overachiever. The program was literally DEAD in the water 8 years ago. Things were so bad that the university was seriously considering dumping women's basketball entirely (permanently). He had one scholarship player on the team when he started, and had to hold open tryouts just field a team. He has more than just resurrected the team, but has taken it well beyond where it has ever been in the past.

Who else would you consider an overachieving coach besides Rueck?

And would you consider 2016-17 UCONN’s 36-1 season an overachieving year after they lost Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck? Or is that not overachieving because they’re consistently an elite program?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Good to see a member of the Rueck family join the board. :p Welcome aboard

Reaction Score
I
Good to see a member of the Rueck family join the board. :p Welcome aboard
I can guarantee that Oregon State will be picked no higher than 3rd in PAC12 preseason rankings (probably lower), and, Oregon State will get little respect (in preseason national rankings) from other most sports writers, and of course, Charlie Creme. I love the Boneyard as there are a bunch of smart folks who pay attention to those programs that consistently overachieve. Thank you for that.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Newfrontier, while I have some respect for what Graves has done at UO, I'm not a fan of the university overall. My parents and several uncles and cousins went to Oregon St., so that right there makes it difficult to root for UO. Then there's the whole Nike flagship and Uncle Phil angle. And nouveau riche fans are always charming. That takes a special kind of delusion to deny that Knight's generous backing has had anything to do w/ the overall large scale uptick in the general state of their athletics department and performance of various sports programs.

Reaction Score
Since the end of this year ...
In terms of the 2018-19 season, who has the best news so far in terms of transfers, injuries, that affect next year.

To be clear I'm only thinking about the impact on 2018-19.

I'm sure I'm missing some and have my rankings messed up. Just to get things going.
Reminder this is only for 2018-19 so transfers that dont play next year are not included (eg D Boykin, etc)

Update: 38 of 65 P5 teams have had a change to their 2018-19 roster in the past 7 weeks

BEST
  1. Baylor: Add Chloe Jackson (LSU), lose Natalie Chou
  2. Lousville: Add Yacine Diop (Pitt), lose Zambrotta
  3. Texas: Add Danni Williams (TAMU), lose Boothe (JUCO) & Caron-G (Canada)
  4. Rutgers: Add Charise Wilson (URI), lose Desiree Keeling (NC Cen)
  5. Michigan: add Rooks (Harvard), lose Peace (Hou)

WORST
  1. UConn: lose Azura Stevens (WNBA)
  2. Ole Miss: lose 8 transfers, add Crystal Allen (UTArl), Salter (Jax)
  3. Wash St: lose 5 transfers
  4. LSU: lose 3 transfers incl top player Chloe Jackson
  5. TAMU: Add Aja Ellison (Maryland), lose Danni Williams (Tex), Nichols (Fla), Howard

OTHERS

SCar: Add Nelly Perry (Clemson), Lose Patrick (NoFla)
Florida: lose Hayes (Clemson), Thomas (LSU), Johnson
Vandy: lose Overbeck (USC), Whalen (Dayt), Warren
Bama: lose 1 transfer
Kentucky: lose Cann (NAIA)
Tenn: add Brown (Wash St)

Illinois: lose 3 transfers
Maryland: lose Aja Ellison (TAMU)
Ohio St: Add Santoro (BGSU), lose Sierra Calhoun
Penn St: lose Boykin (PnSt)
Purdue: lose 2
Wisc: lose Marble (Colo St)

Iowa St: lose Kennedy-Hopoate (NMex)
TCU: lose Christian (Nev), Ramirez
TexTech: lose Bright (LaTech), Whilby (Purdue)
W Va: lose Ashley Jones (Temple)

NC St: lose Nae Nae Cole (Kentucky)
VaTech: lose 4 transfers
BC: lose Awubajo (UHart)
Clem: lose Alexander (Butler), Perry (SoCar)
Pitt: lose Diop (Lou)
Syr: lose Oppenheimer

Ariz: lose Fatkin (Montana)
ASU: lose Haines
Ore: lose McGwire (Boise), Maley (TCU), Campisano (CalPoly)
Utah: add Porter (UCSB), lose Jacobs (Col St) & Williams
Col: lose Freeman (GMason)
USC: add Wallace (Loy Marym), Lose Abejon (Manh)
Wash: lose 1

DeP: lose 4 transfers

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Update: 39 of 65 P5 teams have had a change to their 2018-19 roster in the past 7 weeks

including 9 of 12 from PAC

BEST
  1. Baylor: Add Chloe Jackson (LSU), lose Natalie Chou
  2. Lousville: Add Yacine Diop (Pitt), lose Zambrotta
  3. Texas: Add Danni Williams (TAMU), lose Boothe (JUCO) & Caron-G (Canada)
  4. Rutgers: Add Charise Wilson (URI), lose Desiree Keeling (NC Cen)
  5. Michigan: add Rooks (Harvard), lose Peace (Hou)

WORST
  2. Ole Miss: lose 8 transfers, add Crystal Allen (UTArl), Salter (Jax)
  5. TAMU: Add Aja Ellison (Maryland), lose Danni Williams (Tex), Nichols (Fla), Howard

OTHERS

Ohio St: Add Santoro (BGSU), lose Sierra Calhoun

TexTech: lose Bright (LaTech), Whilby (Purdue)

OreSt: lose Kalmer (SDiego St)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Finding a category in which Rutgers is a top 5 finisher. That's impressive!

Reaction Score
Update: 40 of 65 P5 teams (62%) have had a change to their 2018-19 roster in the past 7 weeks

including 9 of 12 from PAC & 7/10 from B12

BEST
  1. Baylor: Add Chloe Jackson (LSU) & lose Natalie Chou
  2. Lousville: Add Yacine Diop (Pitt) & lose Zambrotta
  3. Texas: Add Danni Williams (TAMU) & lose Boothe (JUCO), Caron-G (Canada)
  4. Ohio St: Add Santoro (BGSU), Miller (LaSalle), Abshaw (CleveSt), Queeland (Pacific) & lose Sierra Calhoun
  5. Rutgers: Add Charise Wilson (URI) & lose Desiree Keeling (NC Cen)
  6. Michigan: add Rooks (Harvard) & lose Peace (Hou)

WORST
  2. Ole Miss: lose 8 transfers & add Crystal Allen (UTArl), Salter (Jax)
  5. TAMU: Add Aja Ellison (Maryland) & lose Danni Williams (Tex), Nichols (Fla), Howard

OTHERS

Okla St: lose Combs (EMich)
TexTech: lose Bright (LaTech), Whilby (Purdue), Caldwell

Utah: add Porter (UCSB), lose Jacobs (Col St) & Williams (Col St)

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Update: 40 of 65 P5 teams have had a change to their 2018-19 roster in the past 7 weeks

including 9 of 12 from PAC & 7/10 from B12

BEST
  4. Ohio St: Add Santoro (BGSU), Miller (LaSalle), Abshaw (CleveSt), Queeland (Pacific) & lose Sierra Calhoun

WORST
  2. Ole Miss: lose 8 transfers & add Crystal Allen (UTArl), Salter (Jax)
  5. TAMU: Add Aja Ellison (Maryland) & lose Danni Williams (Tex), Nichols (Fla), Howard

OTHERS

The sheer volume of transfers is high, but the number of impact players leaving is lower than we've seen in previous years. Granted, there's still a solid 5+ months of off season to go. The only big impact transfers I see are Williams, Howard and Jackson. Maybe Natalie Chou in the right setting, although I think her HS ranking was a bit overhyped.
2017 off season: Beatrice Mompremier, Erin Boley, Destiny Slocum, Jess Shepard, Lili Thompson, Te'a Cooper, Tori McCoy
2016 off season: Jatarie White, Azura Stevens, Taya Reimer (probably others I'm missing)
2015 off season: Recee Caldwell, Stephanie Mavunga, Alisha Gray, Kaela Davis, Linnea Harper, Jessica Washington, Lexie Brown

I'm sure I'm missing some players, but all of the above were highly touted recruits or expected to be impact players in college.

Reaction Score
The sheer volume of transfers is high, but the number of impact players leaving is lower than we've seen in previous years.

But seems? like a lot more grad transfers this year. Most of the players you cited were regular sit-out transfers.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
But seems? like a lot more grad transfers this year. Most of the players you cited were regular sit-out transfers.

True. Grad transfers seem to be on the rise more than ever. Seems like most are either:
1. Seldom used players on good teams who want to play more their last year (ala Natalie Butler)

Or

2. Standouts on okay teams wanting to compete for a title (ala Stevens/Jess Shepard)

I’m guessing we’ll see this trend continue, especially since basketball players typically enroll the summer before fall semester and take classes over the summer. Players have a clearer path to graduate early and then have free reign on where they’d like to transfer their last year.

The first noteable grad transfer I can think of was Taya Reimer just a few years ago. Anyone know of other big name grad transfers before Taya?

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Newfrontier, while I have some respect for what Graves has done at UO, I'm not a fan of the university overall. My parents and several uncles and cousins went to Oregon St., so that right there makes it difficult to root for UO. Then there's the whole Nike flagship and Uncle Phil angle. And nouveau riche fans are always charming. That takes a special kind of delusion to deny that Knight's generous backing has had anything to do w/ the overall large scale uptick in the general state of their athletics department and performance of various sports programs.

As (I think) the only Oregon WBB fan on this board (albeit also someone born and bred in CT and so a Husky fan long before I arrived on the left coast), let me say a couple of things. First, only the most delusional UO fan would deny that Knight's money has made a major difference, especially in football and men's basketball. In fact that's part of the accepted lore here, beginning with "Uncle Phil" (the preferred title on message boards) asking a football coach in the early 90s what it would take facilities-wise to build on a trip to the Rose Bowl. If anything, the basic assumption among the true believers--as regards football and men's basketball, anyway--is that Nike money can solve all.

But throwing a lot of money around is not the same as hiring good coaches: the ongoing fiasco called Oregon baseball is a case in point, as was the hiring by a previous athletic director of his "big name" crony (Paul Westhead), whose contract even specified that he only had to be in Eugene for five months of the year. (This was the same athletic director/donor who decided that hiring, and overpaying, a well-known baseball coach who had been successful at Cal Fullerton would be enough to justify pouring money down that drain.) Knight has not, as far as I know, shown very much interest in women's sports (women's track has been very good here for a very long time), and the recent successful hires in softball and wbb are mostly the doing of the current athletic director, with the former, especially, at a discount.

As for Graves and overachieving--I think his tenure at Gonszaga has to be included here, although what he has done at Oregon (and how quickly he has done it) is enough for me, especially after watching the abysmal teams of his two predecessors. (The Ducks actually were a very solid wbb team in the late 90s and early years of this century.) He is, after all, the only coach to have led two different double-digit seeds to the elite 8, and his Oregon teams have made 2 elite 8's in a row since his arrival in Eugene for the 2014-15 season, and that with teams dominated by (for the first) freshmen and then (for the second) sophomores. Most expect he will also have very strong teams this year and next. Of course he doesn't have Rueck's record; he's only been around for a short time. But he's doing pretty well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
jonson let me clarify that I was not meaning to disparage you as a Duck fan, I've enjoyed interactions w/ you on this board. Probably the nouveau riche fandom is mostly applicable to football.

Reaction Score
Update: 40 of 65 P5 teams (62%) have had a change to their 2018-19 roster in the past 7 weeks

9 of 12 from PAC, 7/10 from B12, 9/14 from SEC, 8/14 from B10, 7/15 from ACC

BEST

WORST
  2. Ole Miss: lose Alston(SJohns), Gibson(Ala), Hatcher(NAIA), Johnson, Muhammad(UNC), Nixon, Rodgers(Troy), Taylor (MissSt) & add Crystal Allen (UTArl), Salter (Jax), Turner (Xavier/Cleve St)
  3. Wash St: lose Brown (Tenn), Fernandez (D2), McClure (NMex), Shelley (D2), Washington
  4. LSU: lose top player Chloe Jackson (Bay), Neubert (Col St), Patterson

OTHERS

SCar: Add Nelly Perry (Clemson) & Lose Patrick (NoFla)
Bama: lose Ruffin

Illinois: lose Kinslow (LB St), Moore (Cinci), Walker
Penn St: lose Boykin (WV)
Purdue: Gray (D2), Lawson

VaTech: lose Akoro (SEMo), DaRosa, Hicks, Votaw (JUCO)
Syr: lose Oppenheimer (JMU)

Utah: add Porter (UCSB) & lose Jacobs (Col St), Williams (Col St)
USC: add Wallace (Loy Marym) & lose Abejon (Manh)
Wash: lose Collier

Reaction Score

9 of 12 from PAC, 7/10 from B12, 9/14 from SEC, 8/14 from B10, 7/15 from ACC

* = started >1/2 games or avg 20+ mpg

BEST
  1. Baylor: Add Chloe Jackson (LSU) & lose Natalie Chou*
  4. Ohio St: Add Santoro (BGSU), Miller (LaSalle), Grande (Ball St), Abshaw (CleveSt), Queeland (Pacific) & lose Sierra Calhoun*

WORST
  1. UConn: lose Azura Stevens* (WNBA)
  2. Ole Miss: lose Alston*(SJohns), Gibson*(Ala), Hatcher(NAIA), Johnson, Muhammad*(UNC), Nixon*, Rodgers(Troy), Taylor* (MissSt) & add Crystal Allen (UTArl), Salter (Jax), Turner (Xavier/Cleve St)
  3. Wash St: lose Brown* (Tenn), Fernandez (D2), McClure* (NMex), Shelley (D2), Washington
  4. TexTech: lose Bright* (LaTech), Whilby* (Purdue), Caldwell*
  5. LSU: lose top player Chloe Jackson* (Bay), Neubert (Col St), Patterson (JUCO)
  6. TAMU: Add Aja Ellison (Maryland) & lose D Williams* (Tex), Nichols (Fla), Howard*

OTHERS

Vandy: lose Overbeck* (USC), Whalen (Dayt), Warren, Ejiofor (JUCO)
Kentucky: lose Cann* (NAIA)

Penn St: lose Boykin* (WV)
Purdue: Gray (D2), Lawson

Okla St: lose Combs* (EMich)
TCU: lose Christian (Nev), Ramirez*

VaTech: lose Akoro (SEMo), DaRosa, Hicks*, Votaw (JUCO)
Clem: lose Alexander* (Butler), Perry* (SoCar), Fields
Pitt: lose Diop* (Lou)

ASU: lose Haines*
Ore: lose McGwire* (Boise), Maley (TCU), Campisano (CalPoly)
Utah: add Porter (UCSB) & lose Jacobs (Col St), Williams* (Col St)
USC: add Wallace (Loy Marym) & lose Abejon (Manh)
Wash: lose Collier*

DeP: lose Cage (Miss), McLimore (IUPUI), McMahon (D2), Sherrod (No Ill)

Reaction Score
Update: 41 of 65 P5 teams (63%) have had a change to their 2018-19 roster in the past 2 mths

9 of 12 from PAC, 10/14 from SEC, 7/10 from B12, 8/14 from B10, 7/15 from ACC

^ = starter for nonP5 team

BEST
  1. Baylor: Add Chloe Jackson (LSU) & lose Natalie Chou*
  4. Ohio St: Add Santoro^ (BGSU), Miller^ (LaSalle), Grande^ (Ball St), Abshaw^ (CleveSt), Queenland^ (Pacific) & lose Sierra Calhoun*
  5. Rutgers: Add Charise Wilson^ (URI) & lose Desiree Keeling (NC Cen), Hill
  6. Michigan: add Rooks^ (Harvard) & lose Peace (Hou)
  7. USC: add Wallace^ (Loy Marym) & lose Abejon (Manh)

WORST
  2. Ole Miss: lose Alston*(SJohns), Gibson*(Ala), Muhammad*(UNC), Nixon*, Taylor* (MissSt), Hatcher(NAIA), Johnson, Rodgers(Troy) &
    add Crystal Allen^ (UTArl), Salter (Jax), Turner^ (Xavier/Cleve St)
  3. TexTech: lose Bright* (LaTech), Whilby* (Purdue), Caldwell*
  4. Wash St: lose Brown* (Tenn), Fernandez (D2), McClure* (NMex), Shelley (D2), Washington
  5. LSU: lose top player Chloe Jackson* (Bay), Neubert (Col St), Patterson (JUCO)
  6. TAMU: Add Aja Ellison (Maryland) & lose D Williams* (Tex), Nichols (Fla), Howard*
  7. Mizzou: lose Cierra Porter* (retire)

OTHERS

Purdue: lose Gray (D2), Lawson

VaTech: lose Akoro (SEMo), DaRosa, Hicks*, Votaw (JUCO)

ASU: lose Haines*
Utah: add Porter^ (UCSB) & lose Jacobs (Col St), Williams* (Col St)

Reaction Score
41 of 65 P5 teams (63%) have had a change to their 2018-19 roster in the past 2.5 mths

9 of 12 from PAC, 10/14 from SEC, 7/10 from B12, 8/14 from B10, 7/15 from ACC

BEST
  1. Baylor: Add Chloe Jackson (LSU) & lose Natalie Chou* (UCLA)
  2. Lousville: Add Yacine Diop (Pitt) & lose Zambrotta (GW)
  3. Texas: Add Danni Williams (TAMU) & lose Boothe (JUCO), Caron-G (Canada), Hosey
  4. Ohio St: Add Santoro^ (BGSU), Miller^ (LaSalle), Grande^ (Ball St), Abshaw^ (CleveSt), Queenland^ (Pacific) & lose Sierra Calhoun*

WORST
  2. Ole Miss: lose Alston*(SJohns), Gibson*(Ala), Muhammad*(UNC), Nixon*, Taylor* (MissSt), Hatcher(NAIA), Johnson, Rodgers(Troy) &
  4. Wash St: lose Brown* (Tenn), Fernandez (D2), McClure* (NMex), Shelley (D2), Washington

OTHERS

Florida: lose Hayes (Clemson), Thomas (LSU), Johnson, Searcy

Illinois: add Shewan (Quinn), Waleski (late sign) & lose Kinslow (LB St), Moore (Cinci), Walker

VaTech: lose Akoro (SEMo), DaRosa (SetonH), Hicks*, Votaw (JUCO)

ASU: lose Haines* (Kentucky)
Wash: lose Collier*, Castro

Last edited:
Reaction Score
42 of 65 P5 teams (65%) have had a change to their 2018-19 roster since Apr 1

9 of 12 from PAC, 10/14 from SEC, 7/10 from B12, 9/14 from B10, 7/15 from ACC

BEST
  3. Texas: Add Danni Williams (TAMU) & lose Boothe (JUCO), Caron-G (Canada), Hosey

WORST
  2. Ole Miss: lose Alston*(SJohns), Gibson*(Ala), Muhammad*(UNC), Nixon*, Taylor* (MissSt), Hatcher(NAIA), Johnson (SetonH), Rodgers(Troy) &
  4. Wash St: lose Brown* (Tenn), Fernandez (D2), McClure* (NMex), Shelley (D2), Washington (UCSB)

OTHERS

Illinois: add Shewan (Quinn), Waleski (late sign) & lose Kinslow (LB St), Moore (Cinci), Walker
Nebraska: add Hudson^ (FIU)

Syr: lose Oppenheimer (JMU), Elmore

Last edited:
Reaction Score
42 of 65 P5 teams (65%) have had a change to their 2018-19 roster since Apr 1

9 of 12 from PAC, 10/14 from SEC, 7/10 from B12, 9/14 from B10, 7/15 from ACC

BEST

WORST
  2. Ole Miss: lose Alston*(SJohns), Gibson*(Ala), Muhammad*(UNC), Nixon*, Taylor* (MissSt), Hatcher(NAIA), Johnson (SetonH), Rodgers(Troy) &
    add Crystal Allen^ (UTArl), Salter (Jax), Turner^ (Xavier/Cleve St), Dozier (JUCO), Dunlap (JUCO/UNC)
  4. Wash St: lose Brown* (Tenn), Fernandez (D2), McClure* (NMex), Shelley (D2), Washington (UCSB)

OTHERS

Nebraska: add Hudson^ (FIU) & lose Washington/Blackburn/Stallworth (retired)

TCU: lose Christian (Nev), Ramirez* (Ark)
W Va: lose Ashley Jones (Temple), Harden (Miami)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
43 of 65 P5 teams (66%) have had a change to their 2018-19 roster since Apr 1

10 of 12 from PAC, 10/14 from SEC, 7/10 from B12, 9/14 from B10, 7/15 from ACC

BEST

WORST
    add Crystal Allen^ (UTArl), Salter (Jax), Turner^ (Xavier/Cleve St), Dozier (JUCO), Dunlap (JUCO/UNC)
  3. TexTech: lose Bright* (LaTech), Whilby* (Purdue), Caldwell* (Cal)

OTHERS

Cal: add Caldwell* (TexTech)

Reaction Score
43 of 65 P5 teams (66%) have had a change to their 2018-19 roster since Apr 1

10 of 12 from PAC, 10/14 from SEC, 7/10 from B12, 9/14 from B10, 7/15 from ACC

BEST

WORST

OTHERS

Purdue: lose Gray (D2), Lawson (UVa)

Syr: lose Oppenheimer (JMU), Elmore (SetonH)

Col: lose Freeman (GMason), Castro

Reaction Score
44 of 65 P5 teams (66%) have had a change to their 2018-19 roster since Apr 1

10 of 12 from PAC, 10/14 from SEC, 7/10 from B12, 9/14 from B10, 8/15 from ACC

BEST

WORST

OTHERS

Florida: lose Hayes (Clemson), Thomas (LSU), Johnson, Searcy (Morgan St)

UNC: lose Powell

Last edited:
Reaction Score
12 P5 players have yet to announce a destination

44 of 65 P5 teams (66%) have had a change to their 2018-19 roster since Apr 1

10 of 12 from PAC, 10/14 from SEC, 7/10 from B12, 9/14 from B10, 8/15 from ACC

BEST
  5. Rutgers: Add Charise Wilson^ (URI) & lose Desiree Keeling (NC Cen), Hill (LaSalle)

WORST

OTHERS

Florida: lose Hayes (Clemson), Thomas (LSU), Johnson, Searcy (Morgan St)

UNC: lose Powell

Wash: lose Collier* (Drake)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom