Who has had the best off-season so far? | The Boneyard

Who has had the best off-season so far?

Reaction Score
Since the end of this year ...
In terms of the 2018-19 season, who has the best news so far in terms of transfers, injuries, that affect next year.

To be clear I'm only thinking about the impact on 2018-19.

BEST
  1. Baylor: Add Chloe Jackson (LSU), lose Natalie Chou
  2. Lousville: Add Yacine Diop (Pitt), lose Zambrotta
  3. W Virginia: Add Cuevas (SCar), lose Ashley Jones (Temple)
  4. Texas: Add Danni Williams (TAMU), lose Boothe (JUCO) & Caron-G (Canada)
  5. Rutgers: Add Charise Wilson (URI), lose Desiree Keeling (NC Cen)

WORST
  1. UConn: lose Azura Stevens (WNBA)
  2. Ole Miss: lose 8 transfers, add Crystal Allen (UTArl)
  3. Wash St: lose 5 transfers
  4. LSU: lose 3 transfers incl top player Chloe Jackson
  5. TAMU: Add Aja Ellison (Maryland), lose Danni Williams (Tex), Nichols (Fla), Howard

OTHERS

SCar: Add Nelly Perry (Clemson), lose Cuevas (WVa) & Patrick (NFl)
Florida: lose 3 transfers
Illinois: lose 3 transfers
Maryland: lose Aja Ellison (TAMU)
NC St: lose Nae Nae Cole (Kentucky)
Ohio St: Add (BGSU), lose Sierra Calhoun
Oregon: lose 3 transfers
Vandy: lose 3 transfers
VaTech: lose 4 transfers​

I'm sure I'm missing some and have my rankings messed up. Just to get things going.
Reminder this is only for 2018-19 so transfers that dont play next year are not included (eg D Boykin, etc)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There are EIGHT schools losing between 3 and 8 transfers each. Are there problems in some places??

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
In terms of the 2018-19 season, who has the best news so far in terms of transfers, injuries, that affect next year.

To be clear I'm only thinking about the impact on 2018-19.

BEST
  1. Baylor: Add Chloe Jackson (LSU), lose Natalie Chou
  2. Lousville: Add Yacine Diop (Pitt), lose Zambrotta
  3. W Virginia: Add Cuevas (SCar), lose Ashley Jones (Temple)
  4. Texas: Add Danni Williams (TAMU), lose Boothe (JUCO) & Caron-G (Canada)
  5. Rutgers: Add Charise Wilson (URI), lose Desiree Keeling (NC Cen)

WORST
  1. UConn: lose Azura Stevens (WNBA)
  2. Ole Miss: lose 8 transfers, add Crystal Allen (UTArl)
  3. Wash St: lose 5 transfers
  4. LSU: lose 3 transfers incl top player Chloe Jackson
  5. TAMU: Add Aja Ellison (Maryland), lose Danni Williams (Tex), Nichols (Fla), Howard

OTHERS

SCar: Add Nelly Perry (Clemson), lose Cuevas (WVa) & Patrick (NFl)
Maryland: lose Aja Ellison (TAMU)
NC St: lose Nae Nae Cole (Kentucky)
Ohio St: Add (BGSU), lose Sierra Calhoun

I'm sure I'm missing some and have my rankings messed up. Just to get things going.
Reminder this is only for 2018-19 so transfers that dont play next year are not included (eg D Boykin, etc)

A&M is definitely the biggest loser so far since they'll lose Howard too. UCONN losing Stevens is huge too. Not sure Texas or Baylor is really coming out ahead in these situations since they only get the players for 1 year and I think it likely creates disgruntled players who thought they'd get more PT in the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Not sure Texas or Baylor is really coming out ahead in these situations since they only get the players for 1 year and I think it likely creates disgruntled players who thought they'd get more PT in the upcoming season.

But I'm solely looking at impact on next year so 1 season is all that matters. In both cases I think it fills a need, so it's helpful. And there just aren't that many grad transfers so the few teams that get one are doing better than the rest.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
But I'm solely looking at impact on next year so 1 season is all that matters. In both cases I think it fills a need, so it's helpful. And there just aren't that many grad transfers so the few teams that get one are doing better than the rest.

Are you considering transfers that will have completed sitting out a year in 2017-18 and will eligible to play in 2018-19?
Also, are you including players who are coming back from injuries?

In some cases, these developments might've had some impact on the the other transactions (Boley at Oregon).
Here goes with a few that I think will have an impact on their respective teams:

- Notre Dame: Centers Brianna Turner and Mik Vaughn return from knee injuries.
and
then there are transfers who are now eligible:
- Georgia: Center Jen Staiti (Maryland) is eligible
- Indiana: Guard Ali Patberg (ND) and forward Brenna Wise (Pitt) are eligible
- Louisville: Redshirt Freshman Center Loretta Kakala is eligible, adding depth to the frontcourt
- Miami U: Transfer Center Beatrice Mompremier (Baylor) is eligible and point guard Laura Cornelius returns from injury
- Oregon: Soph. forward Erin Boley (ND) is eligible
- Oregon State: Point Guard Destiny Slocum (Maryland) is ready to play
- South Carolina: Guard Te'a Cooper (TN) is ready to play
- Texas A&M: Center Ciera Johnson (Louisville) is eligible.
- Vanderbilt: Forward Mariella Fasoula (Greece-Boston College) is eligble
- West Virginia: Also adds guard Kyrse Gondrezick (Michigan) who is now eligible to play

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dillon, you gotta add Destiny Slocum being eligible at Oregon St. to your list of transfers that sat out a year, might have the biggest impact of any transfer.

Hah! This is like six degrees of separation...the more schools I add, the more I think of.
Thanks.... I just thought of Destiny when I cut and pasted Oregon to its proper alphabetical listing and you put a super exclamation point on it. Yes, she'll have a huge impact on that team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you considering transfers that will have completed sitting out a year in 2017-18 and will eligible to play in 2018-19?

My thought was "what has changed since April 1?"

So no I'm not considering transfers from last year or players returning from injury -- we already knew about those things.

Reaction Score
A&M is definitely the biggest loser so far since they'll lose Howard too. UCONN losing Stevens is huge too. Not sure Texas or Baylor is really coming out ahead in these situations since they only get the players for 1 year and I think it likely creates disgruntled players who thought they'd get more PT in the upcoming season.

1 year is all you need to win a championship.... Both are loaded and added a quality player where they are weak.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
My thought was "what has changed since April 1?"

So no I'm not considering transfers from last year or players returning from injury -- we already knew about those things.

Vowelguy... it's your idea and thread (and I'm not trying to hijack it) but:
- I'm not sure everyone knows about all those things. After all, most of these transfers took place a year ago and maybe a bit of refresher isn't such a bad idea. And even if we all did, it sometimes helps to see them in one place (in this case thread)....
- In part, because I'm not sure some additions/deletions since April 1st sometimes mean as much without looking at the sum of the other incoming and out-going parts. Oregon comes to mind in that respect.

In any case, I'll not add any more transfers or folks back from injury (but did you really remember Laura Cornelius ;)), the exercise helped me on a number of fronts. Thanks for thinking of it! :cool:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
You're a heartbreaker, thread-hijacker, don't you mess around with me.

Aw, c'mon..."hit me with your best shot.":D

Amazingly, after not having thought about Ms. Benatar for quite some time, this is the second time in one day, I've either volunteered a song lyric of hers or had one quoted to me. Must be a very slow week....:rolleyes:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Also, are you including players who are coming back from injuries?

In some cases, these developments might've had some impact on the the other transactions (Boley at Oregon).
Here goes with a few that I think will have an impact on their respective teams:

- Notre Dame: Centers Brianna Turner and Mik Vaughn return from knee injuries.
and
then there are transfers who are now eligible:
- Georgia: Center Jen Staiti (Maryland) is eligible
- Indiana: Guard Ali Patberg (ND) and forward Brenna Wise (Pitt) are eligible
- Louisville: Redshirt Freshman Center Loretta Kakala is eligible, adding depth to the frontcourt
- Miami U: Transfer Center Beatrice Mompremier (Baylor) is eligible and point guard Laura Cornelius returns from injury
- Oregon: Soph. forward Erin Boley (ND) is eligible
- Oregon State: Point Guard Destiny Slocum (Maryland) is ready to play
- South Carolina: Guard Te'a Cooper (TN) is ready to play
- Texas A&M: Center Ciera Johnson (Louisville) is eligible.
- Vanderbilt: Forward Mariella Fasoula (Greece-Boston College) is eligble
- West Virginia: Also adds guard Kyrse Gondrezick (Michigan) who is now eligible to play

Slocum, Turner and Boley will all make their teams far better this upcoming season IMO. All of those players are playing for coaches who consistently overachieve too.

If you're looking at 1 year impact then both Baylor and Texas are doing well. Both teams are as loaded with talent as anyone, it mainly comes down to coaching IMO. That said, the Baylor/Texas battles should be thoroughly entertaining next year.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Rutgers also got a sharpshooter from Israel, Guirantes will play this year after sitting out last year, and bring in Broughton who was Alabama’s miss basketball. So pretty good recruiting year, should be deeper than last year.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Outside of adding in the name of Carly Santoro, the 5-10 JR guard, Bellevue, OH / Bowling Green (grad xfer), who is headed to Ohio State, Vowelguy pretty much nailed the grad transfers, based on this latest update. I also included it because it has has names of other transfers to P5 schools (who will presumably have to sit out a year).
Power 5 Transfer Additions

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
WORST
Ole Miss: lose 8 transfers, add Crystal Allen (UTArl)
Wash St: lose 5 transfers
LSU: lose 3 transfers incl top player Chloe Jackson
TAMU: Add Aja Ellison (Maryland), lose Danni Williams (Tex), Nichols (Fla), Howard

OTHERS

There are EIGHT schools losing between 3 and 8 transfers each. Are there problems in some places??

You can add DePaul to the list now, with four transfers:

DePaul WBB has now had four players transfer out this off-season: two freshmen (Rachel McLimore and Vinisha Sherrod) and two sophomores (Deja Cage and Claire McMahon)

Reaction Score

You can add DePaul to the list now, with four transfers:

DePaul WBB has now had four players transfer out this off-season: two freshmen (Rachel McLimore and Vinisha Sherrod) and two sophomores (Deja Cage and Claire McMahon)

We have a log jam at both guard positions. We really need post players. This didn’t surprise me. On top of that, I have a feeling Rebekah Dahlman will be granted a sixth year of elegibility.

Reaction Score
A&M should also add Aaliyah Wilson from Arkansas, she could help make up the loss of Williams.

Reaction Score
Slocum, Turner and Boley will all make their teams far better this upcoming season IMO. All of those players are playing for coaches who consistently overachieve too.

If you're looking at 1 year impact then both Baylor and Texas are doing well. Both teams are as loaded with talent as anyone, it mainly comes down to coaching IMO. That said, the Baylor/Texas battles should be thoroughly entertaining next year.

Slocum will definitely play for a coach who consistently overachieves (Rueck), but how is Turner playing for a coach (McGraw) who overachieves when ND typically has top 5 recruiting classes year in and year out? As for Boley playing for coach Graves...yes Graves did overachieve some at Gonzaga, but taking Oregon to an elite 8 a couple times is not exactly overachieving when it is accomplished with a top 2 or top 3 recruiting class.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Slocum will definitely play for a coach who consistently overachieves (Rueck), but how is Turner playing for a coach (McGraw) who overachieves when ND typically has top 5 recruiting classes year in and year out? As for Boley playing for coach Graves...yes Graves did overachieve some at Gonzaga, but taking Oregon to an elite 8 a couple times is not exactly overachieving when it is accomplished with a top 2 or top 3 recruiting class.

McGraw has played in 5 of the last 8 title games and 6 of the last 8 final fours. They’ve also earned 7 straight #1 seeds. Preseason rankings during those 8 years were #12, #2, #7, #6, #3, #3, #1, #6. By that logic, you’d expect 4 Final Fours, 4 number 1 seeds. 1 title, and 2 runner up games. They also just won the title after losing 4 players to ACLs and beat three incredibly good teams to finish the year. During this same stretch by comparison, Baylor has just 1 Final Four, Texas/Duke/Tennessee with zero, South Carolina with 2, Stanford with 4, Maryland with 2, etc. They’ve never had a number one recruiting class or a #1 recruit. The only #2 recruit they’ve had is Turner who has been injured every season so far.

Oregon had no business making the elite 8 their first year, heck they barely made the tournament and then went on a huge run led by their freshmen. They also were preseason #11 this year and were somewhat of a wildcard preseason considering no one knew if they’d be able to play consistently. They finished the year #5 and gave the eventual champion a good run in the Elite 8. Also won the PAC regular season and tourney over Stanford and UCLA, two teams both ranked ahead of them in preseason. It’s still early to call Graves a consistent overachiever, but he has done a fantastic job so far in his limited time there.

Reaction Score
McGraw has played in 5 of the last 8 title games and 6 of the last 8 final fours. They’ve also earned 7 straight #1 seeds. Preseason rankings during those 8 years were #12, #2, #7, #6, #3, #3, #1, #6. By that logic, you’d expect 4 Final Fours, 4 number 1 seeds. 1 title, and 2 runner up games. They also just won the title after losing 4 players to ACLs and beat three incredibly good teams to finish the year. During this same stretch by comparison, Baylor has just 1 Final Four, Texas/Duke/Tennessee with zero, South Carolina with 2, Stanford with 4, Maryland with 2, etc. They’ve never had a number one recruiting class or a #1 recruit. The only #2 recruit they’ve had is Turner who has been injured every season so far.

Oregon had no business making the elite 8 their first year, heck they barely made the tournament and then went on a huge run led by their freshmen. They also were preseason #11 this year and were somewhat of a wildcard preseason considering no one knew if they’d be able to play consistently. They finished the year #5 and gave the eventual champion a good run in the Elite 8. Also won the PAC regular season and tourney over Stanford and UCLA, two teams both ranked ahead of them in preseason. It’s still early to call Graves a consistent overachiever, but he has done a fantastic job so far in his limited time there.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree. Notre Dame led by McGraw is and has been an elite national program with elite teams for years and is performing like an elite national team. That is not overachieving in my book.

Oregon and Graves definitely overachieved in 2017-2018 by making the elite 8. They surprised no one this past year by making the elite 8 again. Oregon was picked to finish second in the Pac-12 this past season, and they finished first. Wooptie-doo. I would credit this to UCLA, the preseason first place selection, for underachieving more so than Oregon for overachieving. Ditto for the Pac-12 tournament. Overachieving 1 year (2016-2017) out of 4 does not make a team a "consistent" overachiever.

Now Rueck and Oregon State....they are the DEFINITION of consistent overachiever. The program was literally DEAD in the water 8 years ago. Things were so bad that the university was seriously considering dumping women's basketball entirely (permanently). He had one scholarship player on the team when he started, and had to hold open tryouts just field a team. He has more than just resurrected the team, but has taken it well beyond where it has ever been in the past.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon was terrible when Graves took over and overall have very limited success in women's hoops. He's built them from the ground up. I'm not sure how you'd measure his first few years there. Not that they overachieved, but the expectation level had to be fairly low.

Reaction Score
Oregon was terrible when Graves took over and overall have very limited success in women's hoops. He's built them from the ground up. I'm not sure how you'd measure his first few years there. Not that they overachieved, but the expectation level had to be fairly low.

Graves has definitely turned Oregon around...kudos to him, but is it nothing compared to what Rueck has done at Oregon State (see my last paragraph I added to my previous post)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Oregon had done an incredible job hiring head coaches in women's hoops, softball, T&F, and volleyball (well, I'll give Jim Moore credit for his coaching ability, but not player treatment). They have reached very high levels in those sports recently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom