Who guards Sabrina? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who guards Sabrina?

Reaction Score
That's only if you believe Oregon's listed roster heights, which I take with a grain of salt, i.e. there's no way Ruthy Hebard is 6'4". Aside from the size difference, my point is that Crystal is quick enough to faceguard Ionescu, keeping the ball out of her hands to some degree. It largely worked last year in the regional finals against Durr, at least for a half.

I don't know the answer to who guards her - but "deny her the ball" - I'm sure her whole career teams have tried that. I haven't watched Oregon play much but SI is much stronger and wider than Danger (and DUrr so she'll be able to get the ball more if Oregon wants it vs just Danger guarding her.). Maybe multpile players deny her-- not sure though it can be done consistently. Not arguing. You and others have seen Oregon much, much more than I. :)

But what do you think happens if Danger is guarding her and Ionescu can get Danger picked off on the pick-and roll? Danger "guarding" a rolling Hebard? That's mostly doom/ terrible matchup, isn't it? Louisville didn't have a Hebard, did they?

And if you deny, and get beat on the deny and Ionescu gets juts a half-step you have given Oregon/Ionescu a much better advantage than vs Louisville/Durr, haven't you?

I don't know. You could be right but my guess is multiple players/ different looks. Deny sometimes / don't deny etc. - see what works best as game goes on.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't know the answer to who guards her - but "deny her the ball" - I'm sure her whole career teams have tried that. I haven't watched Oregon play much but SI is much stronger and wider than Danger (and DUrr so she'll be able to get the ball more if Oregon wants it vs just Danger guarding her.). Maybe multpile players deny her-- not sure though it can be done consistently. Not arguing. You and others have seen Oregon much, much more than I. :)

But what do you think happens if Danger is guarding her and Ionescu can get Danger picked off on the pick-and roll? Danger "guarding" a rolling Hebard? That's mostly doom/ terrible matchup, isn't it? Louisville didn't have a Hebard, did they?

And if you deny, and get beat on the deny and Ionescu gets juts a half-step you have given Oregon/Ionescu a much better advantage than vs Louisville/Durr, haven't you?

I don't know. You could be right but my guess is multiple players/ different looks. Deny sometimes / don't deny etc. - see what works best as game goes on.
You’ll never be able to completely contain Ionescu. The idea is to make her work much harder for her points. Make her rush her shot, shoot a lower percentage, force her into a couple turnovers. Ultimately, this game may come down to a couple possessions, one way or the other, just like the Elite 8 game vs Louisville last season.

Reaction Score
You’ll never be able to completely contain Ionescu. The idea is to make her work much harder for her points. Make her rush her shot, shoot a lower percentage, force her into a couple turnovers. Ultimately, this game may come down to a couple possessions, one way or the other, just like the Elite 8 game vs Louisville last season.

That's why I like multiple players. How about a triangle and two on their two guards (Sabrina and Minyon?)? I just looked ta their stats. Both players have "sick" assist to turnover ratios. Let the other three try to make plays? Sabally isn't hitting her 3's. Boley not much of a passer. If she is missing, then our 4 guard offense at the other end will be tough to deal with. They are playing away from home so maybe they don't shoot as well?

Reaction Score

One of the reasons for a bigger girl such as Anna or Aubrey to guard Sabrina is if you have to switch on the pick and roll you would have someone with some size on Hebard. Having someone with size will make her have trouble getting her shot off as well. I want Sabrina to give it up to others besides Hebard. I rather she kick it to Moore, Sabally or Foley. Geno made Baylor guards beat them and they did. Let's see what he comes up with. I can't wait.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One of the reasons for a bigger girl such as Anna or Aubrey to guard Sabrina is if you have to switch on the pick and roll you would have someone with some size on Hebard. Having someone with size will make her have trouble getting her shot off as well. I want Sabrina to give it up to others besides Hebard. I rather she kick it to Moore, Sabally or Foley. Geno made Baylor guards beat them and they did. Let's see what he comes up with. I can't wait.
I think that a big argument for using someone bigger than Crystal to guard Sabrina is that it has the best chance of disrupting her court vision and thus her passing game. Those skills, rather than her direct scoring, are most likely to be a decisive factor in Monday night's game.

Reaction Score
End of one quarter in Boulder and CU is tied with Ionesco at 11-11. Unfortunately, Oregon has four other players who also insist on scoring (though the play-by-play guy said it looked like they had six on the floor.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
End of one quarter in Boulder and CU is tied with Ionesco at 11-11. Unfortunately, Oregon has four other players who also insist on scoring (though the play-by-play guy said it looked like they had six on the floor.

Sabrina on her way to a triple double. 17 pts, 6 rbs 6 assists after 1 half 52-22 (0 TO)

Hopefully, she is getting it out of her system.

Reaction Score
Well, Colorado tried to wear her out but instead she sat the entire fourth quarter—after racking up her 23rd career triple double. I said the only way to stop her was to tell her the game was being held at the XL Center. Bet if we got her to do that we could hold her to under 20 points.

Reaction Score
Well, Colorado tried to wear her out but instead she sat the entire fourth quarter—after racking up her 23rd career triple double. I said the only way to stop her was to tell her the game was being held at the XL Center. Bet if we got her to do that we could hold her to under 20 points.
One of the three big items for Sabrina's "unfinished business" included winning in Connecticut over UConn so I don't think she cared which arena. She got the first last Sunday winning in Corvallis, wher she hadn't won before. Let's see if she gets the second Monday. #3 is getting the National Championship. I know she'd love to get back at Baylor if she gets a chance, but one game at a time.

Reaction Score
One of the three big items for Sabrina's "unfinished business" included winning in Connecticut over UConn so I don't think she cared which arena. She got the first last Sunday winning in Corvallis, wher she hadn't won before. Let's see if she gets the second Monday. #3 is getting the National Championship. I know she'd love to get back at Baylor if she gets a chance, but one game at a time.
I am not saying Oregon is unbeatable because they have been. Oregon is talented but rigid. They actually play more like machines. Throw a wrench in their gear and they’re vulnerable. Colorado tried to play Oregon ball, instead of the Colorado ball they play in other games, and so Oregon knew what to expect. Disrupt their routine and they likely will collapse. I actually think our players line up very well against Sabrina. I would worry more more about Sabally and Hebard. UConn just might be the perfect foil. It may come down to cutting, Anna’s passing (she’s better than anyone on the Duck’s team). If the cutting is effective, it opensUConn’s three point attack.

Reaction Score
I am not saying Oregon is unbeatable because they have been. Oregon is talented but rigid. They actually play more like machines. Throw a wrench in their gear and they’re vulnerable. Colorado tried to play Oregon ball, instead of the Colorado ball they play in other games, and so Oregon knew what to expect. Disrupt their routine and they likely will collapse. I actually think our players line up very well against Sabrina. I would worry more more about Sabally and Hebard. UConn just might be the perfect foil. It may come down to cutting, Anna’s passing (she’s better than anyone on the Duck’s team). If the cutting is effective, it opensUConn’s three point attack.

Did you actually say Anna is a better passer than any Oregon player?

Reaction Score
Machines...did you watch today's game (or have you seen any Duck games). There is not much repetition on all the ways they score, pass, & defend, Sabrina;'s 13 assists today included some pretty incredible plays (full court passes, creative pick and rolls, precise breakaway passes for lay-ups, setting up her teamates for 3's, etc.). My favorite was assist #12 where she penetrated but was cut off and either tripped or was pushed so she fell but somehow kept her dribble and then sent a bullit pass from near to the basket to Taylor Chavez at the top of the key, who then swished a three. I have never seen a machine do that,

As for Anna being a better passer than anyone on the Duck's team, I was impressed with her skill against Team USA, considering she's a Freshman, but haven't watched her much (just ND, Tennessee, & Baylor). Still her 50 assists in 20 games does not seem as impressive as Sabrina's 188 in 33 games her Freshman year or Minyon Moore's 119 in 30 games her Freshman year. Of course they are seniors this year. and both players have more assist than Anna or any UConn player so far this year. Chrystal has 73 and is tops for UConn. Minyon has 87 and Sabrina has 181 so far this year....She just needs 27 to be the 5th woman's D1 player to have 1000 assists, something no UConn player has ever done.

I'd say their passing is pretty good, but we will see what Anna can do on Monday. Should be fun and you are correct the Ducks are beatable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's rich. Sabrina and her 973 career assists say hello. Moore isn't too shabby w/ 537. Makurat has 50 so far. :rolleyes: She does not project to catch up to either of them.
We are on the same page (and found the same stats). I thought I'd make Anna's compare with both Sabrina's and Minyon's Freshman years, Still I found the "machine" comment even more laughable.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's rich. Sabrina and her 973 career assists say hello. Moore isn't too shabby w/ 537. Makurat has 50 so far. :rolleyes: She does not project to catch up to either of them.
As a freshman. Sabrina is a grizzled veteran passing to two superior forwards. And I was referring to quality, not quantity. Quantity often depends on others. So, yeah, I watched both and I have total respect for Sabrina.

Reaction Score
Sabrina is a
Machines...did you watch today's game (or have you seen any Duck games). There is not much repetition on all the ways they score, pass, & defend, Sabrina;'s 13 assists today included some pretty incredible plays (full court passes, creative pick and rolls, precise breakaway passes for lay-ups, setting up her teamates for 3's, etc.). My favorite was assist #12 where she penetrated but was cut off and either tripped or was pushed so she fell but somehow kept her dribble and then sent a bullit pass from near to the basket to Taylor Chavez at the top of the key, who then swished a three. I have never a machine do that,

As for Anna being a better passer than anyone on the Duck's team, I was impressed with her skill against Team USA, considering she's a Freshman, but haven't watched her much (just ND, Tennessee, & Baylor). Still her 50 assists in 20 games does not seem as impressive as Sabrina's 188 in 33 games her Freshman year or Minyon Moore's 119 in 30 games her Frshman year. Of course they are seniors this year. and both players have more assist than Anna or any UConn player so far this year. Chrystal has 73 and is tops for UConn. Minyon has 87 and Sabrina has 181 so far this year....She just needs 27 to be the 5th woman's D1 player to have 1000 assists, something no UConn player has ever done.

I'd say their passing is pretty good, but we will see what Anna can do on Monday. Should be fun and you are correct the Ducks are beatable.
point guard.
We are on the same page (and found the same stats). I thought I'd make Anna's compare with both Sabrina's and Minyon's Freshman years, Still I found the "machine" comment even more laughable.
I have watched a dozen or so Oregon games. Machine is not a criticism. It is praise. They are a well coached team that plays a designed game with players well suited to their system. But it is not imaginative which is why they have two losses. And again, of course, Sabrina has more assists than Anna at their respective stages—Sabrina is a point guard and the primary responsibility of most point guards is to dish assists. Anna is not playing point.

Reaction Score
As a freshman. Sabrina is a grizzled veteran passing to two superior forwards. And I was referring to quality, not quantity. Quantity often depends on others. So, yeah, I watched both and I have total respect for Sabrina.

Well, if you’re talking just about quality, perhaps we should compare assist to turnover ratio for freshman years. Sabrina is still significantly better.

Reaction Score
Still confused. So as a Freshman, Anna has to pass to less talented/experienced front line players: Junior Wa;ker and Sophomore Ododa versus the "grizzled" Junior Sabally and Senior Hebard which I guess means those UConn players can't handle her quality passes vs Sabrina's simple passes driving her quantity of assists. Still Sabrina as a Freshman had to pass to 2 other frontline Freshman back then, Hebard & McGwire to get her 188 assists that Freshman year.

You are probably right, Sabrina is all about quantity not quality. Can't wait to watch those quality passes by Anna tomorrow so she can show how's she better than Sabrina.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

Don't have much to add to what @nwhoopfan, @NWHoopFan2, and @domerduck have said, except to ask: how exactly how does one distinguish a quality assist from a "non-quality"/"mediocre"/"not very remarkable" one? I also thought that all assists (quality or otherwise) depended on others.

Reaction Score
But it is not imaginative which is why they have two losses.
Their two losses were early in the season when they were too big for their britches because they had beaten Team USA. They always thought that Sabrina would bail them out if they got behind and they didn't focus on defense and playing hard the whole game. Starting with Stanford they've been on a mission. As for system coach, Graves is far less than most WBB coaches as he let's them play. He only calls timeouts when he's upset about their D.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not certain that Sabrina is the best player in college basketball but it is fair to say she is in the top three or four. But do believe that we have some players capable of at least slowing her down. Ana will have to sacrifice some of her shots but I think she has the makings of a great defender. Aubrey has the athletic ability but I'm not sure she is ready for a player of Sabrina's talent. Whoever it is going to be will have to focus on defense and that is going to take away some of their offensive ability but I think it will be worth it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Anna’s passing (she’s better than anyone on the Duck’s team).

This is really not aging well. Ionescu is putting on a clinic slicing and dicing the UConn defense with her passing, showing why she is the best PG in the country. Makurat has hit some 3's but her passing is not really on display.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom