Who guards Sabrina? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who guards Sabrina?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
6 inches
That's only if you believe Oregon's listed roster heights, which I take with a grain of salt, i.e. there's no way Ruthy Hebard is 6'4". Aside from the size difference, my point is that Crystal is quick enough to faceguard Ionescu, keeping the ball out of her hands to some degree. It largely worked last year in the regional finals against Durr, at least for a half.

Reaction Score
We have to lay off of Moore and Sabally and hopefully, they won't shoot over there averages on the 3 ball. Sabrina and Hebard play pick and roll as well as WBNA players. Layoff Sabally and double Hebard on the pick and rolls. Geno and Daly are great coaches can't wait to see what they cook up.

Reaction Score
I agree with what you are saying, but I don't believe Ania has the speed to do this. I think, therefore, it will be Crystal, in most cases. Working, primarily to deny her the ball and make everything difficult. Like a gnat in Sabrina's eye.

The reality is his: Sabrina is the best player in college basketball, and an experienced and poised senior. She will be the number one choice in the WNBA draft. And she has a great team to support her if she is double or triple teamed. No one can guard her. She can do it all. And always does. She is the best all around player in years. Might as well enjoy watching her, even though it will be at our expense this time.
While I think Anna’s speed matches Sabrina (watch her, she gets there because she knows where to go) and that the battle between the two would be one of court presence. Anna is a freshman but her court iq is by far the highest among Huskies. Ionesco is a senior. End of discussion. Sabrina will do her thing and Anna will grow immeasurably guarding her. We might lose that night but will insure the victories in the future.

Reaction Score
Your right if Crystal is guarding her they will run the pick and roll on whoever Liv is guarding. She doesn't jump out on the witch and Sabrina will take open jump shots. If she is on we will be in trouble. We have to give her different looks constantly
I hope you meant "switch" instead of "witch." ;):)

Reaction Score
Who guards Sabrina?
Salem, I guess.

CL2 you mean the new Sabrina (Netflix)!

1580509438441.png
1580509438441.png

Reaction Score
Shorter quick players like Crystal find that their speed does not work for them at the next level like it did in college. Taller, stronger and more savey players use their bodies to protect the ball. Sabrina has played at that next level since high school. To defend her requires a combination of height and quickness. I don't believe Uconn has anyone that fits that description. All in all if one has to choose between height and quickness, you are better off with height if that player has a modicum of BB savey. Uconn just has to hope that Sabrina has an off game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Shorter quick players like Crystal find that their speed does not work for them at the next level like it did in college. Taller, stronger and more savey players use their bodies to protect the ball. Sabrina has played at that next level since high school. To defend her requires a combination of height and quickness. I don't believe Uconn has anyone that fits that description. All in all if one has to choose between height and quickness, you are better off with height if that player has a modicum of BB savey. Uconn just has to hope that Sabrina has an off game.
That (the bolded sentence above) is a rather sweeping statement. I can easily think of successful point guards in the WNBA who are not significantly bigger than Crystal, such as the Sun's Courtney Williams (remember her from USF?) and Chicago's Courtney Vandersloot. Both play at or near all-star level in the W. There are probably others that I am forgetting.

Maybe you were referring only to defense, but as a Sun season ticket holder I have not noticed that Courtney Williams has any major defensive issues at the WNBA level either. I don't think that either Crystal or Courtney (or their respective coaches) measures their defensive success mainly by the number of steals that they get. It's more about whether they are able to stop penetration, alter shots, interfere with their opponent's court vision, and get a few rebounds against their opposing guard. So far this year, Crystal has been able to do all of those things. Nevertheless, I agree with you that it probably will work better if Crystal guards Minyon Moore and either Aubrey or Megan (or possibly Anna) guards Sabrina. Or, as others have suggested, maybe all three of them will get their turn. The goal isn't to shut Sabrina down, but to hold her to her scoring average and frustrate her court vision and playmaking.

This whole thread seems to me to have a pessimistic bias because it fails to consider the defensive problems that UConn will create for Oregon. Will they play a zone like they did in the game a few years ago, which they lost by nearly 40 points? I doubt it. But I don't think they have seen a guard pair like Crystal and Christyn yet this year. Sabrina will have to guard one of them, and she is not nearly as quick as either of them. I think that is going to be a problem for the Ducks.

In the front court, there is a similar issue. If you assume that Sabally is going to guard Olivia, then Hebard and Boley will have to guard Megan and Anna, and I think both of them are at a disadvantage in doing so, no matter which way they split the assignment. It's true that Megan, Anna, and Christyn (as well as Crystal) will have to hit their jump shots at their average rate (which they all failed to do against both Baylor and Tennessee, for reasons which remain unclear but probably relate to nerves), but I don't think Oregon will be able to stop any of these players from getting makeable shots. And who does Oregon have that is going to stop Aubrey if she plays like she did against Tennessee?

In short, I don't think that UConn's defensive dilemmas are any more vexing than Oregon's.

Reaction Score
My guess is crystal mostly, with Anna and potentially CW. Some switches once in a while with Aubrey.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
We have to lay off of Moore and Sabally and hopefully, they won't shoot over there averages on the 3 ball.

I can see backing off of Moore, but not Sabally. Satou has been a bit hot and cold but she's been scoring well lately. She's also been drawing a lot of fouls and getting to the FT line. She's right there w/ Ionescu and Hebard in terms of importance to UO. I can't see Geno opting to leave her open.

Reaction Score
In short, I don't think that UConn's defensive dilemmas are any more vexing than Oregon's.
Glad your kept that post short JoePgh... ;)

Have to agree I think we are all in for a good game. As to the OP I would like to see Anna on Sabrina if only for a portion of the game as I love her glue stick D.
Over all Geno has already experimented with a couple different zones this year so I am sure we may see one of those or a surprise! Should be a great chess game for the coaches. This depending on how the shots fall. Rim outs and lay ups still a problem for us.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
That (the bolded sentence above) is a rather sweeping statement. I can easily think of successful point guards in the WNBA who are not significantly bigger than Crystal, such as the Sun's Courtney Williams (remember her from USF?) and Chicago's Courtney Vandersloot. Both play at or near all-star level in the W. There are probably others that I am forgetting.

Maybe you were referring only to defense, but as a Sun season ticket holder I have not noticed that Courtney Williams has any major defensive issues at the WNBA level either. I don't think that either Crystal or Courtney (or their respective coaches) measures their defensive success mainly by the number of steals that they get. It's more about whether they are able to stop penetration, alter shots, interfere with their opponent's court vision, and get a few rebounds against their opposing guard. So far this year, Crystal has been able to do all of those things. Nevertheless, I agree with you that it probably will work better if Crystal guards Minyon Moore and either Aubrey or Megan (or possibly Anna) guards Sabrina. Or, as others have suggested, maybe all three of them will get their turn. The goal isn't to shut Sabrina down, but to hold her to her scoring average and frustrate her court vision and playmaking.

This whole thread seems to me to have a pessimistic bias because it fails to consider the defensive problems that UConn will create for Oregon. Will they play a zone like they did in the game a few years ago, which they lost by nearly 40 points? I doubt it. But I don't think they have seen a guard pair like Crystal and Christyn yet this year. Sabrina will have to guard one of them, and she is not nearly as quick as either of them. I think that is going to be a problem for the Ducks.

In the front court, there is a similar issue. If you assume that Sabally is going to guard Olivia, then Hebard and Boley will have to guard Megan and Anna, and I think both of them are at a disadvantage in doing so, no matter which way they split the assignment. It's true that Megan, Anna, and Christyn (as well as Crystal) will have to hit their jump shots at their average rate (which they all failed to do against both Baylor and Tennessee, for reasons which remain unclear but probably relate to nerves), but I don't think Oregon will be able to stop any of these players from getting makeable shots. And who does Oregon have that is going to stop Aubrey if she plays like she did against Tennessee?

A couple of points. First, as much as some folks like to mention the 40-point beat down of several years ago, it has absolutely no relevance to this game. That Oregon team started 3 freshmen, a sophomore, and a junior, had barely made the tourney on the strength of upsetting Washington in the Pac 12 tournament, and had already criss-crossed the country twice on the way to upsetting, as a double digit seed, the #7, #3,and #2 seeds in their bracket. UCONN was obviously a bridge (way) too far after a miraculous run like that.

Second, Hebard will likely cover Olivia, with Sabally on Makurat, at least initially, in order to (ideally) keep her out of foul trouble. That means Boley will probably start on Megan; how long she stays there will depend on whether her shooting makes up for her defense, which has improved but is still a work in progress; if not, then I think Graves will put Taylor Chavez on Megan and likely go, as he has quite often this year, with what seems to me Oregon's most effective lineup: Hebard, Sabally, Ionescu, and some combination of Moore, Chavez, and Shelley. In many ways, Moore's situation is the opposite of Boley's, with the key question being whether her activity on defense (she had 6 steals last night) makes up for the fact that UCONN will likely sag off her and clog the post when she has the ball.

As for Sabrina, I don't think face guarding has ever worked in her case, and she's faced guards in the Pac 12 who are, imo, as quick as Crystal. @willtalk is right: think Didi Richards. And there are also some really good guard pairs in the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
Crystal is a good defensive match-up on Ionescu. I don't think Ionescu is a good enoh ball player to break Crystal down.

I don't see Griffin in the guarding-Ionescu-mix as she is better suited to deal with Sabally on the perimeter. Also, Sabally is a board crasher which will play to Griffin's strength.

Reaction Score

Maybe you were referring only to defense, but as a Sun season ticket holder I have not noticed that Courtney Williams has any major defensive issues at the WNBA level either. .-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since the thread title is who will guard Sabrina- yes it is referring exclusively to defense. I also can name shorter guards in the WNBA who are decent to good defenders, but they are the exception. My statement was not a blanket statement in that respect, but to the fact that shorter fast guards will find that their speed will not work for them in the WNBA like, it did in college. Short guards who do alright are usually also very athletic and strong which mitigates the strength and height of the opposition to a degree. I can name many more guards who were considered elite defenders in college who have trouble defending at the next level. Of course, there is always a role for shorter quicker players to defend other shorter quicker players. But it is fare easier for a taller yet slower player to defend a shorter quicker player than the reverse. They can compensate via proper spacing and positioning whereas a shorter player can do nothing about defending a taller stronger and highly skilled player with handles. The fact that we are discussing who will defend Sabrina is an example of that.

And yes the mismatch on one end often becomes a mismatch in reverse on the other as well. But the discussion of this thread is focused on Uconns defensive side. Mainly because the major key to defeating Oregon is stopping what Sabrina does on offense. She does not have to guard the player who guards her.

Reaction Score
We need to mix it up on Sabrina, I’d say give her looks of Crystal and Aubrey if we can to show her some elite athleticism similar to DiDi Richards and last year’s Final Four game.

Let‘s be clear though, Graves is also pondering his defensive scheme as well. Oregon isn’t elite defensively whatsoever and they do not present the challenge we faced going against Baylor. He has a 3-headed snake of Crystal-Christyn-Megatron that he has to prepare for and has not had to deal with yet this season! Oregon State nor Stanford has a wing combo that compares to what we put on the floor.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon isn’t elite defensively whatsoever

It's probably better than you think. Allowing 57 ppg, opponents shooting .369 from the floor and .274 from 3. Those are solid numbers. Really similar to UConn's stats. And now that we are well into conference play you can't say UConn has been playing better teams.

Reaction Score
It's probably better than you think. Allowing 57 ppg, opponents shooting .369 from the floor and .274 from 3. Those are solid numbers. Really similar to UConn's stats. And now that we are well into conference play you can't say UConn has been playing better teams.

I hear you but I’d suffice to say Oregon isn’t on the level of South Carolina or even Baylor defensively. They’re known for putting the ball in the hoop and there’s nothing wrong with that. Personally, I prefer offensive excellence over a defensive game any day.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I hear you but I’d suffice to say Oregon isn’t on the level of South Carolina or even Baylor defensively. They’re known for putting the ball in the hoop and there’s nothing wrong with that. Personally, I prefer offensive excellence over a defensive game any day.

I'll give you that. Probably have to say UConn isn't a truly elite defensive team this year either.

Reaction Score
I'll give you that. Probably have to say UConn isn't a truly elite defensive team this year either.

AGREED. This isn’t the typical championship Connecticut defensive team. However, they have considerably better overall athletes than Oregon and an elite shot blocker in Nelson-Odada. Defense favors UConn in this matchup, IMO. Can’t wait until Monday night

Reaction Score
AGREED. This isn’t the typical championship Connecticut defensive team. However, they have considerably better overall athletes than Oregon and an elite shot blocker in Nelson-Odada. Defense favors UConn in this matchup, IMO. Can’t wait until Monday night
Liv’s shot blocks have come against inferior teams. I actually think this is quite possibly where we could get blown out. Maybe next year but this year she isn’t there yet. Hoping I am wrong...

Reaction Score

And there have been a few notable exceptions in the men's NBA as well. Spudd Webb, Calvin Murphy, etc. I stopped watching the NBA after the Knicks traded Pat Ewing and, predictably, went into a century long malaise, so I'm sure there are many more recent example of relatively short players, with exceptional quickness, who have succeeded. But, as a rule, not is true.

Reaction Score
Not sure Ana is quick enough to stay with her. Chrystal is too small. Aubrey does not have enough experience. Maybe a little zone?
Against a 3-point shooting team like Oregon? Don’t think so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom