Who guards Sabrina? | The Boneyard

Who guards Sabrina?

Reaction Score
I think you need Anna' size and strength on her. Anna is pretty good defensively. Also need to protect Crystal from fatigue and fouls.
Good point about Crystal. She takes enough punishment.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The key to controlling Ionescu is to attempt to deny her the ball by face guarding her. Anna isn’t quick enough to deny Ionescu the ball. Crystal will get the assignment, perhaps with Aubrey taking the assignment for a few minutes in reserve.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if she sees only one look. We'll mix it up a bit. If we decide to deny her the ball, that is better suited to Crystal.

Reaction Score
The key to controlling Ionescu is to attempt to deny her the ball by face guarding her. Anna isn’t quick enough to deny Ionescu the ball. Crystal will get the assignment, perhaps with Aubrey taking the assignment for a few minutes in reserve.
Definitely agree on face guarding. That almost goes without saying but hard to do. Sabrina isn’t actually that fast, more court savvy, and I have seen her demolish short fast guards. When Aubrey is in she might be better employed dealing with Hebard or Sabally, helping out Liv and Meg.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love what Calhoun said years ago about guarding another team's superstar, " We'll mix it up, put speed on him, height on him, and size on him." Maybe that means a mix of CD, Aubrey, and Anna.
I think your right you have to keep her off balance with schemes and players. You can't let her get on a roll as Stanford did in the 2nd half. This will be a battle of the coaches as well as the players. I have my popcorn ready.

Reaction Score
Take a page from Louisville's playbook. Big girl out front - Anna or Aubrey - try to minimize Sabrina's view. And, try and keep them off the boards. Our offense, will take care of itself, but, please use that old Muffett tactic of driving the lane, and ending up on the fee throw line! Play smart.

Reaction Score
On defense, I think we have the ability to put players more athletic and bigger on Ionescu. It would be an interesting look to see Makurat shift to guard Sabally and put Walker on Ionescu. Likely won't happen due to the fear of foul trouble. So I would expect Aubrey, Crystal & Ana to see some time disrupting her with quickness/height.

My guess is the game more comes down to who shoots the ball better from the perimeter, since both teams are capable of putting in a bunch.

Reaction Score
I would say Anna or Aubrey. Ionescu seems to have no trouble pulling up over a smaller, quicker guard like Crystal.

An equally important facet in guarding Sabrina is Liv, because if you’re guarding Sabrina, typically a decent amount of the time you’re guarding a pick and roll situation.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Sabrina is an amazing player but if she has a weakness, it is that she is a half step slow. I like the idea of our quickest defenders, Crystal and Aubrey, spending time on her.

Sabrina oftentimes controls the ball deep into the shot clock, looking for screens and trying to get into the key or paint area. we will need to play defense for the whole 30 seconds and there will be a lot of switching, so everyone will end up on her at some point.

Aubrey may have to cover Hebard if ONO gets into foul trouble. Walker will likely be on Sabally.

We will likely play some zone as well. Sabally has not been shooting it well from three point range and while Boley has a reputation as a shooter, she doesn`t appear to be doing much. She is also someone we can attack on the defensive end. I think Anna is the logical matchup against Boley.

Reaction Score
Let Aubrey face-guard her all game. I'd start the game that way to set the tone. We could throw bodies at Hebard if we need to get physical with her. But the key is to cut the head off the snake. Please dont start Irwin...we will just end up in a 5 to 10 point hole in the first 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
Not sure Ana is quick enough to stay with her. Chrystal is too small. Aubrey does not have enough experience. Maybe a little zone?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who guards Sabrina?
1580491027513.png

Salem, I guess.

Reaction Score
I would say Anna or Aubrey. Ionescu seems to have no trouble pulling up over a smaller, quicker guard like Crystal.

An equally important facet in guarding Sabrina is Liv, because if you’re guarding Sabrina, typically a decent amount of the time you’re guarding a pick and roll situation.
Your right if Crystal is guarding her they will run the pick and roll on whoever Liv is guarding. She doesn't jump out on the witch and Sabrina will take open jump shots. If she is on we will be in trouble. We have to give her different looks constantly

Reaction Score
Your right if Crystal is guarding her they will run the pick and roll on whoever Liv is guarding. She doesn't jump out on the witch and Sabrina will take open jump shots. If she is on we will be in trouble. We have to give her different looks constantly

This exactly. To be real, if Sabrina is on, then not a lot can be done to stop her. UConn will have to match with offense. Could be a great game, or get out of hand really quickly and be brutal. Better to know now then later.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure Ana is quick enough to stay with her. Chrystal is too small. Aubrey does not have enough experience. Maybe a little zone?
Crystal is more than capable of defending bigger guards, which she’s done all her life. She gives away only 4” or so to Ionescu and she is much quicker. As for a zone, Oregon will destroy a zone with their ball movement and ability to shoot the ball.

Reaction Score
Crystal is more than capable of defending bigger guards, which she’s done all her life. She gives away only 4” or so to Ionescu and she is much quicker. As for a zone, Oregon will destroy a zone with their ball movement and ability to shoot the ball.
6 inches

Reaction Score
I think you need Anna' size and strength on her. Anna is pretty good defensively. Also need to protect Crystal from fatigue and fouls.
I agree with what you are saying, but I don't believe Ania has the speed to do this. I think, therefore, it will be Crystal, in most cases. Working, primarily to deny her the ball and make everything difficult. Like a gnat in Sabrina's eye.

The reality is his: Sabrina is the best player in college basketball, and an experienced and poised senior. She will be the number one choice in the WNBA draft. And she has a great team to support her if she is double or triple teamed. No one can guard her. She can do it all. And always does. She is the best all around player in years. Might as well enjoy watching her, even though it will be at our expense this time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom