Who guards Mamu? | The Boneyard

Who guards Mamu?

Reaction Score
If so I hope only the 2nd half, too inexperienced to risk 2 first half fouls.

Jackson doesn’t yet have the experience to play someone like Mamu without getting in immediate foul trouble. Maybe he gets 4 minutes at some point, but the plan is IW has to guard him, and when IW can’t it will be Martin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jackson should be on Cale... he torched us last game

Jackson shouldn't be a primary defender on the opponents #1 option on the wing right now IMO. Especially in a game where we will need a lot of bodies to throw at SHU--this game is our most important of the year imo. He's too foul prone. I like him as a 3-4 minute guy whenever Rese goes out.

Reaction Score
Everyone. Sanogo gets first shot at it. Then probably Carlton. A little Whaley and I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson doesn't get a minute or two.

Reaction Score
I have a suspicion that we see a fast double team on Mamu. Hall shot 50% from the arc against us in the first outing. But that is well above their season average. And even if they shoot as well, doubling Mamu will reduce his effectiveness, so it's a net win.

Reaction Score
Early Spring time in NJ.
Put Richie on him
RS represents 5 fouls and if the refs call the game close and our primary Bigs have some foul issues.. I don't understand why you couldn't waste some of his fouls on their Bigs rather than our primary Bigs to protect them for the last 10 minutes of the game--crunch time.

I'm not saying play RS for 15-20 minutes. Just take advantage of his fouls while resting and keeping our other guys out of trouble.

If RS is the offensive rebounder that DH says he is..Maybe you pick up some cheap fouls on their Bigs.

Will be interesting to see how effective JC is with his ankle today. Realize RS doesn't have a lotta love on the BY but his time will come.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
IW primary defender. Rese or Jackson when he's out or it doesn't go well.
Might it be time to give some time to Josh for some of the downlow work? Mamu was pushing everyone around in there at 6-11 and 240. Josh only played 5 mins and the game got out of hand early. Especially if the refs let him just charge into and back down people. At least wear him down somewhat. Not sure anyone can stop him on the perimeter but more concerned with him dominating the middle. Make it very uncomfortable for him in the paint.

Reaction Score
Might it be time to give some time to Josh for some of the downlow work? Mamu was pushing everyone around in there at 6-11 and 240. Josh only played 5 mins and the game got out of hand early. Especially if the refs let him just charge into and back down people. At least wear him down somewhat. Not sure anyone can stop him on the perimeter but more concerned with him dominating the middle. Make it very uncomfortable for him in the paint.

IMO Carlton and Sanogo are both not great options to guard Mamu because his biggest threat is the 3 point shot as a big. If things go wrong again, it probably couldn't hurt though. I'd have to think Hurley and Co. have a lot better idea of what matchups can work after having 40 minutes of film from the last game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Richie was tongue in cheek.

I do agree crowing Mamu on the perimeter and prevents him from getting downhill momentum towards the hoop.

Use Martin the way other teams used to use smaller forwards and guards on Rudy Gay to tangle him up on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Jackson At least some of the time. Getting smarter and is a game changer.
Denial down low. Coaches have to come up with a plan.
We defiantly have the horses too do it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IW first dibs on Mamu. Then I think Tyrese, Polley, Jackson. Maybe Akok plays a few minutes here and there as well?

If someone smaller, they'll need a big big double since Mamu has already proven last game that he's willing to post up the smaller guys.

Reaction Score
Stating the obvious but Mamu is a match up problem for us.. Have to play team defense/help defense on him.

Would be interesting if DH lets the guys run a little and beat Mamu down the floor.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
IMO Carlton and Sanogo are both not great options to guard Mamu because his biggest threat is the 3 point shot as a big. If things go wrong again, it probably couldn't hurt though. I'd have to think Hurley and Co. have a lot better idea of what matchups can work after having 40 minutes of film from the last game.

There isn't anybody on the team who can truly effectively guard him inside and outside in man to man. Whaley can try, but he will dominate Whaley inside. So why try? Park Josh and Sanogo in the paint, let Whaley, Polley, Martin and Jax pick him up outside. At the very least try that for a few minutes to throw them off.

Reaction Score
There isn't anybody on the team who can truly effectively guard him inside and outside in man to man. Whaley can try, but he will dominate Whaley inside. So why try? Park Josh and Sanogo in the paint, let Whaley, Polley, Martin and Jax pick him up outside. At the very least try that for a few minutes to throw them off.

Does it count against the scholarship limit if we bring Johnson up for a game?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Does it count against the scholarship limit if we bring Johnson up for a game?

If Akok ever gets his legs where they need to be, he'd be perfect. Don't think he can hold position.

I think Manu is getting 20 and what we need to do is force him to draw fouls and expend energy on D. I'd run on him and at him. He can't keep up with Akok, Whaley or Sanogo in transition, and driving at him with Bouk, Jackson and Martin should produce fouls. Can't play slow.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If Akok ever gets his legs where they need to be, he'd be perfect. Don't think he can hold position.

I think Manu is getting 20 and what we need to do is force him to draw fouls and expend energy on D. I'd run on him and at him. He can't keep up with Akok, Whaley or Sanogo in transition, and driving at him with Bouk, Jackson and Martin should produce fouls. Can't play slow.

That is always the other strategy. Let Mamu get his bit keep everyone else in check. Don't sellout on coming off shooters to double team the drive and give up open 3's. UConn has consistently excelled at 3 pt shooting defense.
Don't double and let other SH players get offensive rebounds and clean up misses.
Just turn Mamu in to a scorer and lock down the rest.

Reaction Score
That is always the other strategy. Let Mamu get his bit keep everyone else in check. Don't sellout on coming off shooters to double team the drive and give up open 3's. UConn has consistently excelled at 3 pt shooting defense.
Don't double and let other SH players get offensive rebounds and clean up misses.
Just turn Mamu in to a scorer and lock down the rest.
Could work if Mamu's points are not too many 3's. He will take them if left alone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom