Who gets UConn in the NCAAs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who gets UConn in the NCAAs

Reaction Score
Well the top 8 seeds are below and the order doesnt really matter. The worst NiteMare for the seedings and the selection committee is who gets UConn in their bracket.
SC
Stanford
LVille
NC State
Baylor
Michigan
UConn
LSU

Now the rankings could change with the results of the conference tournaments. Right now nobody wants a healthy UConn in their bracket. Healthy, UConn is overwhelming with its depth and lets face it when you have Dorka Paige and Caroline coming off the bench your pretty damm good. So the selection committee has some options:

Put NC State or LVille in Bridgeport which many fans might consider a punishment or unfair
Put Michigan or Baylor in Bridgeport and put NC State and LVille as 1 and 2 seeds in the same region
Make UConn a 1 seed because of their NET and SOS and move Michigan Baylor or LSU into the Bridgeport Region while keeping NC State and LVille in the same bracket

What would that accomplish though? Either NC State or LVille would move on to the FF. We will see how that plays out on selection Sunday. IMO and most of you know how I feel, a healthy UConn team is deep and overwhelming. We are a different team now that we are healthy. Will the selection committee disregard what UConn was most of the season and consider them much better now then before? What would be fair? Alot of options. We were a top 3 team before Paige went down and the injuries and covid hit us.

My feeling would be to put NC State and LVille in the same Region and put another team in the Bridgeport Region to face UConn. Hey folks we can argue this til the cows come home but lets face it when you have Dorka Paige and Caroline coming off the bench youve got a very very powerful and overwhelming team and I dont think there is a team in the country that can handle a healthy UConn team. Because of the injuries and covid UConn is better then I thought they'd be at this point in the season. Barring injuries and a lot of foul trouble I dont think there is a team that can stay with UConn.

As Ive said before, on Selection Sunday teams will be looking at at 2 things..... 1 where they are going and 2 is UConn in their bracket.
I do love your optimism (and share it to a large degree) but I have to disagree on the “no team can stay with UConn” . I think SC and (to a slightly lesser degree) Stanford are definite threats and probably NC State and Louisville (on a given day) could be a problem as well. If (and it’s a big if) UConn can get finely tuned with what they have now, and not have any clunkers over the final three games, then, yes, I like our chances against anyone.

I think our defense is really the key. If we are playing our top defense, I think we’ll be at least a wash with any of the top teams. So, then it comes down to offense. Assuming we play well on offense, I really don’t see who can score with us. However, there are a lot of question marks in there.

Can we get finely tuned in time, will we be consistent, can we get a handle on our turnovers, can we at least defend ourselves on the boards against SC and Stanford, will we overcome our recent tendency to have bad quarters (especially fourth quarters), and finally, (perhaps most importantly) can we play our best when it really counts? If yes, then we may be celebrating our twelfth soon. If no well, we could win anyway, but the margin of error becomes very small, and we’re going to need some things to fall our way.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The worst case senario flashed on the screen during the game broadcast today: UConn seeded in Greensboro with #1 seed South Carolina! Say it ain't so. What a nightmare. You complete the nightmare with Dee Kantner as Referee.

Reaction Score
The worst case senario flashed on the screen during the game broadcast today: UConn seeded in Greensboro with #1 seed South Carolina! Say it ain't so. What a nightmare. You complete the nightmare with Dee Kantner as Referee.
During the broadcast they passed off that top 16 "bracket" as it was the product of their (i.e., CBS SN) research. It looked strangely familiar with Charlie Creme's latest Bracketology, and we all have our feeling about the accuracy of those.... The last Committee reveal had UCONN in Bridgeport...although that is no guarantee that they will stay there. I understand the next reveal is Monday 2/28 evening, and then of course the engraved in stone version on Selection Sunday.

GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Much will change. Big 12 has 3 teams as 2 seeds. At least one of them will not make their tourney final. They will drop to a 3. Michigan not looking great today, likely to drop a bit. Others will also. We will be a high 2 seed, going to Bridgeport. Will also see how LSU finishes up.

Reaction Score
There are still Dominoes falling... i.e., #6 Michigan down by 16 to #21 Iowa at end of 3rd quarter right now. Other dominoes will fall in the Conference Tournaments.
UCONN needs to win the BE Tournament and let the chips (seedings) fall where they may... then TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Even though I'd like UCONN to be placed in the Bridgeport bracket, I believe the committee will place them in Greensboro with South Carolina.

PS: Each team has to show up at the venue the committee sends it to. Remember, some years ago, (A'Ja Wilson's senior year), SC had to play UCONN in Albany. SC had won the championship the year before, and yet the committee placed them in the same bracket as UCONN, who eventually went on to the Final Four. I had mixed emotions that year -- happy for UCONN, but saddened that the previous year's winner was denied the opportunity to at least get back to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Probably going to have to beat them eventually to win it all............might as well get it over with early............:)

Reaction Score
I do love your optimism (and share it to a large degree) but I have to disagree on the “no team can stay with UConn” . I think SC and (to a slightly lesser degree) Stanford are definite threats and probably NC State and Louisville (on a given day) could be a problem as well. If (and it’s a big if) UConn can get finely tuned with what they have now, and not have any clunkers over the final three games, then, yes, I like our chances against anyone.

I think our defense is really the key. If we are playing our top defense, I think we’ll be at least a wash with any of the top teams. So, then it comes down to offense. Assuming we play well on offense, I really don’t see who can score with us. However, there are a lot of question marks in there.

Can we get finely tuned in time, will we be consistent, can we get a handle on our turnovers, can we at least defend ourselves on the boards against SC and Stanford, will we overcome our recent tendency to have bad quarters (especially fourth quarters), and finally, (perhaps most importantly) can we play our best when it really counts? If yes, then we may be celebrating our twelfth soon. If no well, we could win anyway, but the margin of error becomes very small, and we’re going to need some things to fall our way.

Ugh. Dee Kantner referring any game in the tournament is a terrible thought!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
There are still Dominoes falling... i.e., #6 Michigan down by 16 to #21 Iowa at end of 3rd quarter right now. Other dominoes will fall in the Conference Tournaments.
UCONN needs to win the BE Tournament and let the chips (seedings) fall where they may... then TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS

GO HUSKIES!!!
@triaddukefan

Jds

Reaction Score
Even though I'd like UCONN to be placed in the Bridgeport bracket, I believe the committee will place them in Greensboro with South Carolina.

PS: Each team has to show up at the venue the committee sends it to. Remember, some years ago, (A'Ja Wilson's senior year), SC had to play UCONN in Albany. SC had won the championship the year before, and yet the committee placed them in the same bracket as UCONN, who eventually went on to the Final Four. I had mixed emotions that year -- happy for UCONN, but saddened that the previous year's winner was denied the opportunity to at least get back to the Final Four.
When they placed South Carolina in Albany there was not a regional in Greensboro so it's not comparable.

Reaction Score

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, they weren’t denied anything. They did not win their bracket.

Reaction Score
With the slump Michigan and Indiana are having at the end of the season, I think they’ve helped UConn get a 2 seed. So, UConn will be in Bridgeport, and I think NC State will be the 1 seed. It is a shorter trip to Wichita for Louisville, than it is for NC state. It is also a shorter trip for NC State to make to Bridgeport, than it is for Louisville.

Reaction Score
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, they weren’t denied anything. They did not win their bracket.
I get what you're saying, but they didn't win because they played against UCONN in the region final, and UCONN won. Now, had they been placed in another region, they probably would've won, and made it back to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you want UCONN in Greensboro. Actually, I like SC chances better in Greensboro than Minneapolis. At least you don't have to worry about Florida State. The committee use to love sticking them in SC's bracket. :)
Only a FSU fan for football don’t follow any of their other sports programs .. always been a UConn womens bball fan ..

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Page 3, second column:

"Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines."

I thought you were right but somehow read past that rule.

Reaction Score
The committee has 25 geeks in somebody's basement figuring out computer algorithims that will tell them who to put where. Sadly. But when you look at any individual team and how far they can go, it comes down to two things. Matchups and officiating. Some teams just don't match up well against certain other teams. Good coaching can overcome that. But if you have a finesse team playing a bull in a china shop team, and the officials swallow their whistle, or you play defense with you're feet and the officials don't know what that looks like because it's not a point of emphasis, you're in trouble.

Reaction Score
Great comment, Tony. As usual. The only thing I'd change is "Dorka Paige and Caroline" coming off the bench to "Evina, Dorka, Paige and Caroline" coming off the bench. The stabilizing impact of "E" may be the key to #12.
I would suggest changing in to, "Evina, Dorka, Nika, and Caroline" coming off the bench, as I believe PB will be starting. Judging by the starters at Senior day...

Reaction Score
During the broadcast they passed off that top 16 "bracket" as it was the product of their (i.e., CBS SN) research. It looked strangely familiar with Charlie Creme's latest Bracketology, and we all have our feeling about the accuracy of those.... The last Committee reveal had UCONN in Bridgeport...although that is no guarantee that they will stay there. I understand the next reveal is Monday 2/28 evening, and then of course the engraved in stone version on Selection Sunday.

GO HUSKIES!
latest bracketology has them in Greensboro with SC

Reaction Score
Iowa beat 6th ranked Michigan today....that should move UConn to that position. I'm guessing we end up as a #2 with N.C. State.

Reaction Score
Chris Dailey said something about effects from Caroline's head injury lingering longer than anyone knew, but also that she is healing and soon should be 100%. I wondered if maybe she wasn't 100% and said so in a couple of posts. She is amazing and such a potent weapon with her shooting, rebounding, good defense and 6'2 size.

Imagine (is it imagination if the pieces are actually there?) how dangerous we can be with Caroline, Azzi, Christyn, Paige and Evina, all good shooters from outside, all able to score inside too, they are all good defenders, and we have a strong inside game too. With all the fantastic teams of the past, some of which were undefeated, when did we ever go on so many extended runs where UConn scored 15, 20, 25 points in a row while the other team went scoreless?

Could SCarolina, Stanford, maybe Louisville and others still beat us? Sure, but it won't be easy. I think SCarolina is the biggest threat, Boston is just so strong down low. But we can't sleep on anyone. I hope Paige gets stronger and stronger each game, and this post-season I am anticipating maybe more than ever!

Reaction Score
latest bracketology has them in Greensboro with SC
Yes... Charley Creme's Bracketology... but the last thing from the Committee (the only bracket that matters) had UCONN in Bridgeport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom