Who gets UConn in the NCAAs | The Boneyard

Who gets UConn in the NCAAs

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well the top 8 seeds are below and the order doesnt really matter. The worst NiteMare for the seedings and the selection committee is who gets UConn in their bracket.
SC
Stanford
LVille
NC State
Baylor
Michigan
UConn
LSU

Now the rankings could change with the results of the conference tournaments. Right now nobody wants a healthy UConn in their bracket. Healthy, UConn is overwhelming with its depth and lets face it when you have Dorka Paige and Caroline coming off the bench your pretty damm good. So the selection committee has some options:

Put NC State or LVille in Bridgeport which many fans might consider a punishment or unfair
Put Michigan or Baylor in Bridgeport and put NC State and LVille as 1 and 2 seeds in the same region
Make UConn a 1 seed because of their NET and SOS and move Michigan Baylor or LSU into the Bridgeport Region while keeping NC State and LVille in the same bracket

What would that accomplish though? Either NC State or LVille would move on to the FF. We will see how that plays out on selection Sunday. IMO and most of you know how I feel, a healthy UConn team is deep and overwhelming. We are a different team now that we are healthy. Will the selection committee disregard what UConn was most of the season and consider them much better now then before? What would be fair? Alot of options. We were a top 3 team before Paige went down and the injuries and covid hit us.

My feeling would be to put NC State and LVille in the same Region and put another team in the Bridgeport Region to face UConn. Hey folks we can argue this til the cows come home but lets face it when you have Dorka Paige and Caroline coming off the bench youve got a very very powerful and overwhelming team and I dont think there is a team in the country that can handle a healthy UConn team. Because of the injuries and covid UConn is better then I thought they'd be at this point in the season. Barring injuries and a lot of foul trouble I dont think there is a team that can stay with UConn.

As Ive said before, on Selection Sunday teams will be looking at at 2 things..... 1 where they are going and 2 is UConn in their bracket.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
To add, as we saw yesterday with men's BB games, there is still a lot of room in the remaining season for things to change dramatically:

#1 Gonzaga lost to #23 St Mary's (24-6, 12-3)
#2 Arizona lost to unranked Colorado (19-10, 11-8)
#3 Auburn lost to #17 Tennessee (21-7, 12-4)
#4 Purdue lost to unranked Michigan St (19-9, 10-7)
#5 Kansas lost to #10 Baylor (24-5, 12-4)
#6 Kentucky lost to #18 Arkansas (23-6, 12-4)
#9 Texas Tech lost to unranked TCU (18-9, 7-8)

One could argue that losing to a ranked team towards the top of conference standings is not a big deal, however at this point, all conference games will play info final standings for conference tourneys, and for those where the tourney champ is the automatic bid, that could throw some wrinkles.

For the women's side, most conf games are almost done and we're onto the conf tourneys so it will be interesting to see if any potential upsets create havoc with the brackets.

Reaction Score
To add, as we saw yesterday with men's BB games, there is still a lot of room in the remaining season for things to change dramatically:

One could argue that losing to a ranked team towards the top of conference standings is not a big deal, however at this point, all conference games will play info final standings for conference tourneys, and for those where the tourney champ is the automatic bid, that could throw some wrinkles.

For the women's side, most conf games are almost done and we're onto the conf tourneys so it will be interesting to see if any potential upsets create havoc with the brackets.
Yesterday is a crazy day for men BB. Top 6 teams all lost. I think this never happens before.

Reaction Score
Anything can change, like you all said. Too many games left and as we have seen this year, anything can happen. No team is unbeatable. I think the big thing is, UConn is slowly getting lethal, like we all talked about back in the summer before the season started, and nobody wants to face these dawgs at full strength with so many options.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Final games for top 25 teams, for those that want to fill their day with b2b2b hoopla.

Today
4 Louisville @ 14 Notre Dame (ESPN2, 12pm)
8 LSU @ 16 Tennessee (ESPN2, 2pm)
6 Michigan @ 21 Iowa (ESPN2, 4pm)

Providence @ 7 UConn (CBSSN, 2pm)

Missouri @ 15 Florida (SECN, 12 pm)
1 South Carolina @ Ole Miss (SECN, 2pm)
Texas A&M @ 25 Georgia (SECN, 2pm)

22 Georgia Tech @ Wake Forest (ACCN, 1pm)
Duke @ 18 North Carolina (ACCN, 4pm)
3 NC State @ 23 Virginia Tech (ACCN, 6pm)

17 Ohio State @ Michigan State (BTN, 2:30pm)

Tomorrow
5 Baylor @ 9 Iowa State (ESPN2, 7pm)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Final games for top 25 teams, for those that want to fill their day with b2b2b hoopla.

Today
4 Louisville @ 14 Notre Dame (ESPN2, 12pm)
8 LSU @ 16 Tennessee (ESPN2, 2pm)
6 Michigan @ 21 Iowa (ESPN2, 4pm)

(etc)
And yes, I've warned my husband that after the UConn M&WBB double header, I will not let go of the remote for the rest of the day. I want to see some upsets. I want the selection committee to have to work hard at seeding.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony / Jelly Bean
I think the big thing is, UConn is slowly getting lethal.
Ya think? Slowly?...How about warp speed?

Tony:
I can't explain why, but I feel that thIs the year, that the powers to be kick us out of Bridgeport, but keep us away from Sanford and SCar...so that we terrorize another location...Unless there are some big losses like in the men's and we wind up a #1

I have an easy to contemplate fantasy...(hard to get to your left)...that the team
is absolutely untouchable in the tourney...cruises, effortlessly against all.
(for the reasons you have astutely articulated) and waltzes in to a Natty.

Not impossible.

Reaction Score
Well the top 8 seeds are below and the order doesnt really matter. The worst NiteMare for the seedings and the selection committee is who gets UConn in their bracket.
SC
Stanford
LVille
NC State
Baylor
Michigan
UConn
LSU

Now the rankings could change with the results of the conference tournaments. Right now nobody wants a healthy UConn in their bracket. Healthy, UConn is overwhelming with its depth and lets face it when you have Dorka Paige and Caroline coming off the bench your pretty damm good. So the selection committee has some options:

Put NC State or LVille in Bridgeport which many fans might consider a punishment or unfair
Put Michigan or Baylor in Bridgeport and put NC State and LVille as 1 and 2 seeds in the same region
Make UConn a 1 seed because of their NET and SOS and move Michigan Baylor or LSU into the Bridgeport Region while keeping NC State and LVille in the same bracket

What would that accomplish though? Either NC State or LVille would move on to the FF. We will see how that plays out on selection Sunday. IMO and most of you know how I feel, a healthy UConn team is deep and overwhelming. We are a different team now that we are healthy. Will the selection committee disregard what UConn was most of the season and consider them much better now then before? What would be fair? Alot of options. We were a top 3 team before Paige went down and the injuries and covid hit us.

My feeling would be to put NC State and LVille in the same Region and put another team in the Bridgeport Region to face UConn. Hey folks we can argue this til the cows come home but lets face it when you have Dorka Paige and Caroline coming off the bench youve got a very very powerful and overwhelming team and I dont think there is a team in the country that can handle a healthy UConn team. Because of the injuries and covid UConn is better then I thought they'd be at this point in the season. Barring injuries and a lot of foul trouble I dont think there is a team that can stay with UConn.

As Ive said before, on Selection Sunday teams will be looking at at 2 things..... 1 where they are going and 2 is UConn in their bracket.
Great comment, Tony. As usual. The only thing I'd change is "Dorka Paige and Caroline" coming off the bench to "Evina, Dorka, Paige and Caroline" coming off the bench. The stabilizing impact of "E" may be the key to #12.

Reaction Score
SC
Stanford
LVille
NC State
Baylor
Michigan
UConn
LSU

p

Of the 4 you listed I prefer Uconn to face LLVille and/or NC st. They have never seen the defense this team can put on another. I fear SC with Boston as a relief valve/backstop/scorer that allows their guards/forwards to have an outlet most teams don't have. Uconn's defense as great as it is may not work as well against SC.
Stanford is less of a threat but loaded with top talent and talent is what wins games, ask Geno.
Never the less, the FF is a real possibility, the NC game a near reality, The NC? Geno has never lost an NC game.
As always, *TonyC it is always a pleasure to read your words, with or without Paragraphs.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
who cares? they're all going to the hospital, cuz
wu82pue5dc071.png

nasty.

Reaction Score
Tony / Jelly Bean

Ya think? Slowly?...How about warp speed?

Tony:
I can't explain why, but I feel that thIs the year, that the powers to be kick us out of Bridgeport, but keep us away from Sanford and SCar...so that we terrorize another location...Unless there are some big losses like in the men's and we wind up a #1

I have an easy to contemplate fantasy...(hard to get to your left)...that the team
is absolutely untouchable in the tourney...cruises, effortlessly against all.
(for the reasons you have astutely articulated) and waltzes in to a Natty.

Not impossible.
I agree WARP SPEED!!! Geno, as much as some, maybe all, thought rank 10 was over rated, Geno created the impossible. A stumbling team ( bad losses) Geno transformed into an amazing attack minded defensive AND offensive unit. All those kids were part of this team and they looked --well, to be kind, not so good. Then Geno, who knows how, worked his magic and they didn't just defend they disrupted good teams and made them look terrible. Amazing transformation---that should be a thread, @oldude !!

Reaction Score
Of the 4 you listed I prefer Uconn to face LLVille and/or NC st. They have never seen the defense this team can put on another. I fear SC with Boston as a relief valve/backstop/scorer that allows their guards/forwards to have an outlet most teams don't have. Uconn's defense as great as it is may not work as well against SC.
Stanford is less of a threat but loaded with top talent and talent is what wins games, ask Geno.
Never the less, the FF is a real possibility, the NC game a near reality, The NC? Geno has never lost an NC game.
As always, *TonyC it is always a pleasure to read your words, with or without Paragraphs.
I wonder what Boston’s highest point total has ever been n a single game. Whatever it was, I say give it to her and focus on the rest of the team. Theoretically you may have 15 fouls to give to her and Coderso (sp?) so give them, make her work for it and see what percentage they (the other USC) shoot from the outside.

Reaction Score

To translate your point to the Women's game, its very possible that 1-2 of the top 8 lose in their league playoffs. UConn likely to buzz through Big East. That scenario would put UConn in the top 5-6. Effect on seeding? Who knows?

Reaction Score
Bring on South Carolina take care of them early and not worry about them in the final 4.
Sounds like you want UCONN in Greensboro. Actually, I like SC chances better in Greensboro than Minneapolis. At least you don't have to worry about Florida State. The committee use to love sticking them in SC's bracket. :)

Reactions: sun
Reaction Score
Personally, I would rather face Stanford than UConn. UConn has to many scoring options that you would have to take away. Stanford would be easier to disrupt. Deny them the high post and harass the guards.

Jds

Reaction Score
The committee will protect Stanford and SC. NC State is closer to Bridgeport than Louisville, and Louisville is closer Wichita. Uconn has played Louisville and the committee doesn't want teams that have played each other. NC State will be in Bridgeport and Uconn will be in Bridgeport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom