Who gets the points and assist? | The Boneyard

Who gets the points and assist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
funny! No assist on the basket and the basket is probably assigned to the guy slinging it backhand back into the court though it could be assigned to his teammate standing under the basket as the 'closest' to the defender when it got redirected into the hoop.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great play but i'd say the kid who made the pass gets the assist and the kid who flung the ball gets the 2 points.

Swin Cash made a basket for the opposing team in one game. She grabbed the ball, didn't think, and made a lay up into the wrong basket. Not sure if anyone on the other team got the assist or credit for the basket...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great play but i'd say the kid who made the pass gets the assist and the kid who flung the ball gets the 2 points.

Swin Cash made a basket for the opposing team in one game. She grabbed the ball, didn't think, and made a lay up into the wrong basket. Not sure if anyone on the other team got the assist or credit for the basket...
In woman's soccer there is no goal or assist on an "own goal"

In basketball there has to be an offensive player assigned to each basket (there are no 'team' baskets, like there are rebounds) - the rule of thumb is the offensive player closest to the basket or to the defender who last touched the ball. I believe the scorer has some leeway on this though. It actually happens not that infrequently on rebounding, and I believe Stewart scored one attempting to tip a rebound this year. In those cases it is pretty easy to assign the basket, as it is typically an offensive player challenging the defender for the rebound that results in the defender inadvertently putting the ball in the basket, and that offensive player is both closest to the defender, and closest to the basket.

On the Swin basket, I have no idea who got credited, because all of the offensive players were running back to defend before Swin saw the unguarded hoop and took her chance! As i remember that was a rebound off a missed free-throw and she really did have a clear lane to the basket for the easy score!:eek:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
In basketball there has to be an offensive player assigned to each basket (there are no 'team' baskets, like there are rebounds) - the rule of thumb is the offensive player closest to the basket or to the defender who last touched the ball. I believe the scorer has some leeway on this though. It actually happens not that infrequently on rebounding, and I believe Stewart scored one attempting to tip a rebound this year. In those cases it is pretty easy to assign the basket, as it is typically an offensive player challenging the defender for the rebound that results in the defender inadvertently putting the ball in the basket, and that offensive player is both closest to the defender, and closest to the basket.

On the Swin basket, I have no idea who got credited, because all of the offensive players were running back to defend before Swin saw the unguarded hoop and took her chance! As i remember that was a rebound off a missed free-throw and she really did have a clear lane to the basket for the easy score!:eek:

I believe Maylana Martin got the basket as she was the only player left in the lane when Swin shot.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In woman's soccer there is no goal or assist on an "own goal"
Same for men's soccer. A deflection gets counted as a goal for the shooter if the shot was deemed to be on target, but an active attempt by a defender (non-goalie) to play the ball that ends in the net is deemed an own goal, even if the shot was on target. There is some discretion on the part of the official scorekeeper but not a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom