Who gets the ball crunch time / Pheesa or Lou | The Boneyard

Who gets the ball crunch time / Pheesa or Lou

Reaction Score
Does Pheesa or Lou take the last shot in a tie game? Will it depend on the match ups or which one has the hotter hand? Or do you put the ball is CW's hands if she is on fire and playing like she did against ND. It would be interesting to see how the players react and respond although we'd all rather see them have as much of a lead or cushion as possible.

Last year it was Gabby Williams. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'll admit I'm a little surprised Geno didn't try to get the ball down low to AZ for a higher percentage shot.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Whoever has the hot hand. If a player is in rhythm, they have a better than average chance of making a basket or getting to the line. I’d be ok with Collier taking the last shot. She knows how to get to the basket/line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Crystal passes to a wide open Lou in the corner, Lou jumps for the wide open 3, then dumps it down on the block to Pheesa for the layup, and 1, at the buzzer!!!
Lou with the game winning assist and Crystal with the game winning hockey assist.

But seriously now - I hope that we are not in that situation in another Tournament game EVER!!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gotta agree with Scoop. Which ever player has the hot hand gets the ball in crunch time. Gotta go with the heat check.

Reaction Score
Crystal passes to a wide open Lou in the corner, Lou jumps for the wide open 3, then dumps it down on the block to Pheesa for the layup, and 1, at the buzzer!!!
Lou with the game winning assist and Crystal with the game winning hockey assist.

No way Lou is going to be wide open in that situation, even if she had been 0-10 during the game.

Reaction Score
No way Lou is going to be wide open in that situation, even if she had been 0-10 during the game.
Well in my scenario her defender has slacked off to help defend Pheesa.
I can dream, can't I??????

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't think there's a clear answer. It depends on too many factors. As has been mentioned above, who has the hot hand. But equally it depends on how they're being defended. If it's a sagging zone, Lou would be the likely candidate. If it's a man defense with a big 5 guarding Napheesa, she'll likely come off a double screen and be wide open. If it's a junk defense with Pheesa and Lou being face guarded, possibly Megan down low, Christyn driving, or Crystal for a jumper.

If it can happen, the highest percentage is Napheesa 10 feet or closer.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
While she sure didn't have her best game against Buffalo, I would trust Crystal with the ball and then let her decide where it goes for that last shot...and that would include CD herself taking it.

Back in the day: UConn/Texas in the semi-finals....maybe 2003 or 2004: we're down maybe by 9 with about 6 minutes to go. I remember reading that Geno said something to the effect that if you have an open lay-up....shoot. Otherwise make sure Dee touches the ball on every possession.

Worked out just fine.

Reaction Score
Predicting as the Tournament goes on, UConn will have to deal with big shot blockers so our fortune will depend on outside shot. Unless Williams is hot, fortunes throughout game likely to depend on KLS.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Because the shot must NOT be forced, Geno will have a play with options. My play would comprise
1) dump the ball in to pheesa and give her an option to make a play
2) CD and KLS spread on the same side of the floor, If Pheesa has nothing (double teamed), she kicks out to whichever of the two is more open. If the shot is there take it
3) if not there swing the ball to the other shooter, if the shot is there take it. If not back down to Pheesa or skip to CW.

On the shot everyone crashes the boards.

Reaction Score
If a three is needed,who has the team's highest percentage three point shooter? Is it not the good ship Mollypop? Just sayin":)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Does Pheesa or Lou take the last shot in a tie game?

Need a three to win? Lou. Need a two to win? Phee. If Phee has been scoring inside and inducing the opponent to foul her and three points is needed to win, I might consider Phee for an old fashion three to win. However, if someone else has had the hot hand all game long, then give it the hot hand.

Reaction Score
Last second shots are an entity unto their own. For every Michael Jordan there are 100 or more, um, other guys (politically correct).

Can't remember the last time a UConn WCBB player hit a last second game winner in a tournament game. Taurasi had that great post-up against Oklahoma, and while it was a dagger that basically ended the game (fouling Dales out), it wasn't last second, and the game wasn't within 1 possession. "Bird at the buzzer" was halftime. Sales, I believe tied a game vs. Tenn that was lost in OT.

Contrast a bunch of efforts that have come up short - from a wide open, short corner last second against Duke to... well no need to go there.

Such diagrammed plays have options. Given a hypothetical need for a "2" (not a "3"), enough time to run a play (anywhere from 20 to 10 seconds), for me, 3 options would be:
1. Collier anywhere near the key. Or anywhere near anywhere lol
2. Dangerfield off a screen for a medium jumper
3. Walker or Williams, as a weak side cutter.

Rather than single out any player, I'll let those choices stand based on what I've seen late in big games.

PS In a tie game, I ensure I absolutely have the last second shot. Even if it means my team fails to get the shot off and we go OT, for me, the opponent must never have the opportunity to rebound, time-out, advance. Shot up 3 seconds, or less...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UConn does not seem to have an organized play for a last second shot. They have been very unsuccessful at that.

Reaction Score
Predicting as the Tournament goes on, UConn will have to deal with big shot blockers so our fortune will depend on outside shot. Unless Williams is hot, fortunes throughout game likely to depend on KLS.

And therein lies the problem. Lou has thrown up so many bricks this year, it would appear that her teammates no longer believe in her. It's so sad, such a great talent apparently lost. It's highly doubtful UConn will get out of Albany, and a big possibility they won't get past UCLA. Hope I'm wrong!

Reaction Score
UConn does not seem to have an organized play for a last second shot. They have been very unsuccessful at that.

Absolutely correct! Actually, in crunch time and/or big games this season, UConn doesn't have much of an offensive plan at all.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If it comes down to foul shots KLS CD are our two best foul shooters. Needing baskets we need to get it down low and if Phessa gets the ball she might be double teamed. UCLA will be anticapting her getting the ball so use her as a decoy and get the ball to someone cutting to the basket. The combo of KLS and Phessa will be huge if its close because they work so well together.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield because they will get fouled and she is the only one strong enough to create while being fouled. Collier is option 2. Third is a tossup between Samuelson and Williams

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Dangerfield because they will get fouled and she is the only one strong enough to create while being fouled. Collier is option 2. Third is a tossup between Samuelson and Williams

It seems the question is easier after the game is played. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom