Who Doesn't Love Watching Penn State Lose? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who Doesn't Love Watching Penn State Lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The good news about the effects of this Temple game and their CR chances: they're about to beat Penn State for the first time since 1373 and there will only be a couple thousand fans in the stadium to see it end. PSU fans are already heading home.

But to be fair, for most of the pre-Columbian era, Temple had difficulty recruiting because lacrosse was more popular among the Delaware and Lenape. Football was always more popular in Central PA. The Shawnee bred some great linebackers.

Reaction Score
Temple looked great , don't forget they have played PSU tough the last few years. Glad to see that they finally came through and finally beat t them, in fact dominated them.

Not sure what conference Temple is in, oh now I remember. But there in no way Temple is considered a better CR candidate than us. The whole talk about P4/P5 is such BS. The system has to create 4 super conferences that each have up Tyler Phommachanh 20 members and include the UConn's, BYU, Boise, Cincy, Temple, UCF or South Florida, and maybe a texas school or two combined with maybe maybe Memphis.

Might take the government to push for this, but to lie low and have ESPN dictate who the power teams are is crazy.

Reaction Score
I never in my lifetime thought ti would be possible to say this...PSU has a worse OL than UCONN. It is horrendous...they look like the UCONN OL from last season.

I was thinking the same thing!

Reaction Score
What's lost in this conversation is the crowd yesterday. ESPN showed multiple panoramic shots from atop the stadium & contrary to what you might think, most were adorned in Cherry &White. This was a sell out for Temple. Where did all of these Owl fans come from? They were vocal, they were loud, they were into the game. Was this a 1 time deal, or can Temple get repeat customers?

Reaction Score
That crowd was heavily Penn State. It is every time they play.

Reaction Score
What's lost in this conversation is the crowd yesterday. ESPN showed multiple panoramic shots from atop the stadium & contrary to what you might think, most were adorned in Cherry &White. This was a sell out for Temple. Where did all of these Owl fans come from? They were vocal, they were loud, they were into the game. Was this a 1 time deal, or can Temple get repeat customers?

The announcers said it was 50/50, but i saw predominantly cherry and white from the sidelines to the top of the stadium. Psu fans must have been on the near side. Overall great visuals for temple. Very happy for them. Hope Greater Philly decides to give them a look. Hell i hope the temple community gives them a look.

They definitely will challenge for the AAC east this year. If we were playing them soon we would be in trouble. However I think the development we have seen from the smu game to the villanova game will continue during the season (I think half of our starters are sophomores, with SEVEN on offense). They should mature in front of our eyes. If so, the end of the regular season game vs. the owls will be a barnburner (for the AAC east maybe???)

Reaction Score
I will root for AAC teams to do good because its better for UConn to beat conference mates as with significant resumes as opposed to a bunch of teams with 2-10 records.

Al Golden quietly started a resurgence of Temple abilities at the same time as Schiano was pushing along Rutgers.

Golden, Adazzio, and now Rhule are fireplugs hungry for success in their own right and took on rebuilding efforts of teams no big name coach would have in their conversation.

More amazing is there were close to 70,000 people in the stands.......and a LOT were wearing RED jerseys.......regardless of the team an athlete plays for, it must give them a perception of fan support to see a stadium packed with school colors.....as opposed to opposing team colors. I don't care what school they play for, no high school student signs onto any college program with a desire to go 0-12!

If Temple is undefeated by the time ND arrives in Philadelphia, the tickets for that game will be hard to get.

Despite how many feel about the AAC......more than a few of our opponents are making strides to upgrade their programs with outstanding hires from major FBS schools.

SMU played any outstanding game against Baylor. Basically stayed even the first half. Final score means nothing to me. Baylor smokes a lot of teams in the Big 12......they are just that good. Certainly looks like SMU can expand their stadium over 60,000 by enclosing an end zone. They had an excellent recruiting class, and their new HC was former OC at Auburn. Sounds like the commentators suggested the fans are really fired up.

I think Houston is also on the rise with a new expandable stadium, coach, and decent recruiting class.

All of this is good for UConn if they can keep up.

Reaction Score
SMU /Baylor became a TOTALLY different game when SMU lost their QB.
I will root for AAC teams to do good because its better for UConn to beat conference mates as with significant resumes as opposed to a bunch of teams with 2-10 records.

Al Golden quietly started a resurgence of Temple abilities at the same time as Schiano was pushing along Rutgers.

Golden, Adazzio, and now Rhule are fireplugs hungry for success in their own right and took on rebuilding efforts of teams no big name coach would have in their conversation.

More amazing is there were close to 70,000 people in the stands..and a LOT were wearing RED jerseys..regardless of the team an athlete plays for, it must give them a perception of fan support to see a stadium packed with school colors.....as opposed to opposing team colors. I don't care what school they play for, no high school student signs onto any college program with a desire to go 0-12!

If Temple is undefeated by the time ND arrives in Philadelphia, the tickets for that game will be hard to get.

Despite how many feel about the AAC.more than a few of our opponents are making strides to upgrade their programs with outstanding hires from major FBS schools.

SMU played any outstanding game against Baylor. Basically stayed even the first half. Final score means nothing to me. Baylor smokes a lot of teams in the Big 12.they are just that good. Certainly looks like SMU can expand their stadium over 60,000 by enclosing an end zone. They had an excellent recruiting class, and their new HC was former OC at Auburn. Sounds like the commentators suggested the fans are really fired up.

I think Houston is also on the rise with a new expandable stadium, coach, and decent recruiting class.

All of this is good for UConn if they can keep up.

Reaction Score
One one of the big difference between college basketball and college football? In hoops the broadcasters get excited when an underdog/non power school pulls an upset. In football? They get emotionless, make excuses, or really start calling out the Power school for losing. That's been pretty much what's going on this whole 2nd half.

There's definitely more of a sense of elitism between bigger and smaller schools/conferences in college football. That's definitely perpetrated by the announcers, too.

Reaction Score
PSU Nation is imploding this morning.....Franklin is being called out by former players....this is going to be like watching another train wreck happen in slow motion.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Franklin is a d0uche. Another guy who has never won anything that talks as if he is Bill Belichick or Nick Saban.

Reaction Score
Franklin is a good coach who proved his worth the last 3 yrs at Vandy. He comes across as a strange bird but he has gotten this far as a players' coach. Once they start winning at PSU the alums will like him.

Reaction Score
Franklin is a good coach who proved his worth the last 3 yrs at Vandy. He comes across as a strange bird but he has gotten this far as a players' coach. Once they start winning at PSU the alums will like him.
His problem right now is this (and he admitted it when asked a question after the game by a PSU beat writer) he isn't that god of an X's & O's guy...he is a good speaker, salesman, and manager...there for he needs a VERY GOOD OC & DC. Right now his OC & Ol/Running Game Coord. flat out SUCK. They are in GDL class. The guy who asked him the question was pretty blunt...he either will lose his job at PSU out of loyalty to his staff or will make staff changes.....come out of this mess and be better for the experience.

Reaction Score
Glad PSU lost. Keep making up for the time you guys got back that you weren't supposed to for the violations

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
His problem right now is this (and he admitted it when asked a question after the game by a PSU beat writer) he isn't that god of an X's & O's guy...he is a good speaker, salesman, and manager...there for he needs a VERY GOOD OC & DC. Right now his OC & Ol/Running Game Coord. flat out SUCK. They are in GDL class. The guy who asked him the question was pretty blunt...he either will lose his job at PSU out of loyalty to his staff or will make staff changes.....come out of this mess and be better for the experience.
So he's Schiano?

Reaction Score
The camera/media positioning was on the 'visitors' side, meaning the camera would always pan out to the Temple side. The 'home' side for Temple games was switched a couple of years ago because the cameras used to pan out against empty seats. That being said, there is a lot of excitement about Temple's team this year before this game. The crowd was 50-50, but a legit 34K plus was on the Temple side. If Temple beats Cincy and the other two teams on its schedule before the next home game (Oct 12 I think), there could be 35 to 40K for Tulane. Temple has never been in the position of exciting the city with its football product. Could be a watershed year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom