Who does CW most resemble? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who does CW most resemble?

Reaction Score
Yes...Odyssey Sims was who I thought of first.

No disrespect to Nykesha Sales, she was terrific during her time. The women today are much faster, quicker, stronger and more fundamentally sound. IMO you can't compare the two generations.

Would you say the same about Robertson, Bird, West? Nah, Nykesha was faster, quicker, and stronger then, and would be today ,also. I went to one game when she was just a freshman, and she was easily the best all-around player on the floor. I almost ended up watching just her, and all the different ways she impacted the game. Have to admit that I found myself surprised that a woman could play the game that way. I've been waiting a long time to see another Nykesha come along; maybe Williams can be that player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Grad1990, FYI Oscar Robertson was the first player to average a triple double for the entire season. Need a clutch shot from Harden, Jerry West made plenty for the Lakers.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Catwoman? Or is it Batwoman?

Reaction Score
Yes...Odyssey Sims was who I thought of first.

No disrespect to Nykesha Sales, she was terrific during her time. The women today are much faster, quicker, stronger and more fundamentally sound. IMO you can't compare the two generations.[/
Did you actually see Kesha play? She was as quick and fast as any UConn player. Check her 96-97 steal numbers and then go watch a replay of her 46 point game against Stanford.

Reaction Score
Did you actually see Kesha play? She was as quick and fast as any UConn player. Check her 96-97 steal numbers and then go watch a replay of her 46 point game against Stanford.

I think you are kind of missing the point.....Most all of the women Nykesha played against would not be fast enough, quick enough, strong enough, athletic enough or fundamentally sound enough to make a tier one division one program today. Anyone is going to look like a star when they play against athletes with lesser ability...which is what generations have the effect of doing to players.

That said, at her prime she would not be good enough to standout at a top tier division one basketball program today. The women have advanced more than the men....which only makes sense because the gap between the genders 20 years ago was greater.

I know from experience...I played Division 1 (mens) basketball 35 years ago and went on to make the European Professional cuts. I know, first hand, that at my prime I probably couldn't make a division III team today. Player skills & strength have advanced that much.

Most NBA players in the 80s couldn't make an NBA roster today, No one from the 60s and 70s, without exception except for a handful of "trees" (you can't teach height), could make an NBA roster today. Most of the players from the 60s would be hard pressed to make a good division one program today.

Any one who argues differently simply doesn't know what they are talking about.

And, for what it is worth....I used to scrimmage with Nykesha at the Hartford YMCA....she would sometimes show up. She was quiet, polite and very nice, and wasn't afraid to run the floor. She was smart though...she would never enter the lane where the 6'8" 250lbs players were. Always the short and mid range jumpers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Grad1990, FYI Oscar Robertson was the first player to average a triple double for the entire season. Need a clutch shot from Harden, Jerry West made plenty for the Lakers.

Big Deal. That was then. At their prime most of the players he played against (then) couldn't make a tier one division one team today.

Reaction Score
Big Deal. That was then. At their prime most of the players he played against (then) couldn't make a tier one division one team today.
If those guys were around now, with the preparations players make today, they'd still be the best. IMHO

Reaction Score
Would you say the same about Robertson, Bird, West? Nah, Nykesha was faster, quicker, and stronger then, and would be today ,also. I went to one game when she was just a freshman, and she was easily the best all-around player on the floor. I almost ended up watching just her, and all the different ways she impacted the game. Have to admit that I found myself surprised that a woman could play the game that way. I've been waiting a long time to see another Nykesha come along; maybe Williams can be that player.
I saw Sales play in a AAU Under 16 tourney when she was 14 and she was not only the best player in the tourney but the best all around HS player I had ever seen at that point.

Reaction Score
I think you are kind of missing the point.....Most all of the women Nykesha played against would not be fast enough, quick enough, strong enough, athletic enough or fundamentally sound enough to make a tier one division one program today. Anyone is going to look like a star when they play against athletes with lesser ability...which is what generations have the effect of doing to players.

That said, at her prime she would not be good enough to standout at a top tier division one basketball program today. The women have advanced more than the men....which only makes sense because the gap between the genders 20 years ago was greater.

I know from experience...I played Division 1 (mens) basketball 35 years ago and went on to make the European Professional cuts. I know, first hand, that at my prime I probably couldn't make a division III team today. Player skills & strength have advanced that much.

Most NBA players in the 80s couldn't make an NBA roster today, No one from the 60s and 70s, without exception except for a handful of "trees" (you can't teach height), could make an NBA roster today. Most of the players from the 60s would be hard pressed to make a good division one program today.

Any one who argues differently simply doesn't know what they are talking about.

And, for what it is worth....I used to scrimmage with Nykesha at the Hartford YMCA....she would sometimes show up. She was quiet, polite and very nice, and wasn't afraid to run the floor. She was smart though...she would never enter the lane where the 6'8" 250lbs players were. Always the short and mid range jumpers.
You mention skills and strength. Well those players of the past would be better today also than they were in their day. Otherwise, you're correct and you usually can't compare the past with the present for those reasons, unless you extrapolate and figure how older players would be today. Not just drop them into today's game as they were.

Reaction Score
Yes, I would. Particularly West and Robertson. At their best they couldn't make an NBA squad today.

West and Robertson would play in the NBA today. Oscar was a 6'5" athletic point guard for goodness sake.

I'm reminded of the story about a reporter and Ty Cobb. When asked by the reporter as to what he would hit if he were playing today, Cobb said he would hit .300. The reporter replied, "only .300 Mr. Cobb?" Cobb answered, "you have to remember, I'm over 60 years old."

Reaction Score
Maybe it is just me, because I have not seen anyone else mention it, but to the play and on-court manner of CW bears a strong resemblance to that of Nykesha Sales. The sudden changes of speed from fast to lightening fast, the graceful control of all her body movements, the versatility of her scoring weapons, and the total confidence that anything she tried was going to work. Anyone else get that impression?
After pondering your question and ruminating over it; I felt a light warm wind pass by my chair. Miracle, I thought!; or a divine revelation? Christyn Williams most reminds me of Christyn Williams, there is nor will there be another like her.

Reaction Score
She appears to be one of a kind...but remember, still a freshman starting out.......but man is she exciting to watch........and seems to be a real nice kid. Looking forward!!!!!!

Reaction Score
CW is our next Maya Moore. I know I know that sounds like crazy talk but I’m sticking with it.
I want everyone to see the difference in what a number 1 recruit should be, walker last year vs CW this year. Night and day.

Reaction Score
How Sophomore Recruit Christyn Williams Set The Tone For Stardom

This is an old article about Christyn Williams were ESPN during her recruitment, I’m guessing before she got a Uconn offer, a lot of college coaches said she reminds them of Jewell Loyd. After watching a few old Uconn games last night, I see a lot of Tiffany Hayes in Williams game.
I agree, she does remind me of Tiffany Hayes when she drives towards the basket, except she is better and avoid the trees very skillfully, also she shoots 3's with greater accuracy.

Reaction Score
CW is our next Maya Moore. I know I know that sounds like crazy talk but I’m sticking with it.
I want everyone to see the difference in what a number 1 recruit should be, walker last year vs CW this year. Night and day.

Could be....CW is very impressive.

I was really struck with her ability to get by Arike Ogunbowale whenever she wanted. It was effortless. I think that may be part of the reason for Arike's bad behavior at the end. CW made her look that bad and it was the main reason ND lost the game.

I expect that CW will be a three time All American, and, given that the team will need her to score over her four years....to be at or near the top of the all-time points list at UConn when her career is over.

I have great faith that Megan will be an All American and will go high in the WNBA draft. She still seems to lack confidence....I expect that to change significantly as the season goes by.

Reaction Score
Could be....CW is very impressive.

I was really struck with her ability to get by Arike Ogunbowale whenever she wanted. It was effortless. I think that may be part of the reason for Arike's bad behavior at the end. CW made her look that bad and it was the main reason ND lost the game.

I expect that CW will be a three time All American, and, given that the team will need her to score over her four years....to be at or near the top of the all-time points list at UConn when her career is over.

I have great faith that Megan will be an All American and will go high in the WNBA draft. She still seems to lack confidence....I expect that to change significantly as the season goes by.

I see no reason why CW can’t be named an All American this year, right now she looks like our 3rd best player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom