Who do we want to be the #2 & #3 seeds in UConn's bracket? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who do we want to be the #2 & #3 seeds in UConn's bracket?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If UConn is the #1 Overall Seed, and Baylor is the top #2 seed, can they be in the same bracket?

Yes. The NCAA has been quite clear that they don't just do a standard S-curve. They take into account both their evaluations of the teams, but also proximity, how big a fan base the team has, how much their fans travel, etc. As someone said above, it's possible but not likely.

I think it’s pretty clear that the 2 seed in the Albany bracket will be either TX or SC. Not really sure about the 3. But frankly, it really doesn’t matter imo, because UConn will overwhelm any opposing team at one of their many “homes away from home” at the TUC in Albany, before a packed house of Husky fans.

I will be mildly surprised if it's not Texas. Assuming Baylor remains a #2, we've got Louisville in Lexington, MSST in Kansas City, and Notre Dame in Spokane. South Carolina fans travel, so they are in Lexington. Oregon State in Spokane, which leaves Texas and Baylor. I would think they'd have to put Baylor with MSST and Texas with UConn. OSU-ND and MSST-Baylor seems pretty uneven, so I personally would put Baylor out west and OSU in KC. That would also (sort of) solve the problem of whether ND or Baylor is the last 1 seed, since they'd be in the same bracket.

I agree with the sentiment that we match up best against South Carolina. Of Creme's projected 3's, definitely Ohio State (I don't get them being a 3, but again, that's me), although I don't really see any of them being a problem.

We'll find out in a couple hours.

Last edited:

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Oregon (#2 seed) & Tennessee (possible #3 seed) to be in our region & I don't want Baylor or SC to be in our region.

Agree?
Disagree?
I still remember how happy I was in 2011 to see Notre Dame beat Tennessee to emerge as our FF opponent. So I'm hands off here.....

Reaction Score
If I'm a UCONN fan...I'd go with:
2 seed:
Want: South Carolina, a team that has never been able to keep it competitive against Connecticut and just doesn't match up well being somewhat of a one trick pony and they lack of perimeter scoring.

Avoid: Baylor they are by far the most imposing 2 seed with their near perfect record and quality play inside and out. Their freshmen guards almost scare me more than when they had Wallace because they're very quick and keep turnovers low.

Impartial: Oregon, I don't see them leaving Spokane but I wouldn't be too concerned about them. They have good talent but are young and I don't think they do anything particularly unique that could shake UCONN.

Texas, because despite having great guards and the first game, Holmes has really struggled in the front court and I think Geno comes up with a better game plan than Aston in round 2.

3 seeds:
Want: Ohio State, a team that has been throttled by UCONN in recent years and they just don't play defense. UCONN will have a field day against them.

Want: Tennessee, this is a team that should be on every UCONN fans wish list. The Vols have been struggling big time as the season's worn on, the freshmen seem to have hit a wall and Holly of course has no clue how to manage this. I think Tennessee is more of a 5-6 seed based on the eye test (and if you discredit their wins over SC), so I'm not sure they escape the 2nd round. Even if they do, I think they'll have a hard time playing Texas or Baylor or Oregon in the Sweet 16.

Avoid: Florida State, an interesting team who is capable of pulling off upsets (Louisville), but they also can coast and not be very good. The wild card factor combined with streaky scorers would scare me more than Ohio State or Tennessee. Plus Semrau is an underrated coach.

Avoid: UCLA, I'm not sure they can keep it close in a rematch with the Huskies, but they have good pieces in Canada and Billings who could make things interesting for the Huskies. Not a team I'd be particularly nervous about, but they'll be a tougher matchup than Tennessee or Ohio State.

Why do we want to play Tennessee? Tennessee is a third-division team over the past decade. Who cares if we play them? They're not in our league, let alone bracket.

They don't deserve to play us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just for fun, I took a look at Volnation. There’s a handful of Lady Vol fans hoping that TN ends up as a 4 seed in the Albany region. Their logic is a little perverse. They’re hoping the Huskies lay a major beat down on the Lady Vols, forcing Phil Fulmer to make a coaching change. :confused:

Reaction Score
Just worried about injuries. We might be a better team on paper. But last year's UConn team did not go into the tournament with all of these chronic and painful injuries.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just worried about injuries. We might be a better team on paper. But last year's UConn team did not go into the tournament with all of these chronic and painful injuries.
Kia was in a boot a couple weeks before the tournament, and she then set the all-time 3pt shooting record for the tournament.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Why do we want to play Tennessee? Tennessee is a third-division team over the past decade. Who cares if we play them? They're not in our league, let alone bracket.

Because they're an easier potential Elite 8 matchup than Florida State or UCLA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just for fun, I took a look at Volnation. There’s a handful of Lady Vol fans hoping that TN ends up as a 4 seed in the Albany region. Their logic is a little perverse. They’re hoping the Huskies lay a major beat down on the Lady Vols, forcing Phil Fulmer to make a coaching change. :confused:
Here’s hoping they face a beat down from Oregon State. Or Baylor. :D

Reaction Score
If I'm a UCONN fan...I'd go with:
2 seed:
Want: South Carolina, a team that has never been able to keep it competitive against Connecticut and just doesn't match up well being somewhat of a one trick pony and they lack of perimeter scoring.

Avoid: Baylor they are by far the most imposing 2 seed with their near perfect record and quality play inside and out. Their freshmen guards almost scare me more than when they had Wallace because they're very quick and keep turnovers low.

Impartial: Oregon, I don't see them leaving Spokane but I wouldn't be too concerned about them. They have good talent but are young and I don't think they do anything particularly unique that could shake UCONN.

Texas, because despite having great guards and the first game, Holmes has really struggled in the front court and I think Geno comes up with a better game plan than Aston in round 2.

3 seeds:
Want: Ohio State, a team that has been throttled by UCONN in recent years and they just don't play defense. UCONN will have a field day against them.

Want: Tennessee, this is a team that should be on every UCONN fans wish list. The Vols have been struggling big time as the season's worn on, the freshmen seem to have hit a wall and Holly of course has no clue how to manage this. I think Tennessee is more of a 5-6 seed based on the eye test (and if you discredit their wins over SC), so I'm not sure they escape the 2nd round. Even if they do, I think they'll have a hard time playing Texas or Baylor or Oregon in the Sweet 16.

Avoid: Florida State, an interesting team who is capable of pulling off upsets (Louisville), but they also can coast and not be very good. The wild card factor combined with streaky scorers would scare me more than Ohio State or Tennessee. Plus Semrau is an underrated coach.

Avoid: UCLA, I'm not sure they can keep it close in a rematch with the Huskies, but they have good pieces in Canada and Billings who could make things interesting for the Huskies. Not a team I'd be particularly nervous about, but they'll be a tougher matchup than Tennessee or Ohio State.
OK - you are definitely a latent UConn fan. You may not know it (yet), which is probably better, so you can retain your dignity. But... Let me ask... Do you have any UConn swag? Coffee cup? Post-it notes? Do you ever find yourself doodling the UConn logo? Do you privately think Diana Taurasi is kinda cool?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Agree - just for fun. Nothing could be more fun than absolutely kicking the dog cr*p out of them and leaving them for dead.

Not gonna happen this year though :(

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
OK - you are definitely a latent UConn fan. You may not know it (yet), which is probably better, so you can retain your dignity. But... Let me ask... Do you have any UConn swag? Coffee cup? Post-it notes? Do you ever find yourself doodling the UConn logo? Do you privately think Diana Taurasi is kinda cool?

Hahaha definitely not a UCONN fan. Just read this board too much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom