Who do we want to be the #2 & #3 seeds in UConn's bracket? | The Boneyard

Who do we want to be the #2 & #3 seeds in UConn's bracket?

Reaction Score
I would go for South Carolina and Florida State. We beat the former, and the latter is vulnerable.

I would not want to tangle with up-and-coming Oregon. I don't want us to go up against a team with big, strong post players. South Carolina has been incapable of integrating Wilson in the offense. That's why they're vulnerable to a well coached team. Tennessee would be OK, but I don't want to give them the opportunity, even if it means we beat them. Beneath Connecticut's dignity.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Oregon seems to be so wired for the west coast, I'm not sure why it makes sense to considier them.

I prefer SC over Baylor.
If UConn is the #1 Overall Seed, and Baylor is the top #2 seed, can they be in the same bracket?
But I also believe that the actual seeding doesn't really matter because of the numerous caveats the committee has at their disposal in order to create the fairest brackets.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If I'm a UCONN fan...I'd go with:
2 seed:
Want: South Carolina, a team that has never been able to keep it competitive against Connecticut and just doesn't match up well being somewhat of a one trick pony and they lack of perimeter scoring.

Avoid: Baylor they are by far the most imposing 2 seed with their near perfect record and quality play inside and out. Their freshmen guards almost scare me more than when they had Wallace because they're very quick and keep turnovers low.

Impartial: Oregon, I don't see them leaving Spokane but I wouldn't be too concerned about them. They have good talent but are young and I don't think they do anything particularly unique that could shake UCONN.

Texas, because despite having great guards and the first game, Holmes has really struggled in the front court and I think Geno comes up with a better game plan than Aston in round 2.

3 seeds:
Want: Ohio State, a team that has been throttled by UCONN in recent years and they just don't play defense. UCONN will have a field day against them.

Want: Tennessee, this is a team that should be on every UCONN fans wish list. The Vols have been struggling big time as the season's worn on, the freshmen seem to have hit a wall and Holly of course has no clue how to manage this. I think Tennessee is more of a 5-6 seed based on the eye test (and if you discredit their wins over SC), so I'm not sure they escape the 2nd round. Even if they do, I think they'll have a hard time playing Texas or Baylor or Oregon in the Sweet 16.

Avoid: Florida State, an interesting team who is capable of pulling off upsets (Louisville), but they also can coast and not be very good. The wild card factor combined with streaky scorers would scare me more than Ohio State or Tennessee. Plus Semrau is an underrated coach.

Avoid: UCLA, I'm not sure they can keep it close in a rematch with the Huskies, but they have good pieces in Canada and Billings who could make things interesting for the Huskies. Not a team I'd be particularly nervous about, but they'll be a tougher matchup than Tennessee or Ohio State.

Reaction Score
absolutely not possible for Baylor to be in UConn's bracket unless UConn plays a double header this afternoon and loses both games.

Don't think UCLA comes out this way, but a beat-down of the Bruins might help with recruiting Ezi.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As Geno suggested about 10 days ago, it's bad karma to say who you want to face. I'm not going there.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nobody really seems to have considered Texas as the possible #2 seed in Albany. I think UConn would win that game, but it's not a particularly favorable matchup.

The possibility that I like least is to have Texas as the #2 in Albany, Baylor as the 4th #1 seed or top #2 seed so that UConn would face them in the National Semifinals (unless Notre Dame is kind enough to knock them off), and then Mississippi State (most likely) in the Final. That would be a lot of physical play against Big Bigs. But if that is the path that UConn has to take, no one can say that they won't have earned a 12th NC if they win against that level of opposition.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If I'm a UCONN fan...I'd go with:
2 seed:
Want: South Carolina, a team that has never been able to keep it competitive against Connecticut and just doesn't match up well being somewhat of a one trick pony and they lack of perimeter scoring.

Avoid: Baylor they are by far the most imposing 2 seed with their near perfect record and quality play inside and out. Their freshmen guards almost scare me more than when they had Wallace because they're very quick and keep turnovers low.

Impartial: Oregon, I don't see them leaving Spokane but I wouldn't be too concerned about them. They have good talent but are young and I don't think they do anything particularly unique that could shake UCONN.

Texas, because despite having great guards and the first game, Holmes has really struggled in the front court and I think Geno comes up with a better game plan than Aston in round 2.

3 seeds:
Want: Ohio State, a team that has been throttled by UCONN in recent years and they just don't play defense. UCONN will have a field day against them.

Want: Tennessee, this is a team that should be on every UCONN fans wish list. The Vols have been struggling big time as the season's worn on, the freshmen seem to have hit a wall and Holly of course has no clue how to manage this. I think Tennessee is more of a 5-6 seed based on the eye test (and if you discredit their wins over SC), so I'm not sure they escape the 2nd round. Even if they do, I think they'll have a hard time playing Texas or Baylor or Oregon in the Sweet 16.

Avoid: Florida State, an interesting team who is capable of pulling off upsets (Louisville), but they also can coast and not be very good. The wild card factor combined with streaky scorers would scare me more than Ohio State or Tennessee. Plus Semrau is an underrated coach.

Avoid: UCLA, I'm not sure they can keep it close in a rematch with the Huskies, but they have good pieces in Canada and Billings who could make things interesting for the Huskies. Not a team I'd be particularly nervous about, but they'll be a tougher matchup than Tennessee or Ohio State.
This is probably the best synopsis I've read on the topic, and pretty much mirrors sentiments exactly...

My "wish" for 2 seeds are in this order: SC, Oregon, Texas, Baylor
3-seeds: tOSU, Tenn, UCLA, FSU

For all the reasons the excellent analysis by bballnut mentioned...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Oregon (#2 seed) & Tennessee (possible #3 seed) to be in our region & I don't want Baylor or SC to be in our region.

Agree?
Disagree?
I'd kind of like to see Baylor and Miss St. play each other in the semi's. Be interesting to see Brown vs McCowan.

Oregon would be cool to play. Nice to play somebody different.

Reaction Score
I think it depends on what type of fan you are. Some fans want (and I believe) UConn to get the easiest bracket. Which they deserve for being the overall number 1. Other fans want UConn to get a tough bracket so they can watch their team destroy teams that they don't match up with in the regular season. I hope there's a balance. This year should be fun

Reaction Score
If UConn is the #1 Overall Seed, and Baylor is the top #2 seed, can they be in the same bracket?

Yes, but highly highly unlikely since it would be hard to create balanced brackets after that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it’s pretty clear that the 2 seed in the Albany bracket will be either TX or SC. Not really sure about the 3. But frankly, it really doesn’t matter imo, because UConn will overwhelm any opposing team at one of their many “homes away from home” at the TUC in Albany, before a packed house of Husky fans.

Reaction Score
UCONN Fans, it may be moot who is #2 or #3 in UCONN's bracket. There will be "upsets", and UCONN may not face the #2 or #3 seed. Any of the supposed #2 seeds can be beat by higher seeded teams this year.

Reaction Score
When wishing for S.C,: I watched all three of their games in the sec tourney and came away thinking that their guard play is much better than when we played them earlier this year.Right now,i see them as about ten points better than Texas if they played on a neutral court.When a team is good at every position,(Uconn), i don't think particular match-ups are as important so therefore,i would prefer to play Texas rather than S.C. Harris,in particular was playing all-american type basketball by the conclusion of the tourney and a couple of other guards were shooting from distance much better than earlier in the year.I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the final four if they are in any other bracket but Albany.

Reaction Score
This is probably the best synopsis I've read on the topic, and pretty much mirrors sentiments exactly...

My "wish" for 2 seeds are in this order: SC, Oregon, Texas, Baylor
3-seeds: tOSU, Tenn, UCLA, FSU

For all the reasons the excellent analysis by bballnut mentioned...

Make mine a triple agreement with the OP.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The 2 seed will either be SC or Texas. Oregon is rated too high to play the top team, and they came east last year (as did UCLA) so doubt the Committee would send them east again this year. Baylor is practically a one seed and they aren`t coming here either.

Pacific44 makes some great points about rather playing Texas than SC, but I would still prefer to see SC. (As far as 3 seeds go, no strong opinion, UConn would handle any of them without trouble).

We have shown an ability to contain Wilson and I don`t think SC can score enough to win against UConn without a huge game from her. Texas is more physical. The Albany Regional Final is on a Monday night, March 26, and the Final Four begins Friday, March 30. Not much time for the bruises to heal.

Hoping they then play the winner from Spokane, who also plays on March 26. (The other Regional Finals are March 25.)

Reaction Score
I don't care who we get with one exception, I want to whup up on Tennessee. Please give us the Vols.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't want Baylor or Notre Dame in the Bracket. Suppose I don't care who the 3 seed is, as most likely they'll be beat by the #2 Seed. Especially if Baylor or Notre Dame are the #2 Seeds. Another Team I wouldn't want to see as a #2 Seed is Texas. UConn won a close Road Game against Texas with minimal contribution by Joyner Holmes. I do think UConn wins the game against Texas, but they could pull off the upset.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom