Who can't we afford to lose? | The Boneyard

Who can't we afford to lose?

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I've been thinking a lot about our loss last year. What a bummer. We deserved it right?!

Then I think to the championships we have won where maybe we didn't deserve to win (what the heck happened to BAYLOR?)

Menwhile, I keep asking well why didn't we win last year? There are a hundred views on the fact that we just couldn't get it done. But looking back at all 11 championships we did win I found one really strong outlier....the POINT GUARD.

EVERY ONE of our 11 NC winning seasons we've had such a strong PG...from Jen to Bird to Diana to Renee to Bria to Jefferson. Etc etc etc (in my best Yul B voice lol)

So last year I think we all agree Guns Dangerfield (yes, I still love that name!) was just not where we needed her to be for a concrete win. And Geno didn't trust her.

So it's logical to me that without such a strong PG to pace the game and to call the plays and to help run the offense that we simply fell short.

That brings me to this: who on this year's squad can we absolutely not win another NC without? I mean wouldn't the obvious answer be someone like Lou or Gabby? Even Nurse!?

IMO I think the only correct answer is Dangerfield. We need her now more than ever and without her I just simply don't think we win.

She may not be the most athletic, the best scorer, the best defender. Those jobs are pretty much cemented. But wow what a HUGE sophomore leap she has made and I'm so glad she did. We do not sit in 1st without her hands down.

Bc you know what? It will come with another NC...mark my words.

What do you guys think? If not Dangerfield than who? There's no right answer...but I'm sure many of our posters have some good opinions on the subject :D

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I've been thinking a lot about our loss last year. What a bummer. We deserved it right?!

Then I think to the championships we have won where maybe we didn't deserve to win (what the heck happened to BAYLOR?)

Menwhile, I keep asking well why didn't we win last year? There are a hundred views on the fact that we just couldn't get it done. But looking back at all 11 championships we did win I found one really strong outlier....the POINT GUARD.

EVERY ONE of our 11 NC winning seasons we've had such a strong PG...from Jen to Bird to Diana to Renee to Bria to Jefferson. Etc etc etc (in my best Yul B voice lol)

So last year I think we all agree Guns Dangerfield (yes, I still love that name!) was just not where we needed her to be for a concrete win. And Geno didn't trust her.

So it's logical to me that without such a strong PG to pace the game and to call the plays and to help run the offense that we simply fell short.

That brings me to this: who on this year's squad can we absolutely not win another NC without? I mean wouldn't the obvious answer be someone like Lou or Gabby? Even Nurse!?

IMO I think the only correct answer is Dangerfield. We need her now more than ever and without her I just simply don't think we win.

She may not be the most athletic, the best scorer, the best defender. Those jobs are pretty much cemented. But wow what a HUGE sophomore leap she has made and I'm so glad she did. We do not sit in 1st without her hands down.

What do you guys think? If not Dangerfield than who? There's no right answer...but I'm sure many of our posters have some good opinions on the subject :D

You guys could lose anyone, or even 2 players, and still would be the overwhelming favorite to win the championship.

If you lose any of the starting 5, you slide in Stevens and go with a taller lineup. If you lose Nurse or Dangerfield, the other can handle PG duties. Honestly I think Gabby would do fine in that role as a backup when the starting PG takes a breather. I think Walker is also a more capable scorer and all around player than she's shown thus far, she's just deferred to the upperclassmen. Likely the same for 1-2 of the other freshmen who are low on the depth chart. They're probably solid players and capable of making contributions, but with so much depth there isn't a need for them this year.

A lot of other programs have 1 post presence, or 1 capable PG, or 1 outside scoring threat, etc. and when that player goes down, they're much more vulnerable. That's not the case at UCONN this season, as you have multiple players who do multiple things well, so as a result, no single player is invaluable.

Reaction Score

Not that I am superstitious, but let me suggest another related topic for discussion. At the end of last year, we had everyone playing but overall the team was a bit gassed and fighting injuries. Kia in particular could barely walk on her ankle, Katie Lou seemed to be fighting her ongoing foot issues, and Dangerfield was coming back from stress fracture. Geno only playing 6 so none were rested. Quick competitive guards were taking advantage of our uncharacteristic slower foot speed on defense. My question is how do we keep from a repeat performance particularly with Crystal, KLS and potentially others fighting similar issues.

Reaction Score
I would pick from Lou, Gabby or Pheesa. Lou stabilizes from the offensive side, Gabby from the defensive side, and Pheesa just does everything to be that compliment on both sides (rebounds, blocks, steals, score...) Yes Nurse's overall game can not be replaced by another single player either... so maybe we should make it the four of them. I would add Z but need to see her close down a big without fouling because that, despite all the tremendous gifts she posses, is the most important attribute that this team needs come playoff time. The USC game will tell us a lot. Well.... Dangerfield would have helped (this year's version) on that last play against MS, and adds an important person regarding handling the ball so her too : - )

I guess as you go through the tournament, players have bad games and why a team is needed : - )

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Given the strong and big post players on other Top 10 teams (McGowan, Russell, Kalani Brown, the Longhorn committee, and of course A'ja Wilson), the player whom UConn can least afford to lose is Azura Stevens.

I haven't seen the replay of the ND-South Carolina game (if it even exists), but I guess somehow the Irish were able to deal with Wilson/Jennings without a real post presence of their own. But I wouldn't count on that happening as often as it probably will need to happen to win the NC.

Reaction Score
Some people may think this thread is asking who can we do with out .......Agree with titletown thread is not necessary

Last edited:
Reaction Score

There is no denying anything you say about the final 2017 game last season--no way to prove or disprove.
I'm not fond of the continually saying last game last year GENO didn't trust Dangerfield. He had to trust her MORE than other Frosh because he played her. Is she light years ahead this year --YOU BET!!

The simple answer to who MUST Uconn have this year, i.e. who can Uconn NOT do without??
Simple answer anyone of the first 7 or 8 and maybe 10 depending on the game, the foul trouble, the opponent.
There you go again: "She may not be the most athletic, the best scorer, the best defender. Those jobs are pretty much cemented. But wow what a HUGE sophomore leap she has made and I'm so glad she did. We do not sit in 1st without her hands down." SHE IS A SOPH--PLAYING WITH SENIORS, JUNIOR WITH YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. Yet she is probably one of the tip 5 PG's in the country--by April THE BEST!!

Reaction Score
While it is all subjective projection, I would say we cannot afford to lose anyone. Potentially changes. The starting line up if it would be a starter who goes down. Changes the rotation, changes the depth which all goes to change the chemistry. Can't go out to the waiver wire, free agent listing or trade on this level. Losing anyone is a big deal. If it would happen, hopefully we can handle it....

Reaction Score
I believe with this year's team, UConn can lose any 1 player right now for the rest of the season and still win the NC. Good balanced teams make the adjustments of missing that 1 player and move on.

Reaction Score
I don't want to think about losing one of theses great players, as I enjoy watching them all play.
My one wish, we are all going to soon see Megan Walker unleashed, and thats going to be a Uconn fan's next thrill and the WBB world's next nightmare.

Reaction Score
Just a nit, but in the opening post you left out the actual point guard for Di, Maria Conlon who if I recall played 40 minutes against Tennessee without turnover.

Reaction Score
Collier nominated to espnW player of the week. First for Uconn this season. Jasmyne Harris won outright this week.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Interesting post all the way, but I really loved the King and I allusion

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

What happened to Baylor was the same thing that happened to UCONN, and her name is Morgan William.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no need for this thread! Are you tempting the basketball gods?

Some people may think this thread is asking who can we do with out ..Agree with titletown thread is not necessary
Agree, don't touch the money until it is your's..............

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Given the strong and big post players on other Top 10 teams (McGowan, Russell, Kalani Brown, the Longhorn committee, and of course A'ja Wilson), the player whom UConn can least afford to lose is Azura Stevens.

I haven't seen the replay of the ND-South Carolina game (if it even exists), but I guess somehow the Irish were able to deal with Wilson/Jennings without a real post presence of their own. But I wouldn't count on that happening as often as it probably will need to happen to win the NC.

I agree completely. UCONN needs a player of size this season as there are a number of bigs in WCBB who have only gotten better since last season. Without Stevens, UCONN would have a hard time containing McCowan (McGowan plays Morehead State) or Brown. I am not saying that UCONN could not win without her, but it would be a tougher row to hoe.

BTW, maybe last season was more about what MSU did right, not what UCONN did wrong. They did it to UCONN and Baylor. In the words of David Bellamy to Baker Mayfield, humble yourself.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The Danger of Loosing Crystal would be horrific. We need a steady experienced point guard. Kia can handle it but Crystal is the future and she needs the playtime/experience and Kias leadership to become better. Bent and Coombs need to get experience forbit something happens to Crystal or Kia or forbid both. Guards make the team run and the team runs based on the guards.

Reaction Score

100% agree, Geno would prefer to beat size with speed and athletic ability but he knows he has to have someone tall in his back pocket to deal with teams that can, and do occasionally, take control of the paint.

Reaction Score
Wow I almost forget Crystal is still a sophermer. I still think she should be ranked #1 in her HS class.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve never been a “bad mojo” guy, but as others have suggested, I don’t really see the need for this thread. Championship teams find a way to overcome adversity. ND has lost 4 players this season and they’re still #2 in the nation.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Also--minor note, but UCONN didn't have strong point guard play on a couple of championship teams. 2010 won with Doty as PG (6.8 points, 3.5 assists, 38% FG, 32% 3pt) and 2013 had somewhat of a committee manning the position I believe, with Jefferson/Doty/Hartley all sharing duties. Jefferson was far from the player she'd become, as she averaged just 4 points per game off the bench. Doty averaged just 3 points per game, and Hartley averaged 9 points and under 4 assists per game. PG was definitely the weak spot on that team when you consider the other main players were Stewart, KML, Faris and Dolson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom