Who Can Beat UConn & How To Do It | The Boneyard

Who Can Beat UConn & How To Do It

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Meh. Mostly generalized, not many specifics.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I've seen articles of this general ilk for the past five years and they all say basically the same thing, a team has to be able to score with Connecticut, blah, blah, blah. While people can pontificate on how to beat Connecticut in internet blogs and on sports pages, obviously no WCBB coach has figured out how to do it yet.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I disagree with alot said in this article. UConn didnt have Kia Nurse in their first game in Fl and that wasnt mentioned. BTW UConn is more of a team now then they were then. Against MD at MD UConn was up 19 and with the lead got in foul trouble while MD didnt?????? Gotta wonder. Tulane hey it happens. So going into the NCAAs I dont see UConn losing as long as they stay out of foul trouble. Now with that said Uconn has had its injuries and starters sitting in games. Heck Nurse has been out for a while and UConn continues to win. So no excuses. UConn is much better now then they were in November much much better. How do you beat UConn? You play better defense. See when UConn was in foul trouble at MD they were defenseless. They couldnt play defense. So if you want to beat UConn play defense dont think your going to get them in foul trouble because you just may not. Play defense and so far nobodys defense has stopped them in the last 104 games. IMO it will be fluke when UConn does loose. When will that be? Well with next seasons transfers and incoming class it might be a very long time from now. The year following I will only say this that class led my Collier 6'5 verbal will be really good.

Reaction Score
Tony, you made a crucial point right after the MD game and I'm glad to see you made it again: UConn was literally defenseless for a period of time in that game because of the fouls. I really don't remember the last time the team looked that way against any opponent. If they can keep that from happening (and I have to believe Geno and staff has shown them that video over and over) they should do okay.

Reaction Score
Well I disagree with alot said in this article. UConn didnt have Kia Nurse in their first game in Fl and that wasnt mentioned. BTW UConn is more of a team now then they were then. Against MD at MD UConn was up 19 and with the lead got in foul trouble while MD didnt?????? Gotta wonder. Tulane hey it happens. So going into the NCAAs I dont see UConn losing as long as they stay out of foul trouble. Now with that said Uconn has had its injuries and starters sitting in games. Heck Nurse has been out for a while and UConn continues to win. So no excuses. UConn is much better now then they were in November much much better. How do you beat UConn? You play better defense. See when UConn was in foul trouble at MD they were defenseless. They couldnt play defense. So if you want to beat UConn play defense dont think your going to get them in foul trouble because you just may not. Play defense and so far nobodys defense has stopped them in the last 104 games. IMO it will be fluke when UConn does loose. When will that be? Well with next seasons transfers and incoming class it might be a very long time from now. The year following I will only say this that class led my Collier 6'5 verbal will be really good.

Uconn didn't have Nurse for the first game?? I believe she played

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Tony's point about foul trouble. It hurt us against Florida State, Baylor, Maryland, and Tulane. If we are healthy and don't get in foul trouble, I like our chances.

Generally, the formula for a UConn loss includes some combination of illness, foul trouble, a good game plan, disciplined and athletic players, and some luck.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
1. Get them in foul trouble. There is no depth and the drop off is huge, especially if you can get Williams or Collier to pick up 2 quick ones. Be very physical and force the ref to make calls.

2. Hit perimeter shots. This is why teams like Notre Dame and Maryland have played Connecticut closely over the last couple of seasons.

3. All out hustle and effort, especially grabbing rebounds. So many times you'll see Connecticut get a loose ball, or grab a rebound that the opposing team should have grabbed but they were just out hustled. You have to match the Huskies intensity and effort on both ends. Box out hard, and go for everything.

4. Guards who can penetrate and create. Besides losing a couple of times to Baylor led by Griner, the only times Connecticut has lost have been to teams led by guards who can drive the ball and finish in the lane or hit pull-up jumpers. Diggins, Pohlen, McBride, Orrange/Thompson, etc.

5. Get the Huskies in a tight high pressure situation in the final possession. If you can do this, you have a great chance to win. Connecticut isn't used to it, and historically has not executed well in late game single possession games. Notre Dame won nearly every close game against the Huskies from 2011-2013, Stanford outplayed Connecticut down the stretch and in OT in 2014 , and the late game management by UCONN against FSU this year was very mediocre. Get them in that situation, and you have a good shot to pull the upset.

Problem is, it's very hard to get to this point. Typically a hen opposing teams make runs to tighten the gap, there are still a few minutes left and the Huskies execute well in the possessions leading up to the final minute. In result, the game isn't in question when real crunch time hits.

Reaction Score
Perhaps it isn't how to beat Uconn; afterall, how difficult can it be-- just score one more point. The last bracket floating around has some very good teams both early and late for Uconn. Some of these teams-- ND and MD are contenders for the NC, others (OH, Tenn, etc) are teams that are capable of putting together a big game because of their personnel. The latter may not be good enough to win the NC, but, they are quite capable of putting one big game together to send anyone home. Let us not pretend that Geno and staff are not hiding some of our short-comings. William and Collier will have to be our work horses again and, Chong will have to be a 3pt threat (meaning she will have to hunt shots to take some pressure off Williams and Collier and KLS). It is clear that KLS is being forced to shoot with people glued to her and it has caused problems for her despite the occasional drives to the basket. It is a lot more even this time around than we are admitting.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
So we expect UConn to win it all this season... I thought the Elite Eight-Final Four was good enough!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Unless UConn have a scoring drought, and the other team take advantage and score more, I don't see it. All 7 players can score, and you do not know who will have an awesome game. Gabby - (Notre Dame and South Carolina), Kia - (DePaul) and Crystal - (Baylor).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom