Who are the top coaches (besides Geno)? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who are the top coaches (besides Geno)?

Reaction Score
Don't know about any of the others, but Tara casts a wide net when it comes to recruiting. They've had plenty of players from California over the years, but draw in players from all over the country routinely. I'd say the school's reputation in academics and athletics aids them in recruiting more than the fact they are in California.
Stanford’s academics also probably restrict them in some recruiting too.

Reaction Score
Stanford’s academics also probably restrict them in some recruiting too.
Academics restrict them a lot. Players must meet strict academic standards to be admitted to the school. Scholarships are not offered prior to admission.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes - one of the good things is it is looking at who's good and still coaching, not trying to compare across different eras and (even worse) different sports.

Opinions vary, because everyone named here and claimed good is good - this is about separating the good and the better and the best (not named Geno).

Incidentally, I think CVS deserves her due as a good coach, as well. Her winning percentage and NCAA successes are no worse than others of the "good" coaches, and she deserves credit for her defensive innovations and building of multiple programs in different eras and in her prime she was an excellent recruiter.
You bring up an excellent point, I just looked at her coaching resume and she’s only had 3 losing seasons at 3 different programs (last year was number 5). I put her higher than Sylvia (who blew a 15 point lead against an underaged Mercer yesterday at home no less) and putting aside my animus towards her from the BE days. I agree she deserves mention as an outside consideration. I am happy to see the team start off so well this year and am rooting for he to get the 1000 this year. I politely tip my cap to her for a career well achieved!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well I think Muffet is one of the great coaches because she has consistently kept Notre Dame in the top five despite injuries. Also Dawn is imo a definitively top 5 coach. She has built two programs from being the bottom of their leagues to multiple team and conference champions. First at Temple, but more impressively, she is on run of 4 consecutive SEC titles which is even a greater feat given the traditional teams and programs she had to overcome to reach this level of dominance. She has also experienced similar type of success in every USA basketball team she has led which is not a foregone conclusion with our developmental teams given some recent disappointments. Finally, imo coaches know coaches and despite some's disdain for her style, Geno and Pat summit endorsed her coaching acumen in differing ways as she has progressed through her career. Her numbers rival a lot of the top coaches at this stage of her career.
Muffet is absolutely on the “Mount Rushmore” though her “chink in the armor” is only 1 NC despite her always being in contention. That said, SHE’s ALWAYS IN CONTENTION!
Dawn is interesting in that yes, she has built 2 programs but the jury must still be out on SC as A’ja made the really relevant. Dawn needs to sustain it and at the moment, I am unsure how the next few years will play out “post” the post :)p). She’s in consideration at 5/6.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Since the OP didn't specify head coaches, here's my list:

1. Tara
2. Muffet
3. Christine Dailey
4. Rueck

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Naturally, like in any job, there are some who are better than others. And, yes, some luck is involved too. But, I believe the biggest factor is: you are only as good as your players. As has been stated many times, Geno is great at recruiting NOT necessarily, the best players, but the best ones who FIT into his program.
Some of you remember Casey Stengel, who managed those great Yankee teams of the 1950's. .........THEN, he managed the early Met teams, filled with rookies and "Over the Hill" players.
The team set a Major League record for losses.....WHY?...The players on the rosters.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't feel qualified to judge the best, but:

Vic Shaefer and Doug Bruno consistently build teams that are a blast to watch. MS State play with so much defensive intensity, DePaul so much offensive intensity.

Doug Bruno and Gary Blair give great interviews. I remember when A&M were playing Baylor for the fourth time in one year, in the NCAA tourney, having lost the first three, Blair was asked how he got his players up for the game, how he convinced them they could win. He said something to the effect, these are intelligent girls, I'm not gonna lie to them and tell them we have a chance to beat Baylor, I just told 'em to go out and have fun. That wouldn't have been nearly as funny if they hadn't won the game.

Reaction Score
I'm an Oregon State Homer, but I am so impressed with Scott Rueck. This guy can flat out teach, and watch out for Rueck over the next few years. OSU's recruiting is improving every year, and future looks very bright at OSU. I like Rueck's quiet confidence, and, he always praises his kids. His kids play hard for him, and, they have been improving every game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Worth noting that Opinions can be wrong.
Actually, I disagree. Opinions are:

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun
noun: opinion; plural noun: opinions
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    "I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"
    synonyms: belief, judgment, thought(s), (way of) thinking, mind, (point of) view, viewpoint, outlook, attitude, stance, position, perspective, persuasion, standpoint; More: sentiment, conception, conviction
Origin
upload_2017-12-30_10-39-20.png

Middle English: via Old French from Latin opinio(n-), from the stem of opinari ‘think, believe.’

An opinion, therefore, can't be wrong.

Reaction Score
Actually, I disagree. Opinions are:

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun
noun: opinion; plural noun: opinions
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    "I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"
    synonyms: belief, judgment, thought(s), (way of) thinking, mind, (point of) view, viewpoint, outlook, attitude, stance, position, perspective, persuasion, standpoint; More: sentiment, conception, conviction
Origin
View attachment 27348
Middle English: via Old French from Latin opinio(n-), from the stem of opinarithink, believe.’

An opinion, therefore, can't be wrong.

This is gonna venture into an OT topic, but its synonyms are beliefs, judgments, thoughts.

Suppose someone posted "the holocaust didn't happen." Could we not criticize that person?

Yes, people are free to say what they want. But others are also allowed to tell that person s/he's an idiot, subject to BY decorum. "It's my opinion" is not a get-out-jail-free-card.

Reaction Score
Dawn still needs to show what she can win big without A'ja Wilson before I would place her among the top five coaches
in WBB.........her Olympic success is expected, any losses would be a real negative

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is gonna venture into an OT topic, but its synonyms are beliefs, judgments, thoughts.

Suppose someone posted "the holocaust didn't happen." Could we not criticize that person?

Yes, people are free to say what they want. But others are also allowed to tell that person s/he's an idiot, subject to BY decorum. "It's my opinion" is not a get-out-jail-free-card.
You're citing an example of a statement of fact, not an opinion. The Holocaust can be verified; there is physical, tangible proof.

An opinion is "Muffet McGraw is a better coach than Dawn Staley", which is an expression of belief or judgement. There is no objective way to verify whether or not the statement is correct.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Let me give a shout out to my alma mater's coach -- Robin Pingeton at Mizzou. While she wouldn't enter the conversation re elite WCBB coaches, she might crack the Top 25 and is certainly an up-and-comer. Coach of the Year in the SEC last year, finishing third (behind the two teams that played for the NC) and beat South Carolina. Missouri was a doormat in WCBB for years, and recruiting was dismal. She's stringing some decent seasons together with one or two Top 100 recruits and some spirited role players. Her efforts to build a fan base and attendance reminds me of Geno's efforts back in the late 80's and early 90's. Her teams play hard, improve over the course of the season, and, when their 3-pointers are dropping, they can be competitive with almost anybody.

Missouri can't attract Top 10 talent that hungers for a NC yet, but the program is getting a reputation as a great place to play with a fun, family atmosphere.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm an Oregon State Homer, but I am so impressed with Scott Rueck. This guy can flat out teach, and watch out for Rueck over the next few years. OSU's recruiting is improving every year, and future looks very bright at OSU. I like Rueck's quiet confidence, and, he always praises his kids. His kids play hard for him, and, they have been improving every game.
I'm on board with ya.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You're citing an example of a statement of fact, not an opinion. The Holocaust can be verified; there is physical, tangible proof.

An opinion is "Muffet McGraw is a better coach than Dawn Staley", which is an expression of belief or judgement. There is no objective way to verify whether or not the statement is correct.
Thank you, Nan, for pointing this out.

Reaction Score
Dawn still needs to show what she can win big without A'ja Wilson before I would place her among the top five coaches
in WBB....her Olympic success is expected, any losses would be a real negative

Charliebball- - - right on! In Geno's 1st year as USA Team HC he said these are the best of the best, this isn't missile science, You don't over-coach, the players need discipline and order in their play, and let their skills take over! A HC in this situation says the Olympic HC prayer, Please God don't let me F--- this up!
That's why Anne Donovan winning an Olympic Championship isn't a major +! You really have to mess up with that amount of talent!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

No, you have the right to disagree with a poster. You don't have the right to say another person is an idiot just because you think you are some sort of superior intellect. You aren't and you don't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom