Who are the most underrated and overrated coaches and other questions (survey of coaches) | The Boneyard

Who are the most underrated and overrated coaches and other questions (survey of coaches)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This one is funny.

Question 5: What coach would you most want to go grab a beer with?

1. Wes Moore, NC State

2. Doug Bruno, DePaul

3. Holly Warlick, Tennessee :oops: Would it really be fun around FF time ??

Honorable mentions:
Geno Auriemma, UConn
Mike Neighbors, Arkansas

Reaction Score
1. Couldn't agree more with #2. 2. Nice to see her peers give Shea Ralph the respect she deserves. 3. And great to see that the people that should know rate Walker higher than a lot of people in her own team's fan base.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So you are saying in reality, she is as bad as they think she is?

fifth.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
.... 3. And great to see that the people that should know rate Walker higher than a lot of people in her own team's fan base.

Very strangely worded question.

I think if forces the voters to mix the talent of the player, the amount of years the players have left and the chances of the team they are already on (which I am not sure if that was the intent?) Different people probably interpreted the question differently. :confused:

Question 8: You have the #1 pick in a draft of every current college player (in their current class). Who do you pick with the goal of winning a national championship before they graduate?

1. Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon

2. Megan Walker, UConn

3. Satou Sabally, Oregon

Honorable mentions:
Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame
Sophie Cunningham, Missouri

Reaction Score
I'd swap McCallie with Lindsay Gottlieb.

Cori Close is #3 on the overrated list and UCLA is #3 on "best jobs......". Can't say I disagree.

Reaction Score
Very strangely worded question.

I think if forces the voters to mix the talent of the player, the amount of years the players have left and the chances of the team they are already on (which I am not sure if that was the intent?) Different people probably interpreted the question differently. :confused:

Question 8: You have the #1 pick in a draft of every current college player (in their current class). Who do you pick with the goal of winning a national championship before they graduate?

1. Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon

2. Megan Walker, UConn

3. Satou Sabally, Oregon

Honorable mentions:
Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame
Sophie Cunningham, Missouri
I read it differently. Most coaches' egos allow them to believe that, given the right talent they can lead a team to the title. And this is their chance to choose the one kid to build their team around. And obviously they wouldn't choose a senior or junior because there wouldn't be time to build.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I read it differently. Most coaches' egos allow them to believe that, given the right talent they can lead a team to the title. And this is their chance to choose the one kid to build their team around. And obviously they wouldn't choose a senior or junior because there wouldn't be time to build.

Thanks for proving my point. No 2 people will interpret this question exactly the same. Two seniors are Honorable Mention. If it's a pure talent and underclassman issue only, I would think Chennedy Carter would be high up on the list especially for a ego driven coach who would feel they are capable of taming her 'rough edges'.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This one is funny.

Question 5: What coach would you most want to go grab a beer with?

1. Wes Moore, NC State

2. Doug Bruno, DePaul

3. Holly Warlick, Tennessee :oops: Would it really be fun around FF time ??

Honorable mentions:
Geno Auriemma, UConn
Mike Neighbors, Arkansas

For me Doug would be far and away #1. Holly to me just doesn’t seem that interesting. Gary Blair is another who might be fun to have a few drinks with.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
For me Doug would be far and away #1. Holly to me just doesn’t seem that interesting. Gary Blair is another who might be fun to have a few drinks with.
I like them both. Another coach who seems interesting is Jose Fernandez from USF. And having a good beer is intrinsically appealing, so any of those three will do! :D

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
This might be worth some discussion. Can't disagree with the underrated and overrated selections, although I might add Vic Schaefer to the underrated list.

Coaches get candid: Anonymous NCAA coach survey
I think they figured that after consecutive trips to the National Championship game, Vic is sufficiently famous that he cannot be underrated.

Reaction Score
I’m glad people realize how overrated Karen Aston is. One of many talent wasters in NCAA women’s basketball.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I think the overrated question detracts from the poll. No reason to be disrespectful to a coach.
I'm actually surprised they were able to get coaches to answer that question. Even anonymously, it seems unlikely that any coach would diss another in that way. The survey says that they "contacted 235 Division 1 programs to ask them nine questions about the upcoming season under the condition of complete anonymity", but they didn't say how many responses they received. I'll bet many responses did not include an answer to that question.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If the coaches rank Megan between Sabrina and Arike, I’d say they are giving Meg a lot of respect.

Just wait until they see Squeaks!!! :)

Reaction Score
I like them both. Another coach who seems interesting is Jose Fernandez from USF. And having a good beer is intrinsically appealing, so any of those three will do! :D

The most interesting reply to any question was Holly of Tn. I infer from the answer to the question is that Holly may be a good conversationalist and a bit more fun than I would expect. It probably is the source of her inability to get 140 percent from her players--she's a pal and not into real coaching.
But if I were to want a glass of wine with a very nicer person--it would be Doug B. Proving you can be nice and successful. Please note: Winning an NC is great but not necessary to be a successful coach (just me).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Mike Neighbors was always entertaining in press conferences during his time in Seattle. I imagine he'd be fun to grab a beer with. But I'm still a little mad at him for the way he left the cupboard bare at UW.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised at where they ranked Megan.At this point, she would barely ,make my list, though I'm hoping she has a breakout season. I agree with the overrated list. As for underrated, I agree with ochoopsfan on Abrahamson-Henderson. She's building a really nice program at UCF. I might add Jose at SFU to the underrated list as well.

As for having a beer with someone, does Holly Warlick even drink beer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom