Who are some of your favorite past UCONN players? | The Boneyard

Who are some of your favorite past UCONN players?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about the obvious Mt. Rushmore candidates (Stewie, Maya, Dee, Tina, Sue)... I'm talking about others. I often see people on here say "_____ was my all time favorite" - just curious as to the list - I'm sure there will be a lot of players covered.

For me I had to think of players who went 100% with intensity all the time. Shea Ralph, Mel Thomas, Kelly Faris, Kia Nurse, and yes, Danger. But was there ever a better moment of intensity when MoJeff all over Kayla McBride (I think it was her) on an out of bounds play in the NC game AFTER the whistle had blown and play was not live? LOL that was a great moment. I think Mo even gave a wry grin... :D

Reaction Score
For me it would be these five in order:

Mel Thomas; My favorite of all and Congratulations on your induction to the Ohio Hall of Fame
Svetlana Abrosimova; With me being born in another country I liked her from the start
Sue Bird; An inspiration to everyone
Paige Bueckers; This young lady has changed UConn Women's Basketball is now.
Rebecca Lobo; She has made UConn Women's Basketball what it is.

Reaction Score
I was always a big fan of Caroline Doty. Her grit, perseverance.

I remember watching Bria Hartley as a sophomore going head to head against Skylar Diggins and thinking I don't think you can play point better than she's playing.

Ann Strother- You gotta love a great sidekick, robin to a batman. I just felt like she was never afraid of the moment.

Admittedly, I didn't watch as much during the regular season, as I have the past couple years, so I'm over the moon about the kids on the current roster. Paige, Azzi, CD, Nika, really like them all.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For me it's Shea Ralph, Kerry Bascom, Renee Montgomery and Kia Nurse.

You knew that when these players were on the court they were giving everything they had. With Renee you knew she was going to do something exciting, something clutch. You knew she had the potential to carry the team on her back. With Shea and Kia you knew they would never give the opponent an inch, but would give their team a mile. They both played with spit and a snarl, and they always drew a line in the sand that said "here you shall not cross". But Kerry I wanted to hug after every game. Not only because of her effort and personality, but because when she was out there you knew that UConn belonged. UConn was good enough. UConn was relevant, and UConn had a chance to win.

Call me crazy, but I miss Kerry's times and those scrappy teams the most. I wasn't on any forums then, and even on this one I now prefer to speak about basketball, its nuts and bolts, rather than players and potential. But Geno was running pretty much the same chin offense with that pistol even then. Some things never change.

Reaction Score
Gabby Williams is my favorite UConn player ever. She came to UConn an incredible athlete and good basketball player and she left as one of the best basketball players in the country. She was willing to do whatever the team needed to win and played with incredible intensity on both ends of the court.

Before Gabby, I would have said either Kelly Faris or Maya Moore. Growing up, it was so easy to idolize Sue and Diana, and in the years after they graduated, I loved watching Barbara Turner. Stef Dolson was also a favorite of mine over her 4 years; each year she added something new to her game and she was one of the most important pieces to some of the best UConn teams with her defense and her passing, screening, and vision on the offensive end.

Stewie and Paige have been incredible players who've been a joy to watch and I'm excited to see what Paige can do over her next two years. And on the current roster, Nika and Aaliyah play with a ton of energy and effort, they're both so much fun to watch.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
But Kerry I wanted to hug after every game. Not only because of her effort and personality, but because when she was out there you knew that UConn belonged. UConn was good enough. UConn was relevant, and UConn had a chance to win.

Call me crazy, but I miss Kerry's times and those scrappy teams the most. I wasn't on any forums then, and even on this one I now prefer to speak about basketball, its nuts and bolts, rather than players and potential. But Geno was running pretty much the same chin offense with that pistol even then. Some things never change.
Wow @JordyG !!! We started watching the team after discovering we worked with Laura Lishness' dad. He was pretty quiet and humble about it, and when he shared, we were like, why didn't you tell us??? Back then there weren't a lot of games on tv, but we tried to catch as many as we could, and then CPTV came, and it was awesome.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can't play by your rules, because I have always been a shameless elitist when it comes to picking my favorites even though at UConn that pinnacle has a pretty huge number of athletes crowded upon it.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit "more recent" than a lot of folks on here on the BY in following UCONN WBB, and I never saw Sveta, Sue, Diana, Rebecca and some of the other UCONN "greats"... although I love the videos of them playing and watching the development of the legacy of UCONN WBB over the Years. My experience starts in the Stewie years... so my "favorites" start there too...and include:
- Stewie - The reasons are obvious!
- Mo - Loved how her offense and defensive games developed over the 4 years.
- Kia - The player from Up North... crazy good defense and her offensive game developed very well over the 4 years.
- Gabby - She was awesome on defense, routinely called upon to defend much BIGGER players. Her passing was crazy good. A real TEAM player
- Phee - Such a force scoring the ball. Loved watching her team up with her classmate.
- KLS - Such a fantastic shooter! I feel very confident if it weren't for her many injuries, she would have been in the top 1 or 2 of UCONN history in 3pt shots made, points and others. Who can ever forget her 10 for 10 game vs USF in the AAC championship game. And her passing was so good!
- Danger - Her speed, versatility and will to win! I still remember her 1st game in Gampel vs Baylor. She made critical shots despite the stage and the quality of the team they were up against.
- Paige - Her freshman year was incredible. Winning every NPOY award she was eligible for sets her up as one of the best ever. Her return from the knee injury this year was inspiring.

There are others in the pipeline who can get on this list ... such as Azzi and Caroline, and surely others to follow.

I love this team. UCONN WBB is played the way Naismith intended it to be played!!! :D:D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about the obvious Mt. Rushmore candidates (Stewie, Maya, Dee, Tina, Sue)... I'm talking about others. I often see people on here say "_____ was my all time favorite" - just curious as to the list - I'm sure there will be a lot of players covered.

For me I had to think of players who went 100% with intensity all the time. Shea Ralph, Mel Thomas, Kelly Faris, Kia Nurse, and yes, Danger. But was there ever a better moment of intensity when MoJeff all over Kayla McBride (I think it was her) on an out of bounds play in the NC game AFTER the whistle had blown and play was not live? LOL that was a great moment. I think Mo even gave a wry grin... :D
It was Mo and she got rather sheepish about it, just before she bull dog locked on again.

Reaction Score
1. Jamelle Elliott- who I would have modeled my game after if I had been a basketball player. No nonsense, just get the job done to the best of your ability every time you are on the court. No excuses made, none tolerated.
2. Svetlana Abrosimova- it took a lot of courage and determination for her to come to UConn and she was so much fun to watch. Also, I loved the way she made Geno's head explode at times ;)
3. Nika Muhl- I just love the way she plays. Whenever she steps on the court you just know something is going to happen.

There are others but those are my top 3.

Reaction Score
I'm relatively new to WBB - my fandom began in 2007-08 season - but for me it's Rebecca Lobo. She accomplished a lot on the court but she has really excelled as a voice for WBB at the national level.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
So many but for me its Moriah Jefferson (hence the avatar). UCONN has had some great PG's but her profession over the course of her career was an absolute joy to watch and the perfect match for Stewie and Morgan.

Kelly Faris who was one of the best defenders to come through the program. She was shadowed by playing in the Brittney Griner era or I believe she could have been a NDPOY.

Shea Ralph was so much fun to watch play! She was all over the court and a competitor.

Reaction Score
Maya Moore, Kia Nurse, and Caroline Doty. Liking Dorka Juhasz as well. All known for working hard with different levels of ability to maximum their game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom