Who’s winning the portal? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who’s winning the portal?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Is that what they are basing this off of? I thought it was just incoming players.

edit--if we wanna do "who's losing the portal?" it's gotta be Oregon St. by a landslide
Arkansas’s right there too. Brutal off-season for Neighbors, losing 4 double digit scorers to the portal. Likely will be a bottom dweller in the SEC this upcoming year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

UCLA and Oklahoma should be on here too. Kind of a bummer though to see all of the talent consolidated in the SEC and Big Ten. I hope the ACC and Big 12 can stay relevant in the national picture long term. UCONN too once Geno retires. Having talent spread across the country is good for the sport.

Reaction Score
Arkansas’s right there too. Brutal off-season for Neighbors, losing 4 double digit scorers to the portal. Likely will be a bottom dweller in the SEC this upcoming year.
His job is starting to look vulnerable, which is something I never thought I would say about Neighbors. I would probably put him #2 on the most likely fired SEC coach list at the end of next season. With that said, I doubt anyone but Pingeton is fired after next season, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was an out-of-left-field firing of someone like Joni Taylor. Neighbors will probably get one more year to turn it around due to his prior history.

Reaction Score
Oregon makes a late charge. Seriously, I was wondering if they'd have enough players when the portal kicked off and they are gonna end up with 15 players on the roster. Last time they had a deep roster, ~2020 with Paopao, Jaz Shelley, Taylor Chavez, Taylor Mikessell, Maddie Scherr, I think Graves kinda struggled with it, although they did make the tournament that year. Seemed like a lot of players were not happy and did not know their role. Paopao had quite a bit of hype, honestly their whole freshman class did, but it seemed like they did not know who their best player was. I don't think they'll have that same problem. Deja is their go-to player. Philli and Amina their clear starters in the front court. It's just the other guard and wing positions there are a lot of options. Here's the lineup that I'd want to see:

Peyton Scott
Deja Kelly
Faith Ehis Etute
Amina Muhammed
Philli Kyei

But I really like their all their players. First five off the bench:

Kate Fisio
Ari Long
Nani Falatea
Salimatou Korouma
Sofia Bell

Notre Dame also made a late push as well. Liatu King and Liza Karlen is nothing to sneeze at. But I kinda feel their biggest acquisition is Olivia Miles and Prosper coming back. So they may be a 1 seed and better next year but I'd feel like its kinda not accurate to say it was the portal class.

Reaction Score
Oregon makes a late charge. Seriously, I was wondering if they'd have enough players when the portal kicked off and they are gonna end up with 15 players on the roster. Last time they had a deep roster, ~2020 with Paopao, Jaz Shelley, Taylor Chavez, Taylor Mikessell, Maddie Scherr, I think Graves kinda struggled with it, although they did make the tournament that year. Seemed like a lot of players were not happy and did not know their role. Paopao had quite a bit of hype, honestly their whole freshman class did, but it seemed like they did not know who their best player was. I don't think they'll have that same problem. Deja is their go-to player. Philli and Amina their clear starters in the front court. It's just the other guard and wing positions there are a lot of options. Here's the lineup that I'd want to see:

Peyton Scott
Deja Kelly
Faith Ehis Etute
Amina Muhammed
Philli Kyei

Kate Fisio
Ari Long
Nani Falatea
Salimatou Korouma
Sofia Bell

Notre Dame also made a late push as well. Liatu King and Liza Karlen is nothing to sneeze at. But I kinda feel their biggest acquisition is Olivia Miles and Prosper coming back. So they may be a 1 seed and better next year but I'd feel like its kinda not accurate to say it was the portal class.
Oregon does have a nice collection of talent but that’s been the case for most of the last four or five seasons and Graves has generally fumbled the catch. I think this is his last shot, though. I don’t see how he can survive if Oregon doesn’t make the tournament again. If he can fuse the pieces together they’ll be solid. I really like Muhammed.

Reaction Score
Leaving in the portal is a problem, so yes you can win the portal by not having players leave in it.
Sometimes a player leaving in the portal is a net plus. If it is not a player that would be used in a contested game, the available roster spot for a player to be named later, whether in the portal or an extra high school recruit could be worth much more.

That is not as big factor if a team is nowhere close to their roster limit, but if they are, the opportunity cost can be high to have a relatively unused player on the roster.

Reaction Score

How times have changed. It was just a month ago .jk. Portal championship still in contention. But I think UCLA, Oregon, and Notre Dame entered the chat in a big way. Oklahoma probably had my favorite pickup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sadly there are more losers than winners in the portal. Kids get left behind. Schools play chess with players. And it seems that the strong only get stronger. Rules need to get updated.
"Schools play chess with players." And players are playing "Backpack the US".

"The strong only get stronger." From a UConn fan? Really M'Lord?

"Rules need to get updated." Uhm, that's what this is.

"kids get left behind."Huh??????? Left behind?????????? this is nonsence. The might lose at musical chairs, but it's their decision to leave their team.

Reaction Score
"Schools play chess with players." And players are playing "Backpack the US".

"The strong only get stronger." From a UConn fan? Really M'Lord?

"Rules need to get updated." Uhm, that's what this is.

"kids get left behind."Huh??????? Left behind?????????? this is nonsence. The might lose at musical chairs, but it's their decision to leave their team.
Re your last point, that's not entirely true. There are players who aren't given a choice by their coaches. If the coach isn't renewing the scholarship or willing to honour an NLI that was signed if a coaching change occurs, what choice do they have? The percentage may be small, but they enter the portal because they have no other option.

Reaction Score
Re your last point, that's not entirely true. There are players who aren't given a choice by their coaches. If the coach isn't renewing the scholarship or willing to honour an NLI that was signed if a coaching change occurs, what choice do they have? The percentage may be small, but they enter the portal because they have no other option.

I thought in the last 10 years a bunch of schools had moved to guaranteed 4-year scholarships?

Reaction Score
I thought in the last 10 years a bunch of schools had moved to guaranteed 4-year scholarships?
Quite a few have from what I'm aware of, but that hasn't stopped programs from telling players they should look for another program. I have quite a few friends with kids in NCAA right now and the stories I've heard were surprising.

Reaction Score
Don't think many transfers are happening because scholarships are pulled in a 15 player roster.

In every sport everywhere players are told that they probably aren't good enough to play much or at all.

Nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
Don't think many transfers are happening because scholarships are pulled in a 15 player roster.

In every sport everywhere players are told that they probably aren't good enough to play much or at all.

Nothing wrong with that.
No there isn't but the assumption that all of the transfers are by choice isn't accurate. That was my point in my previous post.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Peyton Scott
Deja Kelly
Faith Ehis Etute
Amina Muhammed
Philli Kyei

Kate Fisio
Ari Long
Nani Falatea
Salimatou Korouma
Sofia Bell

When ESPN wrote a story about about the top incoming classes a few weeks back, I noted it was from Shane Laflin, who is contracted to write about HS recruiting. But it struck me that programs retool their rosters every year with a combination of HS recruits, transfers, retentions, people coming back from injury. It's a strange kind of holistic approach.

With ND, they've got:
  • HS Recruit: Kate Koval (just one, but it's a 6'5" center)
  • Transfer portal: Liatu King and Liza Karlen (as noted)
  • Back from injury: Olivia Miles, Cass Prosper, Emma Risch, a sharp-shooting tall guard.
  • Retention: KK Bransford, who entered and pulled out of the portal and former walk-on Sarah Cernugel, a super locker-room presence.

Coach Ivey likes her teams right and tight, so those HS and transfer additions were highly selective. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
The portal. For now, it is what it is. I support athletes wanting to move along, but this process needs constant monitoring. zi mean the number of players entering alone signifies that it needs work. I think players should be able to play immediately, however, I'm for placing a limit of times a player can transfer without some form of penalty for lack of a better word. Maybe after 2, you can transfer, but sit out a year or lose a year of eligibility, if you have any remaining to lose. I find myself gradually losing interest at times because of all the side shows. I don't even like the excuse that my coach left so that entitles me to leave. If my professor or supervisor left, I may not like it, but that is always a possibility. Right now, there seems to be an imbalance between the game...and the games people, schools and media companies play. I'm not feeling it.

Reaction Score
The portal. For now, it is what it is. I support athletes wanting to move along, but this process needs constant monitoring. zi mean the number of players entering alone signifies that it needs work. I think players should be able to play immediately, however, I'm for placing a limit of times a player can transfer without some form of penalty for lack of a better word. Maybe after 2, you can transfer, but sit out a year or lose a year of eligibility, if you have any remaining to lose. I find myself gradually losing interest at times because of all the side shows. I don't even like the excuse that my coach left so that entitles me to leave. If my professor or supervisor left, I may not like it, but that is always a possibility. Right now, there seems to be an imbalance between the game...and the games people, schools and media companies play. I'm not feeling it.
They already tried a variation of your idea and it failed in the legal system. I'm not keeping up with it, but I believe the NCAA will be instituting an academic requirement for transfer eligibility. The NCAA can only control transfers via academic requirements without facing legal repercussions.

Reaction Score
When ESPN wrote a story about about the top incoming classes a few weeks back, I noted it was from Shane Laflin, who is contracted to write about HS recruiting. But it struck me that programs retool their rosters every year with a combination of HS recruits, transfers, retentions, people coming back from injury. It's a strange kind of holistic approach.

With ND, they've got:
  • HS Recruit: Kate Koval (just one, but it's a 6'5" center)
  • Transfer portal: Liatu King and Liza Karlen (as noted)
  • Back from injury: Olivia Miles, Cass Prosper, Emma Risch, a sharp-shooting tall guard.
  • Retention: KK Bransford, who entered and pulled out of the portal and former walk-on Sarah Cernugel, a super locker-room presence.

Coach Ivey likes her teams right and tight, so those HS and transfer additions were highly selective. Stay tuned.
So you're saying ND won the off-season. Jk

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom