Who’s winning the portal? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who’s winning the portal?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
To say USC "only" made it to the Elite 8 doesn't provide proper context. Considering where USC was the previous season, making it to the Elite 8 was a huge accomplishment and the transfers who came in helped with this. For their program, their efforts in the transfer portal paid off.
Fair observation. I was trying to make a point about by declaring a winner in the portal this early, there's no contact of what happens as the regular season plays out. Success as a result of portal transactions can be measured in a number of ways.

Reaction Score
Fair observation. I was trying to make a point about by declaring a winner in the portal this early, there's no contact of what happens as the regular season plays out. Success as a result of portal transactions can be measured in a number of ways.
Yes I specified at the top that there was a long way to go, and my question was "who is winning" (in progress) and not "who won".

Folks don't wait to start ranking HS recruiting classes until every single person has declared; this is no different. And allows a way to track the progress as it stands.

Reaction Score
I'm with you there. Personally I'm not a fan of the "portal winners" discussions. It's like NFL/NHL/NBA free agent rankings. They're great for water cooler discussions but the results are mixed for the teams in question in the end.

Reaction Score
Not sure I'd make a guess until the end of next season. LSU was seen as one of the winners of the portal this past year (Hailey Van Lith, Morrow), and yet, they only made it to the elite 8. USC had five transfers in, notably 3 Ivy grad transfers, and only made it to the E8. In the final four, UConn & Iowa had no transfers in , NCSU had 2, and S Carolina only had one transfer (Paopao).

Two transfers, if you can count JUCO transfer Walker. Are JUCOs an official part of the "portal"??

Overall, I would consider South Carolina the "winner" of the portal season, if my interpretation has any value. To possibly come away from the portal season without a single acquisition, and still be regarded as a front-runner to win it all next season, would make the Gamecocks' portal season a raving success, wouldn't y'all say? I mean, how can you trash it?? If you try to explain the value of a strong portal season for ANY program, and what it would mean for their programs chances next season......

Reaction Score
Two transfers, if you can count JUCO transfer Walker. Are JUCOs an official part of the "portal"??

Overall, I would consider South Carolina the "winner" of the portal season, if my interpretation has any value. To possibly come away from the portal season without a single acquisition, and still be regarded as a front-runner to win it all next season, would make the Gamecocks' portal season a raving success, wouldn't y'all say? I mean, how can you trash it?? If you try to explain the value of a strong portal season for ANY program, and what it would mean for their programs chances next season......
Kamilla was also a transfer

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Not sure I'd make a guess until the end of next season. LSU was seen as one of the winners of the portal this past year (Hailey Van Lith, Morrow), and yet, they only made it to the elite 8. USC had five transfers in, notably 3 Ivy grad transfers, and only made it to the E8. In the final four, UConn & Iowa had no transfers in , NCSU had 2, and S Carolina only had one transfer (Paopao).
'only the elite 8': Where you finish in the NCAA tourney is not really the only definition of how good you are. Sometimes, you get the right draw and sometimes a key opponent loses early opening the bracket for you.

LSU '23 never had to face South Carolina and won the title with an ok team. LSU '24 at least equal or better, but had a tough draw this time with UCLA and then Iowa in elite 8.

Similarly a surprise team like Creighton or Oregon State making elite 8 is positive, but it's a disaster if you are a favorite to win it all.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
I'm with you there. Personally I'm not a fan of the "portal winners" discussions. It's like NFL/NHL/NBA free agent rankings. They're great for water cooler discussions but the results are mixed for the teams in question in the end.
I agree. The way things are going though, we'll soon be talking about a Holiday trade window with trade deadline on Jan 15 to allow mid season swaps just prior to start of 2nd semester.

Reaction Score
This argument is fluid but right now USC is killing it with the portal:

Huge.
Adds talent and experience, and USC will need a lot of the latter with all those frosh.
Will also allow the frosh to come along more slowly.

With juju Marshall tvo and Kiki, they’ve likely got 4 starters. One frosh starts, and the rest add depth off the bench.

Reaction Score
Huge.
Adds talent and experience, and USC will need a lot of the latter with all those frosh.
Will also allow the frosh to come along more slowly.

With juju Marshall tvo and Kiki, they’ve likely got 4 starters. One frosh starts, and the rest add depth off the bench.
Furthermore if those 4 start along with their top frosh Laura Williams, that gives them a starting 5 of 5'11, 6'2, 6'2, 6'3, 6'4.

Kiki & TVO were only possible because Bigby and K Williams transferred out. That really is portal mastery.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Looks like USC catapulted themselves to the head of the class! Coach Gottlieb got some players! If they buy in and embrace their roles and minutes on the team, USC is going to be a problem!

5061b77414cbd6db170b3d70a4261cc7.jpg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
USC, UCLA, Oklahoma and Ohio State look like the biggest winners to me. Maryland cleaned up nicely too along with TCU, LSU and Auburn. Also very curious to see Vonleh play at Baylor, she’s one of the better players in the country that doesn’t get talked about enough. And Olsen at Iowa is going to be fun to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom