Which Husky represents UConn more?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Where is the all white emblem?

I did this up quickly so people could get an idea of what it might look like. Nothing official.

photo.JPG

Reaction Score
I see 3 possible outcomes from all this. 1. After a relatively brief period, UConn quietly modifies the new coke toupee dog and replaces it with something more traditional. They can't do it right away because no doubt Nike already has next season's designs in the works and the new t-shirts and such are already being printed. So they have to use it for a year.
2. UConn recognizes the error of their ways and announces that the old logo is being brought back. I think that is unlikely but possible. By the way, Muncey's comments that they needed a new logo to unify the look among teams...nonsense. Nike wanted that.
3. UConn pretty much becomes the dominant "logo" sort of like what Pitt has done. Oh you see a panther here and there, but its a relatively minor element in their identity. Replace the Husky logo at mid-court and Center Ice and mid-field with UCONN. I suspect that might be where we're heading, in which case the Husky can be pretty much anything. Maybe a small one shows up on a football uniform or "woven" into the basketball jersey, but it isn't a major element. The hats say UCONN. the facilities all say UCONN, the Uniforms all say UCONN. Over the past 2 decades the Husky logo has been the main identifier. That might be the real change in all this.

Reaction Score
The blue is what is being used and that's not going to change anytime soon. If you don't like it don't buy it. I'm sure plenty of market research went into this design, and the blue won out. I personally think it looks much better.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I see 3 possible outcomes from all this. 1. After a relatively brief period, UConn quietly modifies the new coke toupee dog and replaces it with something more traditional. They can't do it right away because no doubt Nike already has next season's designs in the works and the new t-shirts and such are already being printed. So they have to use it for a year.
2. UConn recognizes the error of their ways and announces that the old logo is being brought back. I think that is unlikely but possible. By the way, Muncey's comments that they needed a new logo to unify the look among teams...nonsense. Nike wanted that.
3. UConn pretty much becomes the dominant "logo" sort of like what Pitt has done. Oh you see a panther here and there, but its a relatively minor element in their identity. Replace the Husky logo at mid-court and Center Ice and mid-field with UCONN. I suspect that might be where we're heading, in which case the Husky can be pretty much anything. Maybe a small one shows up on a football uniform or "woven" into the basketball jersey, but it isn't a major element. The hats say UCONN. the facilities all say UCONN, the Uniforms all say UCONN. Over the past 2 decades the Husky logo has been the main identifier. That might be the real change in all this.

They may potentially go with an all white face, but I don't see a reversion back to the old "lick your face off" logo.

PITT's logo was a Scripted font "Pitt" written in a lighter blue and yellow before they went to "PITTSBURGH"and the panther in a darker blue and gold. The Administration didn't like the negative connotation of the word and they tried to be known as Pittsburgh. At least if they shared the same name as the city in which they are located it wouldn't sound as bad. Afterall, no one says "Pitt Steelers," "Pitt Pirates," or "Pitt Penguins"...As it turnd out, no one unofficially (i.e. students and fans) referred to them as such. Now they have reverted back to PITT, but in the same classy dark blue and gold. There was no reversion to the old logo.

At least UConn is referred to as UConn on a regular basis.

Reaction Score
The blue is what is being used and that's not going to change anytime soon. If you don't like it don't buy it. I'm sure plenty of market research went into this design, and the blue won out. I personally think it looks much better.
I'm leaning towards my option #3. I suspect that within a year or so the Husky logo will become a very minor element in the UConn athletic marketing package. It will be used more like the Pitt panther, the Oregon Duck, the Rutgers Scarlet Knight which has mostly been replaced by the block R, the UCLA Bruin, the Mountaineer of West Virginia...they all exist, and they show up from time to time, but they are afterthoughts. I suspect that is what will happen with the Husky logo too, and in 2-3 years there will be a few versions, just as there are a few scarlet knights and a few variations on the Bruin and the Duck.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I've decided!!!!!

I like the Blue better (while still standing behind my comment on the white logo on a metallic blue helmet). No offense intended toward Penfield and his expert Photoshop abilities, but I think the all white logo too closely resembles a polar bear.

There needs to be some contrast akin to my new avatar.

Reaction Score
I've decided!!!!!

I like the Blue better (while still standing behind my comment on the white logo on a metallic blue helmet). No offense intended toward Penfield and his expert Photoshop abilities, but I think the all white logo too closely resembles a polar bear.

There needs to be some contrast akin to my new avatar.

This is a striking resemblance to your avi. Wolf my as*

8823413-1.jpeg

Husky25

Reaction Score
This is a striking resemblance to your avi. Wolf my as*

View attachment 2766
I searched for "Siberian Husky" on Yahoo. My avatar is one of the images that came up. An image of a white dog didn't pop up until page 3.

Reaction Score
They may potentially go with an all white face, but I don't see a reversion back to the old "lick your face off" logo.

PITT's logo was a Scripted font "Pitt" written in a lighter blue and yellow before they went to "PITTSBURGH"and the panther in a darker blue and gold. The Administration didn't like the negative connotation of the word and they tried to be known as Pittsburgh. At least if they shared the same name as the city in which they are located it wouldn't sound as bad. Afterall, no one says "Pitt Steelers," "Pitt Pirates," or "Pitt Penguins"...As it turnd out, no one unofficially (i.e. students and fans) referred to them as such. Now they have reverted back to PITT, but in the same classy dark blue and gold. There was no reversion to the old logo.

At least UConn is referred to as UConn on a regular basis.
I agree that it is unlikely that they go back to the "original" logo. I think its more likely that they go in the direction of Pitt and pretty much eliminate the use of the husky logo entirely, or if not entirely, at least mostly. How often do you see the Pitt Panther on anything? Or the UCLA Bruin or the Oregon Duck? they exist and show up on occasion but it isn't a major element. I think that will be the final outcome here, too. UCONN will be the primary identifier. And the word Huskies. But the logo, not so much. Over time it will be dropped entirely or replaced by something more like the white "penfield husky" and nobody will really say anything publicly.

Reaction Score
In fact, we know that they asked Ollie, PP, Geno and several players. Presumably they are "fans" and part of the "UConn Community". I initially thought the white one from Pen might be better, but looking at them side by side, it is just too plain. It also looks even more wolf-like and agressive. The blue accents without the mask cause that effect.

I'm cool with the blue one, and agree that the white one looks too plain, but it was just a quick edit by Penfield to see how it would look. If the accents & highlights were redone in the right places, the white one could work.

Reaction Score
I searched for "Siberian Husky" on Yahoo. My avatar is one of the images that came up. An image of a white dog didn't pop up until page 3.
I searched on google and it was on page 1, so who knows what arrangements these search engines have...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My guess is none of the above. There is no error. This is the logo and it is a major upgrade. Yes UCONN will also be more prominent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sure, this might spare me as it would be smaller...

Still, the husky has blue shading on the top of its head. We're all going to have to make our peace with that.
Wishful thinking - they're sizes are 11.5 and 10.

Reaction Score
If the blue version stays, they then need to phase out the all white Jonathons to match. Or change the blue to white. It has to be all white huskies or regular huskies. Uconn is the only school that has an all white husky, that made us unique, there are many regular husky logos out there. I think the blue version waters down our identity.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I just improved the logo in 5 minutes on paint erasing all the blue but the outline so the face has shape to it. It actually looks like a white dog.

Reaction Score
Maybe...if enough fans are concerned about keeping with the unique traditional white look that no other husky teams have.

I'm actually in favor of the blue/white one, but I may just vote for white to see you eat a shoe.

Reaction Score
Which Husky represents UConn more? Penfield's white one or the blue toupee?

Cobalt And Ivory Live Together In Perfect Harmony
Side By Side On My Husky Logo, Oh Lord, Why Don't We?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Actually, apparently, it's the lack of any pigment at the crown of a dog's head. Without that, we're nothing.

GET RID OF THAT AVATAR!!! I went to the University of Connecticut. Not the University of Oak Leaf!!! Do you know how badly you are misrepresenting the Unversity without the state crest in that seal? For shame, '08!

Edit: The original quote in 1999 referred to the University of Oak, not Oak leaf. Husky25 regrets the mistake.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm not a huge fan of the all-white one. I can't quite pin it...maybe something to do with the lack of contrast? The blue one looks a lot better, IMO.

You did a great job on it, Pen, but I just prefer the blue one.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Whichever logo brings more NC's to UConn and gets UConn into a conference with a better payout to it's members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom