While we're waiting for the conclusion of this season...next season! | The Boneyard

While we're waiting for the conclusion of this season...next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Just because I'm anxious...

UConn will most likely be the preseason #1 (unless Louisville upsets UConn tomorrow, in which case they might get the nod in a split). The Huskies figure to be very, very good:

Starters- Moriah, Bria, KML, Breanna, Stef, with very liberal helpings of Tuck, and Stokes, Banks (hopefully), and Chong off the bench. The roster is a little light if there are injuries, but what a nine-player rotation that has the potential to be. Certainly, they're going to be the favorites to win it all. Who can stop them?

Louisville- whatever happens tomorrow, Louisville retains the core of a team that made a run to the finals. Can they be a threat pillar to post next season?

Tennessee- A lot of talent returns, plus Mercedes Russell figures to make an immediate impact.

Duke- the talent is certainly there. Can they take the next step?

Notre Dame- with the departure of Diggins, it will be up to Lloyd, Achonwa, and McBride to carry the torch, along with a number of talented role-players with potential. Can they stay in the hunt for a Final Four?

Baylor- I obviously expect a dropoff with the graduation of Griner, but Sims is a force to be reckoned with. I don't see them challenging UConn, but Sims can win some games by herself.

Kentucky- maybe? Probably not. The divide seems to be widening between UK and UConn.

Texas A&M- they disappointed in the tourney, and Bone is leaving, but that is one stellar recruiting class Blair reeled in for 2012. With a year of college ball under their belts, can that class start paying big-time dividends for the defending SEC champs?

Who else out there could be a factor? I expect UNC to need a year before the talented 2013 recruiting class makes a real impact. Cal seems like a pretender to me. Anyone else?

Stanford- Chiney would be my preseason pick to win NPOY, but can Kokenis come back? Another #1 seed seems likely, but do they have the horses to be a real threat to go the distance?

Maryland- had a pretty solid season despite being ravaged by injuries. Better luck next year?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think KML and Stewart can make a serious run for NPOY.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think KML and Stewart can make a serious run for NPOY.
I do too- I just think they'll end up splitting votes, thereby allowing Chiney (or possibly Sims) to take it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO UCONN, Notre Dame, Duke and Maryland will be at the top most of the season. I think UCONN and Duke have the most talent and Duke returns their AA PG Chelsey Gray, plus they add 2 kids in the top 10 - a wing and a forward. Maryland loses Hawkins but gets back their injured starting PG as well as another guard who was injured, and adds another top 15 guard. ND loses Diggins, and back up PG but they add a top 10 post and top 20 PG to their roster.

In no particular order, Louisville, Stanford, Kentucky, UNC, Tennessee and maybe a few others will be in the next tier. I think people are overestimtaing the impact Russell will have and underestimating the fact that in the NCAA's, the 2 best players on their roster (Spani and Williams) will be leaving. Plus 2 of their guards are coming back from injuries - one recruit (Tucker) and and one current player (Carter). L'ville loses no starters but really doesn't add a great impact player (they do get a top 40 kid).

Kentucky loses Mathias but they add Harper, who I think is an uber-stud. UNC had a surprisingly good season and lose Gross and Ruffin-Pratt. They have the best class in the nation coming in, but it remains to be seen how well they play together as a team. Stanford only loses Tinkle, but top 10 recruit Bebe should be back healthy and add McCall, Johnson and Samuelson - a trio with some good potential. And don't forget about Vandy - I think they lost 2 or 3 starters to injuries and do have a pair of top 25 kids coming in for 2013.

Again, just my opinion. I'm sure some kids will surprise, others disappoint, and sadly injuries will impact teams at times too... If i have to preseason rank the teams...

UCONN
Duke
Maryland
Notre Dame
Stanford
Louisville
Tennessee
Kentucky
UNC
Vandy

Forgot to mention Baylor. Simms is great. But they lose way too much. Preseason I probably would have them somewhere around 20 altho if i really had to look at the other teams I might move them up based on the general lack of top level talent elsewhere.

By the way, any year UCONN is picked to win it all is a down year in WCBB. <sarcasm alert>...

Reaction Score
On the subject of depth ...

A lot of people (not including you here Alex) think about depth just in terms of how many players are in the rotation. More important is how many guys deserve starter or near-starter minutes. In UConn's case I think we will have at least six who deserve starter minutes--Alex's starters plus Morgan. plus two--Banks and Stokes--who deserve near starter minutes. as a result we could easily withstand one injury, and even two might not be a huge problem.

one of the problems in the Maya years was not just the number of guys in the rotation but that the quality dropped off fast after the starting five. not the case next year. to the extent one can say this early on, this looks like a very deep team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maryland loses Hawkins, which may really hurt, but they get back Moseley and Mincy. They add HG #15, 43, 55, and 70.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that Baylor will start the season outside the top 10, but just as EDD did for UD, Sims will have them in the top 10 by the end of the season. Baylor will have 4 McDAAs in Johnson, Sims, Prince and Small. Imani Wright was just outside of the McAA conversation with a 31 ranking, so Baylor will have a very strong group of guards. If Higgins can provide a good post presence and Nina Davis, the Tennessee Gatorade Player of the Year, can provide a spark at the 4 position, don't be surprised to see Baylor in the Elit 8, although a Final Four is most likely out of reach.

Reaction Score
I agree that Baylor could be in the mix for Elite 8. It will be very interesting to see Sims without Griner. Arguably the last ten minutes of the Lville game were just that. If so then Sims will acquit herself very very well. She put the team on her shoulders and almost singlehandedly salvaged the game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nobody thinks North Carolina will be worth a mention despite the amazing recruiting class that they have attracted to go with Xylina McDaniel?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nobody thinks North Carolina will be worth a mention despite the amazing recruiting class that they have attracted to go with Xylina McDaniel?

They will finish 4th in the ACC next year. Not sure if thats worth a mention or not. But perhaps Im not the best person to analyze their chances :p

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee also adds Tucker, and Carter back in lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom